OK...so what's the secret to finding spare parts?

FuegoFan

Tadpole
As I've been out of the French car scene for over 20 years, I need some re-education on where to find new parts.

Fuego or R18 owners, where do you get your genuine or non genuine parts from?

As I've been out of the French car scene for over 20 years, I need some re-education on where to find new parts.

Fuego or R18 owners, where do you get your genuine or non genuine parts from?

Try here

Ask or wait for Jo Proffi to see your question. He might have some answers. My hunch is however he parted out a lot of Fuegos to keep his on the road. They were cheap as chips back then.

What do you need, anyway?

Thanks for the replies. Gumtree and EBay are copping a work out but not coming up with the goods.

The parts required for the Fuego:
LHF indicator lense (not sourced as yet though I have a lead)
LHF indicator bulb holder
LHF indicator lense retaining spring
New clutch cable
New Engine oil filler cap
New Pedal rubbers (now sourced from French Connection)
New Radiator hoses
New Air Filter

I have bought some Fuego parts recently from French Car Care in Brisbane. I also looked through a lot of parts that was bought in a job lot that has not been fully sorted. I got wheel cylinders, brake linings, front wheel bearings, NOS headlight, various hoses, thermostat, carby kit, tie rod end, some suspension bushes, gearshift bushes, engine mounts, water pump, some gaskets and a pair of tail lights plus other parts.

Looking at your list. I bought clutch cable and air filter from Ebay in Australia.
The main radiator hoses are easily bought on Ebay from Sparesbox around $30 each.

Last edited:
I have bought some Fuego parts recently from French Car Care in Brisbane. I also looked through a lot of parts that was bought in a job lot that has not been fully sorted. I got wheel cylinders, brake linings, front wheel bearings, NOS headlight, various hoses, thermostat, carby kit, tie rod end, some suspension bushes, gearshift bushes, engine mounts, water pump, some gaskets and a pair of tail lights plus other parts.
Fantastic! Thanks for the advice.

Ask or wait for Jo Proffi to see your question. He might have some answers. My hunch is however he parted out a lot of Fuegos to keep his on the road. They were cheap as chips back then.

What do you need, anyway?
Regrettably for our OP, I have not a single fuego part left, and have not had anything to do with them for about 5 years.
Jo

Thanks for the replies. Gumtree and EBay are copping a work out but not coming up with the goods.

The parts required for the Fuego:
LHF indicator lense (not sourced as yet though I have a lead)
LHF indicator bulb holder
LHF indicator lense retaining spring
New clutch cable
New Engine oil filler cap
New Pedal rubbers (now sourced from French Connection)
New Radiator hoses
New Air Filter

Don't just use the Aussie Ebay site, look at Ebay France https://www.ebay.fr/ & Ebay UK https://www.ebay.co.uk/

I thought you had already tried French ebay. Portugal and Spain also have a lot of Renault stuff.

I would also try to look in South America, they have a solid Fuego scene. Mercado Brasil is a start. Argentina is a strong market as well.

I wouldn't bother with hoses and such. There are so many cars it is nigh on impossible not to find something that is a straight fit from some Holden or Jap or whatever. Just take some hoses with you when you visit the usual suspects and rummage through the store's unsold stock.

Lenses and lights are items you need to look for overseas. Just remember to ask what side they drive on if you want headlights. I would hoard RHD headlights even if I didn't need them if I were you. They will disappear at some point.

I thought you had already tried French ebay. Portugal and Spain also have a lot of Renault stuff.

I would also try to look in South America, they have a solid Fuego scene. Mercado Brasil is a start. Argentina is a strong market as well.

I wouldn't bother with hoses and such. There are so many cars it is nigh on impossible not to find something that is a straight fit from some Holden or Jap or whatever. Just take some hoses with you when you visit the usual suspects and rummage through the store's unsold stock.

Lenses and lights are items you need to look for overseas. Just remember to ask what side they drive on if you want headlights. I would hoard RHD headlights even if I didn't need them if I were you. They will disappear at some point.
Thanks! I have tried UK EBay but not the other OS sites. Will do now though.

What happened to Ken fuego he had a lot of cars?
I still have one fully registered Fuego and I support another in Tasmania, bought most of my spare parts brand new where I could find them, plus back up parts, I now have some put aside in a box marked with reminder not to sell or part with them (as I have done willingly in the past, so many times) Most new parts came from Ken Bailey when he was operating, and I usually buy more when they come up on A/F and otherwise. Haakon used to scour the Pick-a-Parts and onsold quite a few secondhand parts (most of these have been given away to other Fuego owners) There are still parts around, but I am no longer active in scouring the most likely places, Ebay UK used to be a good source of new and secondhand as was JoProffi, I would have loved to have gone up to NSW and rescued some of the parts that he had to send to the scrappies and the dump, a crying shame...but then I was under wife threat if I bought any more parts.... :eek:

Cavanagh's still come across Fuego bits, they will sell for the right money.

Most don't want to pay the price that I did for hard to get parts, and I'd rather keep rarer parts I kept to back up our cars than sell them under the price I paid for them. I understand that places in France still have the fast moving parts, and often with the Renault parts bin mentality some parts are the same (identical) and fit other later Renaults. And SASIC are still making some parts.

I used to spend a lot of time trying to cross reference these parts, or source things like petrol pumps from local manufacturers - but most of those have gone to the wall in the last few years, but if you can get into the shelves of older suppliers or find NOS at markets, there is still quite a bit around. Simon (F)is a true mine of information on parts and numbers.

So yes there are some parts and cars around and I am sure that scads of money offered might prise them out of the country owners. And many also bought up spares and manuals etc.
Like anything else the hard part is looking through the garage and finding bits you didn't remember buying...

Ken

Thanks Ken. Nothing beats hands-on experience over many years! Glad to hear that you still have a Fuego on the road. I wonder how many are left...?

My guess is probably less than 20 in Roadwothy shape in Australia. I know of 3 in Brisbane, but expect there could be a couple more.

Thanks Ken. Nothing beats hands-on experience over many years! Glad to hear that you still have a Fuego on the road. I wonder how many are left...?
For some years I collected names and contact phone numbers of those who displayed Fuego's at events. Haven't seen many displayed in recent years. There were a few that I myself would like to know where they are now, most were written up in past A/F posts, the one with no oil leaks around the motor (owners father had provided more crankcase ventilation with a waste oil recovery facility) A Frankston based one, had a form of supercharging fitted and the owner liked driving it and wiping the smile from Bogan challengers on the road, his other car was a Porsche, Then there was the one that was undergoing a full pricy restoration (including the fitting of a large sliding sunroof) by a Design person, (must follow up on that) so they are around, just like yours was I suppose. Mistarenno's Fuego's were always well presented and one was converted to LPG - ran beautifully. haven't seen Richard for a few years, hope he is well, probably dealing with a growing family and car restorations come second in priorities. Many still connected to the RCCV a good Renault car club to join.
When the paintwork on mine was in better condition, I would occasionally display it, and always got a nice crowd of admirers and questions about the car. Needs a nice clean up and repaint now.
Probably 20 around, maybe more. Money will bring them out.... Jo Proffi used to say they were worth mostly a box of beer or maybe two.
Maybe my kids will one day make a fortune...Not!:D

Ken