obscenely poor taste...

qvik

Fellow Frogger
..but did anyone notice that car used in the car bomb attack in baghdad today was a peugeot?

Yeah, a white 306 series 2.

I'm used to spotting Pugs in horrific pictures. Comes from night after night of seeing 504s blown up in the middle east.

In a recent isssue of National Geographic Magazine, there was an article on slavery around the world. There was one photo of a young boy working as a slave for a panel beater in Africa. The car he was oxy welding (without goggles) was missing the front panels and all you could see was the front crossmember, part of the empty engine bay and the panel behind the grille and headlights. Anyway I've stripped so many 504s that I instantly recognised the car as a 504 even before I realised the profound saddness of the complete picture.

Dave

<small>[ 13 October 2003, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>

Originally posted by davemcbean
<strong>.....I'm used to spotting Pugs in horrific pictures. Comes from night after night of seeing 504s blown up in the middle east.

In a recent isssue of National Geographic Magazine, there was an article on slavery around the world. There was one photo of a young boy working as a slave for a panel beater in Africa. The car he was oxy welding (without goggles) was missing the front panels and all you could see was the front crossmember, part of the empty engine bay and the panel behind the grille and headlights. Anyway I've stripped so many 504s that I instantly recognised the car as a 504 even before I realised the profound saddness of the complete picture.
It gets worse...

Did you see the episode of Blue Heelers where they found a 'Torana' that had been stolen in a barn?

And the shots they showed in the barn were clearly a 504?

episode of Blue Heelers where they found a 'Torana' that had been stolen in a barn?

Yeah - those film makers are not to bright. About 5 years ago I was asked by a film crew to find 2 604s for a telemovie where the heroine, a lawyer chick, gets run off a cliff by a Kenworth. As they were preparing the stunt car I warned them that Pugs were built tough so be prepared for it - but they kinda ignored me until they tried to get the engine out & it took them ages.
So then they over-reacted & decided to throw the 604 body off a real cliff - about 200 feet!!! It made a great shot barrel rolling through the air until it landed on its roof and was squashed FLAT. I had hoped to get some bits from the wreck but everything was totaly stuffed!

604 tragic:

Yeah - those film makers are not to bright. About 5 years ago I was asked by a film crew to find 2 604s for a telemovie where the heroine, a lawyer chick, gets run off a cliff by a Kenworth. !
Yeah I remember seeing that. Those bastards! How many good cars have film makers wrecked. Atleast they used a fake Lamborgini for the opening scene of the original Italian Job.

Dave

No, that wasn't a fake...

<a href="http://forums.atlasf1.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1443913" target="_blank">http://forums.atlasf1.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1443913</a>

Interesting read in that thread...

I remember seeing that episode too. ...what was it called? FEDS? State police? Something like that. Felt very sad seeing the 604 going off the cliff - also wondered if the rims it had were 15x6 or 390's.

Thats a really interesting forum ray!!I dont think i'd join cause i wouldnt have anything to contribute, but it makes for some very interesting reading! dance cheers!

Liam Wishart:
I remember seeing that episode too. ...what was it called? FEDS? State police? Something like that. Felt very sad seeing the 604 going off the cliff - also wondered if the rims it had were 15x6 or 390's.
FEDS

Ray Bell:
No, that wasn't a fake...

My point wasn't that it was a fake but rather that they didn't destroy a good car.

The following posts on that forum confirm my belief:

"Freeze-framing the action reveals that the Lamborghini Miura is an accident-damaged rolling shell. There's distortion all down the right side and when it goes over the cliff there is clearly not a shred of usable mechanical componentry inside it."

and:

"There was a doc on the TV here a couple of weeks back, about the making of the (original) film, with a lot of interview clips with some of the people involved. Their account of the Muira was that the rolling shell was supplied by Lamborghini (if pre-damaged, the presumably one they's had back for a possible re-build?)."

Yeah I remember seeing that. Those bastards! How many good cars have film makers wrecked

In Feds they used two 604s - I got them a really really good one (for interior shots) from an super fastidious owner and a rough one (this rocket was gutted and used for the actual stunt) I found this old one in a Volvo wreckers yard waiting to donate its v6 to a 264!

These guys had done all the car stunts for the 1st Mad Max movie so they were totally up themselves. I think the Kenworth may have been ex MM too. Money was no object and I was hoping to get the good 604 when they finished filming (as this was sort of implied in the deal).

But the boss man 'lent' it to one of the girls on set - a blonde babe, and she quickly crunched it. I was super pissed off but I guess its impossible to compete with pussy power.

However I did end up with a bit of cash and a lot of good stuff!