noise and hammering vibration

T petrica

Tadpole
I have a 2011 C5 x7 2.2 diesel first I detect a lot of noise vibration, I check where the carrosserie vibration sensor is and the sensor rattling and hammering like a hell.
I visit several garages inclusive of 2 recommended Citroën. But the hammering vibration is still on.

Check and change
  • alternator pulley and freewheel. (Belt and pulley 1 year old) No problem
  • plastic engine cover and other parts everything ok, No problem
  • Suspension front and back ( Front Right and buck left change 4 months ago ) No problem
  • 0601 01 3480 60A FIXING POWER UNIT for Mounting engine system
  • I have to check carefully the upright engine mount Anti-Torque Link engine mounting bracket/change with a new one ( looks good.)
  • All parts change
Also, check if the engine cover is loose or other parts .. all looks good. The workshop has assured me the vibration came from the engine and the replacement of all parts with factory originals components .. the vibration is still on ..even worse ..

Could somebody advise me on the next step, please?

KR
Petrica

It may have an active damping unit that has failed and now makes a rapid hammering noise. It lives above the middle of the front anti-roll bar. You could try disconnecting it's electrical connector.

Hello David,
This active damping unit is connected to any parts or any component in particular, if I disconnect the unit may afect any other components?
#I will do try to disconnect the electrical connector. I will see if the rapid hammering noise goes off.
do you have any idea how much it cost one of these active damping unit?

Thank you for your advice .
KR
Petrica

Welcome to our French car community, we are here to help, if we can.

David S is one of our experts in the C5.

I replaced my active damper on my 2012 2.2L diesel Pug 508, so probably same deal.

I bought the part online from overseas and landed it for around $450 I think.
Another couple hundred for someone to fit it, which in total was still a few hundred dollars less than local dealer wanted for just the damper! (assuming were talking same engine mount damper).
if you want to go down this road let me know and I’ll try and find the details (was a few years ago)
cheers
Glenn

Last edited:
I have a 2011 C5 x7 2.2 diesel first I detect a lot of noise vibration, I check where the carrosserie vibration sensor is and the sensor rattling and hammering like a hell.
I visit several garages inclusive of 2 recommended Citroën. But the hammering vibration is still on.

Check and change
  • alternator pulley and freewheel. (Belt and pulley 1 year old) No problem
  • plastic engine cover and other parts everything ok, No problem
  • Suspension front and back ( Front Right and buck left change 4 months ago ) No problem
  • 0601 01 3480 60A FIXING POWER UNIT for Mounting engine system
  • I have to check carefully the upright engine mount Anti-Torque Link engine mounting bracket/change with a new one ( looks good.)
  • All parts change
Also, check if the engine cover is loose or other parts .. all looks good. The workshop has assured me the vibration came from the engine and the replacement of all parts with factory originals components .. the vibration is still on ..even worse ..

Could somebody advise me on the next step, please?

KR
Petrica
Hi T, if the vibration goes away when u increase the idling of the engine u will find the problem is from the Damping attenuator. So before u do anything or spend any money you can confirm this fault by disconnecting the power to this part. You should be able to locate the cable/plug on the right passenger side wheel, under the car. Once power is removed the vibration should stop. If it stops than the Damper Attenuator is either stuck or not working at all. This can be removed and the mechanical part can be cleaned, greased and fixed. But if the solenoid is burned out (highly unlikely) then u will need to replace the Damper. Its a fiddly job, but doable by a person that has done one before without removing major parts to access the damper.

Attachments

• ActuatorPartC5.jpg
    ActuatorPartC5.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 141
  • CitroenDamper Actuator.jpg
    CitroenDamper Actuator.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Active Damper C5X7.jpg
    Active Damper C5X7.jpg
    668.6 KB · Views: 130
  • Active_damper_control_system_based_on_LMFC.pdf
    526 KB · Views: 106
Hi! I had the same issue and the competent (NOT) mechanic made me change all three mounts but in vain(they could have gone for another 50K). I had stumbled upon a similar thread online and specifically asked the mechanic if this could be the case but he dismissed it. Now I feel this is the actual issue. Thinking of ordering the part ~580$. Do you know of any better mechanics in Brisbane Australia.

Did you take it to Euroserve at Newstead?

Ken

Did you take it to Euroserve at Newstead?

Ken
Haven't tried them, but disconnected the connector and the hammering has reduced significantly, I would so upto 70%. The replacement unit can be sourced from EAI for about ~600$ minus the postage. I'll try EuroServe for a quote thanks.

Also I was facing some intermittent lack of power, possibly due to Turbo and also notice some oil leakage on one of the hoses down there. Wonder what that is.

It probably means your turbo has blown a seal which means it doesn't have adequate lubrication and it is on its way out unless you get in and rectify the problem(s) whatever they are. You might save it that way but you might not. How long have you driven with it like that?

PS. The original poster is in Switzerland, I don't think our prices here are relevant to him.