NSW RRC 6 Hour, Sydney, 12-13 March

Oh some random shots of some of the things you end up racing on the track with. These events are fun!

IMG_0548.jpg
IMG_0549.jpg
IMG_0550.jpg
IMG_0551.jpg
IMG_0553.jpg
IMG_0555.jpg
IMG_0557.jpg
IMG_0558.jpg
IMG_0559.jpg
IMG_0563.jpg

I did, but I mounted it a little low, on the bumper and the footage isn’t the greatest , just going over what I did remember to hit record on.

Reactions: COL
It was really good fun :)

Just to remind you all how it works, you enter with a team of a minimum of 3x cars and 3x drivers, out to a maximum of 6x cars and 6x drivers. You can share cars too, max of 2 x drivers per car (just gets too difficult for timing otherwise)

The more drivers you have, the cheaper it gets. Entry was $2640 per team this year.

They control it by giving you penalties if you go faster then 1m50s, or slower then 2m23s, so, despite such a range of cars on the event day it's not to bad. The practise is always a bit loose as dudes and galls spend the time showing off with faster times before the event proper, but thats ok.

Drivers can only be on track for a max of 20laps before a forced 15m break, and your team needs to have a car on the track at all times. Really quite straight forward and a good giggle!

Once I get the 12 sorted you just know I'm going to be annoying and try to get you all involved! I reckon a team consisting of a 4,6,8,10,12,16,18/Fug, 21, etc, would be freeking adorable. And any combination of that would look so cute on an entry list! :D

Heck if we can find another couple of 12's we'll just do it ourselves. And yes your 12 will meet the min time cut off*

Remember cars need not be logged booked or registered. Providing you install the seats and seatbelts as per factory (or as per Cams Sched A/B) and the rest of the vehicle is not a pile of junk you are set. No fancy driving suits required, long sleeves, jeans, helmet, bolt an entinguisher in and you are ready.

It will be around March / April next year.... Start planning a Holiday. We can all share wheel nuts HAHA!

*I was doing 2m30s in the Reno before I cut everything out of it, on those Nankang street tyres, original suspension, with the old non vented brakes, full interior etc etc. And that was before I knew how to drive. Once I cut everything out and got some good tyres, I was doing 2m15's still not really knowing how to drive. So you will be fine :) Heck there was a couple of P76's there, Put some good tyres and good pads in your stock 12 (assuming most of you have 17 sway bars in them now anyway, and you'd be fine.

Last edited:
And we weren't trying overly hard too. We had someone standing on the roof measuring times when we passed the amaroo pit garage, thus gave as a reference from half the track back, if that makes sense? Other teams where monitoring the live times from Natsoft and giving the drivers times from their last lap, and others were just having fun and not really worrying about the timing.

Weeeeeeeeel these mates I teamed with have gone and talked me into competing with them again at the 6hr @ Philip Island at the end of July. Same sort of setup to this event, team of 6, sharing the track. The bloody commodore did so well I've rewarded it with a set of RE003's. Should give me less 60's cop show tyre squeal, I suppose we'll see. More importantly, finally a chance here to drive around Philip Island.

Woo Hoo! :party:

Also annoyingly for this event, Lap-sash seatbelts are not acceptable, I'm gong to have to bolt in a 4 point harness. Didn't really want to pull the rear interior out, but I think it's going to make sense to make a taxi / harness bar between the rear wheel arches for the belt to attach to. The OG rear seat belt points are going to be out of the acceptable angle (45 degree from head and 20 degree off centre) so bugger, out comes the interior. It means a little more faffing when I get to the track but it won't be too bad, will make it questionable to drive back to the hotel each evening however.. Anyway I'll pull it all out and have a look.

In the meantime, last weekend a few from the local Reno Club were headed to the Rob Roy Hill climb as part of the Interclub Challenge. It was my first time here and I was keen to drive after spectating a few times. And secretly, I wanted to be faster then their Turbo Megane's :p Wasn't to be. I did beat a Clio so there is that at least :p

So what's the hill climb? well it's 20-30se up this hill;

Surprisingly tricky to nail, the off camber corners bluff you in to backing off so you don't bin it. Never managed a run keeping it flat around turn 2 as the day was cut short from an Open Wheeler headbutting a fence (he was ok).

Alpine A110 = 25.75 (Class Winner) :D
Megane Sport 265 = 26.23
Megane Sport 225 = 26.82
Megane with Diesel = 27.09
VY Bomodore = 28.67
Clio 3 = 28.68
Reno 4 = 45.26 (Class Winner) :D

Other results here; https://robroyhillclimb.com.au/results/2022-cc2-prov-v2.pdf

Looking forward to another go, Reckon I'll get closer to those Pesky Megane's if I keep the darn thing flat.

If you haven't had a drive up there and you're local to Vic, worth a go, was good fun.

October 2nd scheduled for the next one. Come play.

Geez, looking at that return road you need a pit stop to fit off road tyres before returning to the pits. Then a big vacuum, blow all the dirt, rocks and dust out of the engine, brakes and suspension then possibly a wheel alignment.

Phillip Island will be a great experience.

Yeah It’s pretty traditional, the formation track is just the same. There were a handful of folks running slicks, they indeed were scrubbing everything when they got back to their mat. The only sealed section of the place was the track proper.

They do permit a “tyre cleaning exercise” at the start of the run but you can’t use the break or turn the wheels. Boo.

The club (mg car club) just scored a huge grant and they are making renovations. Believe everything will end up sealed whilst the paddock remains. There was talk about adding a chicane after turn 2, this would greatly reduce the terminal speed at the end of the run, and probably for the best.

But yeah historically important hill climb in the scheme of things. I would be keen to have it all dirt and convert the return road into the 3rd and 4th timed sector :p

Very excited for Philip Island. Last time there was for the MotoGP, drunk with my brother walking around the place with sun burn, good times. Best go find some in car footage and work out which way the track goes.

I wouldn't call that goat track return road traditional. Back in the late 1960's the ARDC had a sealed return road at the famous Amaroo Hill climb where Colin Bond learnt how to put it all together in a short fast hill climb. In a frog based car, Supercharged Lynx-Peugeot.

No government grant, back then it was just a car club with some very keen enthusiast members.

No dirt track return road for the Lynx open wheeler or other similar specials back then. Maybe MG's were more agricultural and that dirt return road was OK when they started Rob Roy.

Last edited:
Phillip Island 6 hr will suit the commodore more than it would have suited the R12. Easier on brakes than SMSP but harder on tyres. Keep an eye on your Right front and try not to lean on it too hard.

Yeah a little excited If I confess. After seeing Bikes power slide out of, well most of the corners it gives the impression of a fun track.

Looking forward to the off camber left up the back before the dip and sharp right, Might pay attention to where the walls are should I get it wrong..

It looks rather flowing actually, (found a chap at a SuperSprint with in car footage) I had imagined more hard braking areas, exciting!

Might even take the tow bar off, no promises.

We’ll I had some time to play make a harness bar inline with the upcoming event requirements.

They prohibit 3 point harnesses even with road registered cars so I need to do something. I could nearly just use the rear set belt points, but it’s a little off centre and it may be just outside the 45degree, confess I haven’t measured it with the race seat but gut says it’s no good.

Anyway, why not practise bracket making.

0D317319-5AA2-4C0D-A89C-A4FA5F389DE7.jpeg
2465D175-0D15-462A-82E7-B8864FB627C6.jpeg
4EC0E576-C48D-4FE8-8498-2C4DB1CCDF71.jpeg

Here we have some 40mm square tube, 2mm thick, with 5mm thick plates (50 x 100mm) welded on each end along with two triangle brackets, 60 x 40mm, which will be the anchor points for the harness.

I had to buy a new harness, and I stuffed up getting one with shorter then expected rear stays and no quick release. So the triangle extensions should give me the reach, along with adequate space to mount another captive nut and 3mm thick washer underneath. I’m not sure I like this, I may remove it all and attach a longer triangle section but I’ll see after I test fit it.

I’m going to drill 2x holes each side on the inner sides of the wheel arches to accomodate this. I originally thought about re using the rear belt holes on the sides, but it was going to be to far back for my short harness and I can’t easily drill an additional support in that panel, I’d have to make a right angle section and sit it on the wheel arch, attaching it there. This seemed like a simple compromise.

I bought some carpet trim to nearly match the bombadore, I’ll cover the parcel shelf and everything exposed to make it “noice” whilst the bar is installed. Ah once I started removing the rear trim I couldn’t help myself and took it all out. Belts, seats, parcel shelf, these new cars are complicated with all these nice bits and pieces.

Next weekend is the test fit with the racing seat, see how it all feels then.