OK...so what's the secret to finding spare parts?

For some years I collected names and contact phone numbers of those who displayed Fuego's at events. Haven't seen many displayed in recent years. There were a few that I myself would like to know where they are now, most were written up in past A/F posts, the one with no oil leaks around the motor (owners father had provided more crankcase ventilation with a waste oil recovery facility) A Frankston based one, had a form of supercharging fitted and the owner liked driving it and wiping the smile from Bogan challengers on the road, his other car was a Porsche, Then there was the one that was undergoing a full pricy restoration (including the fitting of a large sliding sunroof) by a Design person, (must follow up on that) so they are around, just like yours was I suppose. Mistarenno's Fuego's were always well presented and one was converted to LPG - ran beautifully. haven't seen Richard for a few years, hope he is well, probably dealing with a growing family and car restorations come second in priorities. Many still connected to the RCCV a good Renault car club to join.
When the paintwork on mine was in better condition, I would occasionally display it, and always got a nice crowd of admirers and questions about the car. Needs a nice clean up and repaint now.
Probably 20 around, maybe more. Money will bring them out.... Jo Proffi used to say they were worth mostly a box of beer or maybe two.
Maybe my kids will one day make a fortune...Not!:D

Ken
I used to do the same back in the 90s, speaking with every owner I came across. The attached Turbo was one of the last I sold for $9500 back in 1997. It actually sold before the ad in Unique Cars magazine was printed for that month, to the original owner who imported it from the UK when he moved to Melbourne. It will be a little while yet, I suspect, before prices get that high again for a Fuego. I remember picking up a couple of GTXs for a few hundred dollars each in the 90s, and they were running rust free cars.

I came across this retrospective piece on tradeuniquecars.com.au a few years ago.... I really miss that car.

9840EB69-2248-4CAD-BCE0-17B2A1B6E557.jpg

Your Turbo would be rare to find in Australia. As far as I know the Agents didn't import any - so just those that came in as private imports, did your turbo have imperial sized wheels fitted? Again as far as I know only the metric "low profile Michelin 200/65 HR 340 TRX" came in on our Fuego's but that could be challengeable. Richard "Mistarenno" imported some non metric wheels from New Zealand.

There are a couple of turbo's in Victoria, lost track of where they would be now. Bazzamac in Canberra had one but it was onsold victim of displacement by a newer A110 :cry: There were some turbo's in New Zealand., owners that I corresponded with.
Funny part was that the Renault Factory in Heidelberg West bought in quite a few Turbo bonnets as replacements when the normal bonnet was not available - Owners had a bad habit of backing off while doing a right hand corner at speed and that is not good - the trick is to accelerate harder and drive out of the corner. One of the most enjoyable aspects of Fuego driving.. as my daughters friends at that time would recall.;)
Still love driving my car, but as we (me and the car) age it becomes a bit harder to get in and out of the driver's seat...
PM me with a contact phone # I may have secondhand parts if you need them.

Ken

There were 4 Fuego Turbos in Brisbane, one was sold for near scrap price at auction a few years ago, one is still on the road, another I saw earlier this year that I supplied a radiator fan for that was close to Roadwothy. Don’t know about the fourth.

Barry’s Turbo would be nice, but I currently have 10 cars and 9 motorcycles, and am unable to house all those at home. Need to rationalise, but which ones to go. Would be nice just to have them all running at one time.

You’re absolutely right. All Fuego Turbos were privately imported. From memory, mine was 1 of only 4 in Australia at the time (Mid 1990s).

The Australian delivered cars all had metric rims. My turbo had the original 14 inch BBS. The Turbo replacement bonnets are in fact from the Turbo Diesel Model.

Your Turbo would be rare to find in Australia. As far as I know the Agents didn't import any - so just those that came in as private imports, did your turbo have imperial sized wheels fitted? Again as far as I know only the metric "low profile Michelin 200/65 HR 340 TRX" came in on our Fuego's but that could be challengeable. Richard "Mistarenno" imported some non metric wheels from New Zealand.

There are a couple of turbo's in Victoria, lost track of where they would be now. Bazzamac in Canberra had one but it was onsold victim of displacement by a newer A110 :cry: There were some turbo's in New Zealand., owners that I corresponded with.
Funny part was that the Renault Factory in Heidelberg West bought in quite a few Turbo bonnets as replacements when the normal bonnet was not available - Owners had a bad habit of backing off while doing a right hand corner at speed and that is not good - the trick is to accelerate harder and drive out of the corner. One of the most enjoyable aspects of Fuego driving.. as my daughters friends at that time would recall.;)
Still love driving my car, but as we (me and the car) age it becomes a bit harder to get in and out of the driver's seat...
PM me with a contact phone # I may have secondhand parts if you need them.

Ken

Hi Ken

Just a correction. I still have my Fuego Turbo and is in fact up for sale on just cars. I didn't need to sell to buy a new A110. Nothing was going to stop me buying my first ever brand new car since I bought a new R12GL way back in 1972.

Hi Ken

Just a correction. I still have my Fuego Turbo and is in fact up for sale on just cars. I didn't need to sell to buy a new A110. Nothing was going to stop me buying my first ever brand new car since I bought a new R12GL way back in 1972.
Barry
Sorry about that, know you will be happy with the New Car. Maybe one day I might get to buy A110.:D

and I know that whoever buys your Fuego, will get a loved and maintained vehicle.

Enjoy.

Ken