• Tapatalk and Mobile iOS/ Android APPs no longer supported on aussiefrogs.com. Please delete on your device. Use the web interface instead.

Out & about

gilberthenry

Covid 19 has put all our lives upside down.

For some of us it has given a push to get things done. In our case its mainly been getting the Model T up and running for “touring mode”. The ’68 Safari is nearly back together and the Vauxhall vagabond is getting some attention that it needs.

Michael has been busy getting the odd Hupmobile going plus landrovers and a '23 Buick ute.

Be interesting to know whether there are people out there getting the odd vintage Citroen up & running

Although we haven’t been getting out much the Big 6 and the D Special are always ready, yesterday out shopping and topping up our mineral water - - in the snow- - Daylesford.

John

Attachments

• buick-G-6-20.jpg
    buick-G-6-20.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Hup-goes-4.jpg
    Hup-goes-4.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 133
  • ford t 22.jpg
    ford t 22.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 130
  • ford t 23.jpg
    ford t 23.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Ford-4.jpg
    Ford-4.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 124
  • Ford-6.jpg
    Ford-6.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 128
  • DS Sept covid-1.jpg
    DS Sept covid-1.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 135
  • DS Sept covid-2.jpg
    DS Sept covid-2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 139
  • DS Sept covid-3.jpg
    DS Sept covid-3.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 138
  • DS Sept covid-4.jpg
    DS Sept covid-4.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

gilberthenry

I’ve just started the ’68 Safari after probably 2 years or so while I put a reconditioned steering rack in and an overhauled left side rear Safari ram.

So far so good. The high pressure pump is dripping but that’s fine as I have a reconditioned one that Steeley at Just Cits Maleny way in Queensland did for me.

So far so good. I don’t come close to having the mechanical expertise that the whiz kids on this site have but I might have pulled it off.

Thankyou again for all the help

John.

Attachments

• DS-68-NEWELL-JAN-2012-bw.jpg
    DS-68-NEWELL-JAN-2012-bw.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 62

gilberthenry

It looks like I’m okay. The nut tightening the grommet on the high pressure pump needed adjusting up. One always has to be careful not to over tighten these so hopefully there will be no leaks when taking it for a drive after re-assembling.

I’m getting excited as this will probably be the car we’ll use on our next road trip. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Bit different working on a "DS" than relining the 3 bands on the model T - - - riveting Kevlar linings to each !! - - - and making that brass matchbox holder took me the best part of half a day. Lance at DS Motors always said that I was best at polishing ashtrays - - - I bumble along with the mechanicals - - kicking & screaming.

John.

Attachments

• SAF-SEPT-1.jpg
    SAF-SEPT-1.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 113
  • SAF-SEPT-2.jpg
    SAF-SEPT-2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 123
  • SAF-SEPT-3.jpg
    SAF-SEPT-3.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 127
  • SAF-SEPT-5.jpg
    SAF-SEPT-5.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 124
  • SAF-SEPT-6.jpg
    SAF-SEPT-6.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 120
  • SAF-SEPT-4.jpg
    SAF-SEPT-4.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 118
  • open hogs-h-1.jpg
    open hogs-h-1.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 120
  • open hogs-h-2.jpg
    open hogs-h-2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Johno1

Thanks for the pics,

I am curious about the interior of the safari as I am working on the same year model ID19B with the same Colour/style interior.

I was wondering if you have done any work on the upholstery or tried painting the dash?

Cheers
John

gilberthenry

Thanks for the pics,

I am curious about the interior of the safari as I am working on the same year model ID19B with the same Colour/style interior.

I was wondering if you have done any work on the upholstery or tried painting the dash?

Cheers
John
The outside is repainted as original - - lemony/white - - - with 2 tone grey roof as the probably pre '69 or'70 had.
Interior is original except centre armrest which is as close as we could get which isn't bad. The vinyl of the original was a bit cracky.
The roof cloth we had done which came up well ( not vinyl as in later cars ).

I did sell a '68 Safari about 2 years ago which we had reupholstered close to original and it came up pretty good. We got $28,000 which was a fair price at the time.
That car had been painted full grey which is unusual but could have been original like that as it was a full import. It had the ignition key/probably lock, under the steering column which I hadn't seen here. I bought it half done and spent some years finishing it off.

I got the original Vic KWM number plates with the car so I got the numbers personalized which I could sell with the car - - - it was a nice touch although its possible that the new owner put the car on red club plates.

It was a car show at Malmsbury where I lifted the left side of the car to the great amusement of the crowd - - - oh, such wonderful engineering.
Michael is next to the car with his 1951 Rover Cyclops.

On the dash of another car I did a bit of a crackle finish but it wasn't great. The grey Safari's dash was still okay I think.

The 2 tone grey roof is very important as this might have been only '67-'68. I can take a pic if you want.

John

Attachments

• Malmsbury-1 2018.jpg
    Malmsbury-1 2018.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 81
  • SAFARI GREY-1.jpg
    SAFARI GREY-1.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 88
  • SAFARI 2007 unloading1.jpg
    SAFARI 2007 unloading1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 87
  • SAFARI 2007 unloading 2.jpg
    SAFARI 2007 unloading 2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 84
  • SAFARI 2007 unloading 3.jpg
    SAFARI 2007 unloading 3.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 84
  • SAFARI project dash 260.jpg
    SAFARI project dash 260.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 84
  • SAFARI project eng 260.jpg
    SAFARI project eng 260.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 82
  • SAFARI project front 260.jpg
    SAFARI project front 260.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

gilberthenry

Nice to see the XM out in some wonderful country.

Had to do a bit of furniture carting so the 1978 Citroen C35 diesel H Van came in handy. Michael owns it now and after a friend helped install new brake discs, which wasn’t easy, it is going “pretty good”. Of course only 2 were brought in by Jim Reddiex of Maxim Motors - - a “ute” and this van. I think the ute might still be in a paddock.

It did a lot of work for us ( about twenty 4000km trips ) when we moved - - - a great bit of engineering.

John

Attachments

• h-van-covid-1.jpg
    h-van-covid-1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 60
  • h-van-covid-2.jpg
    h-van-covid-2.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 62
  • h-van-covid-4.jpg
    h-van-covid-4.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 68
  • h-van-covid-5.jpg
    h-van-covid-5.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 65
  • C35-newell-hwy-2014.jpg
    C35-newell-hwy-2014.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 67

gilberthenry

Thanks for the pics,

Cheers
John

Here are some pics of the 2 tone grey on the roof of our 1968 Safari. This is as original - - - just in case you are interested.

John.

Attachments

• Safari roof-1.jpg
    Safari roof-1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Safari roof-2.jpg
    Safari roof-2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 55

Motorgnome

Nice to see the XM out in some wonderful country.

Had to do a bit of furniture carting so the 1978 Citroen C35 diesel H Van came in handy. Michael owns it now and after a friend helped install new brake discs, which wasn’t easy, it is going “pretty good”. Of course only 2 were brought in by Jim Reddiex of Maxim Motors - - a “ute” and this van. I think the ute might still be in a paddock.

It did a lot of work for us ( about twenty 4000km trips ) when we moved - - - a great bit of engineering.

John
Gee, they really are a big "shed on wheels"!..Love it!

Motorgnome

Really like that dark grey - mine is silver, which seems very bland. Tell us about the wheels - are they 17"?
The wheels cause much "Tutt Tutting & sighing" amongst the Citroen folk.. How dare I mess with the format! I do have an original set, but they require restoring, & I haven't gotten around to it yet .

They are "performance" branded mags, ordered & purchased from the local tyre shop. They are 16". Being 16", they have neeeded a drop in profile from 60 series to 55 to achieve the same overall rolling diameter. I cannot compare ride quality as I wasn't able to drive it when I got it (it had been sitting for 20 years). They look ok, but are a shit to clean. I much prefer a simple painted spoke design, so I think the originals will end up back on it.

bleudanube

Here are some pics of the 2 tone grey on the roof of our 1968 Safari. This is as original - - - just in case you are interested.

John.
John, if you repainted the roof, would you still have the paint codes for the gris palombe? I have parts that give me the ability to match the gris rose for the chassis, but not the darker gris palombe for the roof section... and the paint shops seem to struggle with the AC codes.

Sven

gilberthenry

John, if you repainted the roof, would you still have the paint codes for the gris palombe? I have parts that give me the ability to match the gris rose for the chassis, but not the darker gris palombe for the roof section... and the paint shops seem to struggle with the AC codes.

Sven

Sorry Sven but the car was painted by the Wade family who owned it before me.

John

Johno1

John.

Thanks John
Now I see what you meant by two tone, very slick.

Is it normally Gris Rose?

I was wondering if you could post a photo of the head lining, I assume my sedan would have had the same fabric being 1968?

Cheers
John

gilberthenry

Through all this Covid carry-on there is still joy when fiddling with cars.

The 1968 ID21F Safari sees sunlight again after the steering rack and left rear ram has been done. Surprised at how jaunty this car is - - and so much fun. The ’68 ID19B is also out to do runs to Ballarat and Bendigo and regional areas along with the “74 D Special.

I feel guilty when we use the D Special all the time as I like to spread the work between a few cars. I’ll keep tweaking the Safari for the long road trips.

Michael has been driving his ’54 Light 15 and the ’23 B2 as everyday transport. The B2 here is ours.

John

Attachments

• 2020 oct-a.jpg
    2020 oct-a.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 2020 oct-b.jpg
    2020 oct-b.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 2020 oct-c.jpg
    2020 oct-c.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 79
  • FORD T OCT-20-e.jpg
    FORD T OCT-20-e.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 82
  • FORD T OCT-20-a.jpg
    FORD T OCT-20-a.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 83
  • FORD T OCT-20-c.jpg
    FORD T OCT-20-c.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 83
  • oct 2020-f.jpg
    oct 2020-f.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 82
  • oct 2020-g.jpg
    oct 2020-g.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 84
  • ID19B Trentham10-20-a.jpg
    ID19B Trentham10-20-a.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

gilberthenry

Early November Castlemaine Car Club put out a notice of an “unofficial event” so I got in touch with the odd person to see if we could get a few vintage cars on the go.
We were off in the 1923 B2 Citroen for Mt Franklin between Daylesford and Castlemaine. A friend, Tom, joined us in his 1950 Landrover as he was to be our leader through some gravel road country out the back of Porcupine Ridge.
On arriving at the old volcano we were soon joined by Michael in his 1923 Hupmobile. Peter from Bullarto was not turning up in his 1925 Bullnose Morris Cowley so we had our fingers crossed that he was alright. After another 20 minutes or so he arrived with the explanation that the points in the distributor, which had been put in to replace the magneto a long time ago, had fallen apart. He had coasted into the Shell garage at Daylesford and promptly delved into the tool box to find a spare set.
As often in these areas, people with old cars are farmers who have had the cars for years and - - can fix anything.
After having a picnic morning tea and having a drive of Peter’s Morris Cowley we were off. The Landrover, being such an early one, is happy just poking along just like our Citroen B2 and the Cowley. Michael’s 1923 Hupmobile on the other hand is a big American car with a large long stroke, 4 cylinder, powerful engine with a lot of torque and was ideal for the Australian conditions of long ago.
The Cowley skidded a bit on some very steep down hills as did the B2 on applying brakes. Both, including the Hupmobile have only rear wheel brakes. On some steep climbs the Cowley pulled away from us and as I doubled down into first gear we only just had enough power to get to the top. It made me think that the magneto timing could be advanced a bit which I will do as not long ago I had the maggy done up and I had to do the timing. The Cowley is rated at 11HP and the B2 at 10
All the cars coped very well and none became hot. It is a nuisance that the Citroen B2 doesn’t have manual advance retard as so many cars had in these times.
Next day, Sunday, we put the 1918 Model T on Michael’s trailer to unload at the Ballarat car club clubhouse. As I haven’t driven the T a lot I thought I’d play it safe.
From there we met up with about 6 pre 1921 cars and some early bikes to drive to Meredith, near Steiglitz (near Geelong) to join up with maybe 10 or so mainly veteran cars and bikes - - including a Stanley Steamer of about 1912. The Model T went very well and lopes along in high gear. For the B2 this would have been hard work as we probably travelled 80 – 100 Km.

A good weekend was had by all.

John

Attachments

• B2 vintage run-11-20-e.jpg
    B2 vintage run-11-20-e.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 43
  • B2 vintage run-11-20-g.jpg
    B2 vintage run-11-20-g.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 45
  • B2 vintage run-11-20-v.jpg
    B2 vintage run-11-20-v.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 43
  • f0rd veteran run-11-20-a.jpg
    f0rd veteran run-11-20-a.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 43
  • f0rd veteran run-11-20-c.jpg
    f0rd veteran run-11-20-c.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 43
  • f0rd veteran run-11-20-d.jpg
    f0rd veteran run-11-20-d.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 44
  • f0rd veteran run-11-20-e.jpg
    f0rd veteran run-11-20-e.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 44
  • f0rd veteran run-11-20-g.jpg
    f0rd veteran run-11-20-g.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Landrover-1 vintage run-11-20-b.jpg
    Landrover-1 vintage run-11-20-b.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Landrover-1 vintage run-11-20-f.jpg
    Landrover-1 vintage run-11-20-f.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Great story and pics thanks John! You may be interested to know I’m trying to get my 1939 Austin 8 back on the road after 35 years in storage. It has a TJ Richards body, made in Adelaide