nightmare continues

Hi bishka.

Just to confirm my understanding about your situation.
  1. The existing engine stopped working, dont know why, it was removed including the turbocharger.
  2. A second hand replacement engine Including turbocharger was sourced and fitted.
  3. Are you now saying that the turbo in the secondhand engine is faulty? If so, I can't understand how this could occur?
motor replaced had no turbo... :)

General rules of mechanical repairs:
If you diagnose a problem and ask for a certain part to be changed it isn’t the mechanics responsibly when it doesn’t work.

If you supply parts new or second hand any lack of proper functionality due to these parts isn’t the mechanics responsibility.

If you want parts like injectors and turbos used from a non functional engine without testing the the parts your mechanic should advise against it. If you insist it isn’t the mechanics problem when things go wrong.

The only exception to customers suppling parts and the mechanic being responsible for the outcome may be supplied new genuine parts or exact parts specified from a source recommend by the mechanic.

If the mechanic or workshop sourced the engine and all parts the entire job is their responsibility. That is why parts are marked up.
By sourcing parts yourself you only have a warranty from the parts suppliers not the mechanic.

Sounds like the turbo is not spooling up or one or more injectors are bypassing. Without reading live data that’s only a guess. It could just be a faulty sensor debris on a sensor or an EGR partially stuck.
Best course of action now is to have a full diagnostic check run including reading live engine pressures and temperatures from all sensors as the fault is happening.

I drove it and the engine light came on :) plus it used to be a zippy little car and it drove real slow
OK, now we know the engine light comes on and the car used to be zippy. But what is wrong with the turbo ?
This story reads like a nightmare for any mechanic

As I said a few weeks ago, it's very likely a vacuum control issue and you should check the vacuum circuit before even thinking about removing the turbo. Spend $35 on a cheap vacuum hand pump and test it. Have you confirmed the mechanic has done these basic checks? If there is little or no boost, it will feel gutless and with throw a fault when the car detects the boost is below what is requested. It's a variable turbo and, yes, they can sometimes jam, but problems are ore often with a vacuum line or split air hose. If you do need a new turbo, EAI has some non-gen options that are probably a better bet than a random used item or some of the cheap Chinese cartridges on offer. It will probably take a day to change a turbo, so you do want to avoid this if you can. If this is all too hard with the current person, take it to someone who knows the brand or take it home and get a mobile tech to visit. I assume there is someone in Melbourne both mobile and competent.

As I said a few weeks ago, it's very likely a vacuum control issue and you should check the vacuum circuit before even thinking about removing the turbo. Spend $35 on a cheap vacuum hand pump and test it. Have you confirmed the mechanic has done these basic checks? If there is little or no boost, it will feel gutless and with throw a fault when the car detects the boost is below what is requested. It's a variable turbo and, yes, they can sometimes jam, but problems are ore often with a vacuum line or split air hose. If you do need a new turbo, EAI has some non-gen options that are probably a better bet than a random used item or some of the cheap Chinese cartridges on offer. It will probably take a day to change a turbo, so you do want to avoid this if you can. If this is all too hard with the current person, take it to someone who knows the brand or take it home and get a mobile tech to visit. I assume there is someone in Melbourne both mobile and competent.
Hi bishka. I concur 100% with Davd S comments above. As I said in post #30, and others also have, stop spending money on guesses, and engage someone who can diagnose. I suspect the resolution to be minor and may not cost much. You just need to correctly diagnose and then resolve the identified problem.

I think our friend is not doing any work himself, even simple things like suggested by David and I have a feeling he does not understand very well how these things (and especially diagnosis) works. That is why I asked how the turbo was diagnosed.

We can't help much here.

I think the best advice has already been given. Find a mechanic you can trust and who knows what they're doing and be prepared to follow their advice.

Else, walk away from the car now.

Reactions: IWS
The first post here was always worrying......new (to the car) engine installed, and driving away from the mechanic it was obvious it wasn't working. So the mechanic who installed the replacement engine, didn't even road test it to see if it was working ? Regardless of whether the newly installed engine was any good or not, the mechanic should have noticed on a road test if it was working correctly.

I'd be pulling the plug and going somewhere else.

Cheers

Justin