Oil pan 407

gabrielle

Tadpole
Hi Peugeot friends,
Can someone tell me if there are any hidden bolts on the sump of a 2004, 407, 2.2 ltr 4 cylinder petrol engine with a 6 speed manual gearbox please.
I have undone 30 bolts (including the bolt for the airconditioner compressor) but it won't shift. I want to make sure all the bolts are removed before I attempt to prise it off using a cold chisel.

Check to see if any attach to the bell housing.

Count holes on gasket to match number of bolts to remove
Check out Sump removal
Many sumps have a stronger prise point, not sure on 407
Cold chisel could crack block or sump :(
Wooden bump block around sump works for me

Driven, there’s a good chance there is no gasket. Many of theses engines use an anaerobic sealant instead.

As said above. PSA uses an extremely strong glue-sealant on the steel sumps. You will need to cut it out. Be careful not to deform the thin sump. I am not sure about cast aluminium sumps, but they may use it too.

As far as I’m aware, all Aust delivered 407’s were fitted with air con therefore had alloy cast sumps and used sealant rather than a gasket. If your car has a ‘winged’ sump there will be bolts attaching it to the bell housing.

Thank you everyone for getting back to me. I can't see anymore bolts. I think the glue is stuck fast. Not confident in prising or bashing it off. I've decided to use a product by JB Weld, called Original Cold-Weld. Some people have had success using this product. If that doesn't work, Ill get the professionals in and if that's too expensive Pierre is off to my local grave yard. Thanks again for everyones helpful suggedtions.

seems as though you have a cracked alloy sump ,i have used liquid metal to repair a sump on an Audi Quatro my son had, i drained the sump ground the crack out cleaned with degreaser then thinners ,mixed the A and B together pushed it into the crack ,let dry over night ,it held well till he sold it ,the previous owner had ground the fins off the sump by running it up hid driveway ,unbelievable