No More F1 For Moi

boleropilot

Fellow Frogger
Honestly, I've had a gutful of F1. Number 1 annoyance is that moron 'commentator' who screams his head off for the first couple of laps and then settles down a bit, until two or three cars get close to each other and he starts up again, as if an overtaking maneuver is spectacularly exciting. it isn't.

I've started recording the MotoGP races, they are brilliant - Moto3 are 125cc and they are all so closely matched the racing is spectacular to say the least. Moto2 are 250cc and they are a big step up to the scariest racing machines on the planet, the GP bikes (500cc). Last race at Doha they were doing 340km/hour down the main straight - that's faster than the F1 cars!!! They get to 100km/hour is just over 2 seconds...

There is an Aussie in GP2 and GP and they are up there with the fast boys in both classes. The close-up and slow-mo shots of these bikes are just fantastic, you see bikes power sliding out of very fast corners, the back wheel coming off the ground under hard braking, front wheel lifting off the ground as they accelerate out of corners, just amazing stuff.

And I know we are all about 4 wheels here, not two, but honestly, if you like your racing spectacular, the bikes are the way to go.

BP

Agree with you. Motorbike racing has always been more exciting to watch. So many more passing opertunities and just the sheer terror and insanity of what they physically doing makes the entire thing Gnarly! :D

Yeah true all. The F1 drivers are pretty much invisible to the viewer with the Halo etc. and it's hard to see that there is a human at the helm. Moto on the other hand allows the viewer to see the emotion of the riders as they compete and give each other 'da burd' or push 'n' shove each other across the circuit. And who could forget the fisty cuffs that Rossi gets into on occasions, I refer to the incident where he kicked another rider off his bike mid corner because he was going too hard.

When an F1 driver crashes you can be fairly sure he will walk away from said crash, I refer to Grosjean's recent crash at Bahrain ( which is about the only exitment from F1 these days). But when a bike rider goes down we just hold our breath and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Honestly, I've had a gutful of F1. Number 1 annoyance is that moron 'commentator' who screams his head off for the first couple of laps and then settles down a bit, until two or three cars get close to each other and he starts up again, as if an overtaking maneuver is spectacularly exciting. it isn't.

I've started recording the MotoGP races, they are brilliant - Moto3 are 125cc and they are all so closely matched the racing is spectacular to say the least. Moto2 are 250cc and they are a big step up to the scariest racing machines on the planet, the GP bikes (500cc). Last race at Doha they were doing 340km/hour down the main straight - that's faster than the F1 cars!!! They get to 100km/hour is just over 2 seconds...

There is an Aussie in GP2 and GP and they are up there with the fast boys in both classes. The close-up and slow-mo shots of these bikes are just fantastic, you see bikes power sliding out of very fast corners, the back wheel coming off the ground under hard braking, front wheel lifting off the ground as they accelerate out of corners, just amazing stuff.

And I know we are all about 4 wheels here, not two, but honestly, if you like your racing spectacular, the bikes are the way to go.

BP
Here is rough run down on the MotoGp rules

https://www.competition.total.com/en/moto/motogp/motogp-rules

I take it all back, I've watched the Grosjean crash about 30 times from different commentators and it effects me each time. How the hell did he survive that..?

Yeah true all. The F1 drivers are pretty much invisible to the viewer with the Halo etc. and it's hard to see that there is a human at the helm. Moto on the other hand allows the viewer to see the emotion of the riders as they compete and give each other 'da burd' or push 'n' shove each other across the circuit. And who could forget the fisty cuffs that Rossi gets into on occasions, I refer to the incident where he kicked another rider off his bike mid corner because he was going too hard.

When an F1 driver crashes you can be fairly sure he will walk away from said crash, I refer to Grojean's recent crash at Bahrain ( which is about the only exitment from F1 these days). But when a bike rider goes down we just hold our breath and hope for the best.
I have been watching 500cc/MotoGp show for the last 33 years, most of the time the racing is exciting and action packed. There was a few years where it got boring there in the middle somewhere. Last season was one of the best for action and I think this season is starting to show that it will be as good.

yeah I know about the biffing - Miller (Aussie) had a little disagreement with Mir (current world champion) about the same piece of tarmac in their last race - was only at around 200km/hour so no biggy...

Moto2 racing has to be the closest and exciting racing going around. Moto3 and MotoGP are a very close second. Sadly, international rallying on TV is also extremely poor, in my humble opinion.

Isle of Man TT sidecars are some truly crazy riders and friends. But yeah, watching racing these days is a bit..... Thank god for 2 wheels!

I take it all back, I've watched the Grosjean crash about 30 times from different commentators and it effects me each time. How the hell did he survive that..?
He's a lucky fella, when it got to over a minute with no signs of anything i thought he was done for.
Have you seen the coverage of it on the netflix series Drive 2 survive?? Chilling

BP
BP a little bit behind the times unfortunately.
Moto3 250cc
Moto2 765cc
MotoGP 1000cc

It has come up in the world lately.

Ray

Isle of Man TT sidecars are some truly crazy riders and friends. But yeah, watching racing these days is a bit..... Thank god for 2 wheels!
Without even coming off, the swingers can do some serious damage to themselves. The kerbs have a tendency of jumping out and catching even seasoned passengers.

Number 1 son, swinging his way to The Australian F1 Championship in 2017. Entering the first corner at Phillip Island. Very proud dad!

swiging 2.jpg
lok3A.jpg

Not a sport for the faint hearted.

BP a little bit behind the times unfortunately.
Moto3 250cc
Moto2 765cc
MotoGP 1000cc

It has come up in the world lately.

Ray
Hey, I'm very old - one of my favourite motor sport possessions was a vinyl record with recordings of '60s racing motorcycles going back down through the gears then back up as they accelerated out of a hairpin - some of those machines were six cylinder 250cc, I use to pee everybody off by playing it at full volume. so I do apologise for my ancient views, I stand corrected !

Agree about the bikes being far more interesting and exciting than F1. I don't watch religiously but certainly watch if I come across it while doing the TV remote scroll, that us blokes annoy our better halves with.
I recall the days when it used to be on SBS, presented by Barry Sheene and Les Murray; both now sadly departed.
I was particularly taken when, during the pre race trawl around the track, Barry casually remarked, "That's the corner where I lost my finger".

Agree about the bikes being far more interesting and exciting than F1. I don't watch religiously but certainly watch if I come across it while doing the TV remote scroll, that us blokes annoy our better halves with.
I recall the days when it used to be on SBS, presented by Barry Sheene and Les Murray; both now sadly departed.
I was particularly taken when, during the pre race trawl around the track, Barry casually remarked, "That's the corner where I lost my finger".
yeah Bazza was a class act, turning up at race meetings in a Rolls Royce with the lovely Stephanie hanging off his arm - he had a horror crash on the Daytona banking at around 200mph or so, made a real mess of him. his attitude to broken bones was "ah it's just a mechanical thing, like breaking a chain - you just fix it and get back on the track" - broke my heart when a man who has faced so much danger is knocked over by a damn heart attack.

I have a copy of the book A Will to Win by Michael Scott, am happy to post that to anyone if ya include the postage when ya send it back to me. PM me if you'd like to read it.

BP

Year those fingers are always at risk between the handlebar and the bitumen not far away when they corner. You can find more examples at Google Images by typing "motogp rider missing finger" or "motocycle racer missing finger", they don't make hand models