Newbie - 505 STI v GTI??

The earlier S2 GTIs had a 3-speed auto. I've got one. Can anyone tell me why it won't kick down properly? It shifts into top very quickly and stays there. It sometimes kicks down when needed, but usually not. Driven as an auto, it's very disappointing. Driven as a manual, it's quite brisk.

Warwick.

Sherman said:
So which are the pushrod motors and which OHC? Is everyone sure its not a Renault motor? Help.

The GR, SR and SLi motors are the pushrod ones. The SLi being an injected version.

The STI and GTI have the SOHC engine, although early STI models sold in North America only actually had the SLi pushrod motor.

The SOHC engine is as much a Peugeot motor as a Renault motor. Peugeot and Renault jointly own the factory in Douvrin which made these engines (and also the PRV V6, which has a similar head design to the SOHC four). As far as I know this factory now makes the current range of Peugeot/Renault V6 engines.

Dave

Last edited:
crosspug said:
But I'm almost at the end of my patience with the car now :cry: , with a newish gearbox, clutch etc and now rack boots. It still has drivetrain noise quite badly. Its overheating again because, and I don't know why the fan wont cut in?? (Thank god for the AIRCON fan that keeps it at normal temp when turned on) The dreams are fading slowly I think I might save for a 405 or 306, but they probably aren't as fun to try and work on. :rolleyes: :roflmao:

If the fan is not turning on when the motor is getting hot it is probably a blocked radiator as the usual set up (I don't know these cars in particular) is temp gauge sender is in the head and thermo switch for fan in radiator. So if the radiator does not get hot because there is not eneough flow the fan does not turn on and overheating results.

If the fan is not turning on when the motor is getting hot it is probably a blocked radiator as the usual set up (I don't know these cars in particular) is temp gauge sender is in the head and thermo switch for fan in radiator. So if the radiator does not get hot because there is not eneough flow the fan does not turn on and overheating results.

Thanks Sherman,

I've had this trouble before, seems to come and go. Just a matter of drain fluid, check connecters and pray I'm afraid. Tried to clean the radiator (out of car) many times but nothing of value seems to come out. :rolleyes: Now you see why I've lost patience, I've tried to fix so many times.

I've never had this problem with my other 505 that I had, but that had a Viscous clutch type fan (ie standard fan) while this has the electric thermo.

In fact this is what I am doing RIGHT now, damn hot on my concrete patch out the back I really need a shed, or shade of some sort. :rolleyes:

Jono :pugplak: