nostalgia, for want of a better topic

Steven King

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
because i find navaids of the continental south-east rather interesting, and this an exemplary piece of journalism and graphic design ..
THE LIGHTING OF BASS'S STRAITS The Herald Fri 19 Sep 1913
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/page/26287496
Untitled 3.png
if this kind of thing does interest anyone else i propose to share scraps on various victorian public works projects, and would hope to see other contributors ...
... Untitled 3.png

Last edited:
because i find navaids of the continental south-east rather interesting, and this an exemplary piece of journalism and graphic design ..
THE LIGHTING OF BASS'S STRAITS The Herald Fri 19 Sep 1913
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/page/26287496
View attachment 133919if this kind of thing does interest anyone else i propose to share scraps on various victorian public works projects, and would hope to see other contributors ...
... View attachment 133919
This reminds me of the time when extra markers and lights were being installed in the route through the reef to the port of Dalrymple Bay. That route is called Hydrographer's Passage.
The question was - 'What do you get if you use Hydrographer's Passage?'
The answer - 'Navigational Aids'~!!

I do find the system of flashing intervals to identify lighthouse locations as very interesting.
Am I correct in thinking the lights on this chart are represented by 1 minute circles, ie, Wilson's Prom 4 flashes 8 times per minute?
It is such a logical system of navigation that every lighthouse has a unique sequence.

correct and range is also indicated; Deal at nearly a thousand ft elevation so often obscured by cloud still got wrecks though ...

It's interesting that way the light patterns patterns are shown in 1913 differs from current information, where now the lights are described by their timed intervals in seconds together with their range.

So the signals have changed? i had wondered but hadn't got around to finding out ... and of course the beam is not 360degrees but occluded from certain sectors in some instances at least - i.e not over the mainland / neighbouring habitation or where it may confuse ...

Last edited:
So the signals have changed? i had wondered but hadn't got around to finding out ... and of course the beam is not 360degrees but occluded from certain sectors in some instances at least - i.e not over the mainland & neighbouring townships or where it may confuse ...

Here is a section of a digital chart showing Port Phillip Heads and immediately inside port Phillip. The sectors and colours are shown for the major lights but not the intervals. (Which detail layer may have been turned off.) Not confusing at all, is it?

http://snapperfishingtackle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/port-phillip-bay-heads-depth-chart-1.png

In my sailing and hiking days in Bass Straight visited all the lights except cliffy island. Deal island is imho most challenging to sail too, the walk is ok, but the history and newspaper sheets on the internal lighthouse walls are most interesting.

Deal originally had two building clusters on its 4 sq. miles, both of which with a horse-drawn railway up to them. By the mid sixties all but the tower itself had been superseded by fibre shacks and a Land Rover. The CLS would have got rid of everything else if it could, but hopefully the big convict-built Georgian house survived ...

Attachments

• 377820-medium.jpg
    377820-medium.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 377824-medium.jpg
    377824-medium.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 377826-medium.jpg
    377826-medium.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 95
  • 377828-medium.jpg
    377828-medium.jpg