Old Fast Frog Photos

Terry Walker

Tadpole
There used to be a time when there were fast (well, fastish) frogs at Bathurst, like these two in 1969. They both finished, but the thought of putting a Renault 10 down the Dipper flat out makes my skin creep. I loved my Ten, but at the limit it was, er, exciting.

I've never seen a pic of a Citroen racing, but I hear someone raced at Light 15 in WA. I know a WA team rallied a DS at one stage, but that's it.

Back in the 60s and 70s, motorsport was stuffed with Renaults & Peugeots and Simcas and my old photo files are full of them (esp rallying). Am I the only guy to rally an R4? 1967 Geraldton Sunshine Trial, I think it was. Came last.

I'd like to see more action pics of old-time fast frogs. Maybe this is the place?

Attachments

• 1969Bathurst2.jpg
    1969Bathurst2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 569
  • 1969Bathurst.jpg
    1969Bathurst.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 705
fast goddess

I see you are a goddess worshipper. Here's one for your library...Bill Brook, I think, 1969 Pathfinder Trial. The third party was probably a 'roo.

Attachments

• 1969Pathfinder1.jpg
    1969Pathfinder1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 404
Nice pics! Strange coincidence with the floral DS though, my first memory of a Citroen is of a pastel yellow DS with black roof with three large flowers on the bonnet (not a rally car), I was the helper who sat in the car out of the way whilst Dad helped rebuild the motor for a mate. It must have been a common thing to do on Citroens back in the late 60's early 70's.

It probably doesn't count, but I did a GP rally in an R4 on the basis that it couldn't finish any worse than the works R4's in the 1962 Monte Carlo where they also finished last. We finished midfield, but still behind an impeccably driven Honda Scamp 360......

Terry Walker said:
There used to be a time when there were fast (well, fastish) frogs at Bathurst, like these two in 1969. They both finished, but the thought of putting a Renault 10 down the Dipper flat out makes my skin creep. I loved my Ten, but at the limit it was, er, exciting.

I've never seen a pic of a Citroen racing, but I hear someone raced at Light 15 in WA. I know a WA team rallied a DS at one stage, but that's it.

Back in the 60s and 70s, motorsport was stuffed with Renaults & Peugeots and Simcas and my old photo files are full of them (esp rallying). Am I the only guy to rally an R4? 1967 Geraldton Sunshine Trial, I think it was. Came last.

I'd like to see more action pics of old-time fast frogs. Maybe this is the place?

John Scott used to race a Light 15 in the speedway for many years, the last time I saw him he still had it along with a collection of many DS's, Lancia Beta's & the odd FIAT's wallowing away on a property in Yornup. He raced the Lancia's & FIATs also. I have an old pic somewhere, I will track it down & post it when I find it. :cheers:

Zykyra, where'd you find that caricature of the DS? I notice a few members have similar pics for their avatars.

rally 4

I knew I had a photo somewhere. The 4, after the Geraldton Sunshine Trial 1968. Wish it still had the numbers etc on it. I can tell it's after, because of the angle of the front bumper. I left the road, went through a barbed wire fence, and finished up in a paddock full of rocks. When I got going again I'd lost most of the exhaust system, and the car had barbed wire claw marks up the windscreen pillars and across the roof. Amazing thing was, the fence was still standing. The Reno went between two strands of barbed wire, stretched them to blazes and loosened a few posts. I had to cut the wires to get out.

Attachments

• 4frog.jpg
    4frog.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 358
Terry Walker said:
I see you are a goddess worshipper. Here's one for your library...Bill Brook, I think, 1969 Pathfinder Trial. The third party was probably a 'roo.

Looking at the intact lights, wouldn't have been a "bonnet over the windscreen" trick that seemed a bit common in those days?
One of those things that if you ever had one do it, it took a while to get over it!! :eek: :eek:

Alan S

Alan S said:
Looking at the intact lights, wouldn't have been a "bonnet over the windscreen" trick that seemed a bit common in those days?
One of those things that if you ever had one do it, it took a while to get over it!! :eek: :eek:

Alan S

You're dead right, Alan. The guy on the right is admiring the damage to the plastic roof where the bonnet hit. I missed that obvious clue in the intact lights. I've never enjoyed a bonnet flyup myself, but I can imagine it would stop the heart.

On the speedway Light 15 that Zykyra mentions, I can't picture a Light 15 sedan in among the Humpies and EH Holdens, so it must have been a modified or speedcar.

Nothing wrong with a rallying scamp.

Simon's mention of the N360 Scamp reminded me that local trials hotshots Sharples and Mitchell ran an N600 in the one-0ff TVW7 2,000 mile Rally in about 1969 or 70. They finished, and not too badly either, I remember. Sponsored drive, too.

And in the second pic, the Dauphine, having been driven across the Nullabor in the mid-60s, was soon bouncing from rock to rock up the notorious Mundaring hillclimb. A nice intro to WA for a guy who currently sprints a Super 7 spinoff.

Attachments

• n600.jpg
    n600.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 628
  • drakes640.jpg
    drakes640.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 347
Hugo

Ray Bell said:
Terry, as you're watching this thread...

Do you think you could e.mail the Hugo Ragosini (sp) photo to me at raybell@racingphoenix.com ? This is the pic of him with the Maurice Chrysler, plug spanner in hand.

Sent - only 800 pixels across readily to hand. I'll try for a better one.

zykyra said:
John Scott used to race a Light 15 in the speedway for many years, the last time I saw him he still had it along with a collection of many DS's, Lancia Beta's & the odd FIAT's wallowing away on a property in Yornup. He raced the Lancia's & FIATs also. I have an old pic somewhere, I will track it down & post it when I find it. :cheers:

Yeah, thats right, I forgot about John. He also has a number of nice cars in
a collection housed at Boddington or somewhere down south, I've never
seen it though but it includes a nice Isabella coupe.
I have spent a few weekends at Johns with the FIAT car club and remember
well the fun times we had belting around the paddock over the road from
his house in Yornup and his very generous servings of Port around the
camp fire :D

Cheers,

Anyone remember Jack Weavers racing L15 in Vic in 1960s?

Terry Walker said:
There used to be a time when there were fast (well, fastish) frogs at Bathurst, like these two in 1969. They both finished, but the thought of putting a Renault 10 down the Dipper flat out makes my skin creep.

Hmmm - Bathust in '69, I think I made the pilgrimage up there in that year & the next.
I can't remember exactly who won; but was that the year the Bikies blew up the statue in the main square of the town????

Does anyone have pictures of Jack Weaver's (ex NZ) racing L15 (4 speed) in Vic in 1960s? He rolled it badly & I think there was an action picture of it turning over in the local newspapers.

I think he & the car are still around although he crashed badly at Geelong sprints in his monoposto Citoen single seater; & had to give racing up after hurting himself big time.

Another local racing legend was Peter Daman(sp?) in his Big 6 - would have been '50s I think.

Terry's pictures are from a 1969 Bathurst race, but not from the 1969 Bathurst race meeting... if you get the distinction...

The bikes only turned out for the Easter weekend, they basically were unknown in Bathurst in October.