NEW TOPIC!!!

Blakeynz

Fellow Frogger
I wanna take the front panel (where the heater and air con consol is) off so i can check to see if any of the dials behind this are broken as my heater is not working. any ideas on the best way to do this? im sick of having to wear heaps of blankets in the car in the morning you know! blush

if the carpets in the front, especially on the passenger side are wet, it is most likely the heater has had it and leaked, to get to the heater it is a dash out job! The heater in my mums 306 xt went about a month ago and Dad managed to do the job in a weekend but we were banned from mentioning 306 heaters to him for a quite a while! The actual price of the heater is not too bad about $350 AUS. The amount of work in removing the dash is quite amazing, if you are confident get a Hayes manual and DIY if not definetly get a workshop, preferally a pug one to do the job.

Man u are in for a job as The gove box dosn't come away fromthe adsh you have to remove the whole dash and , Drop the steering collum, remove the center consoles and thats just to get to the unit. Carefull with the ac temp/fan controls lots of little bits and the center plactic facia has internal nuts on either side of the radio, You will need Torx head screwdrivers ( a set) and normal Phillips and Flat heads, Socket sets and general tools, Theres a bar on the lower edge of the dash that it screws to, and The corugated sections of a/C ducting come away pretty easy, carefull with setting off the airbag, disconnect the -ve terminal of the Batt, first and wait atleast 15 Mins, label every thing and take care not to snag the wiring harnes as it is close to the pedals box, also the drain for the heater ( condesor) box sticks out through a rubber grommet on the fire wall, lube (use vege oil, cheap) this before and when fitting back, take care not to damage any gaskets too.........mmmmmmm lots of luck, also on the bushes of the new/replacement fan, rub some Powdered Graphite (from most good hardwares) as this makes the fan more efficient and will help it last.....When refitting carefull with the handbrake cover as this can be little prick!! Good luck :rolleyes: 8_ball

Well i managed to get to the heater panel etc. and saw some sort of black poweder around the central dial on the circuit board. the hole where the central dial goes into is the control for the air con temp. so this is leading me to think that maybe something has blown in there. i couldnt get any further back than that and also there was this black boz with a cable running into it and for the life of me i couldnt see how to disconnect it without distroying the black box! so i bit my tongue and began to put everything back together. the weird thing is that the dials for the fans (high low) have now changed. im not sure how this happened as there are only two ways the metal pipe goes back into its hole and i checked both ways. so now the fan either blows on high or low but not off. funny that. wish i could get hot air thats all. o well suppose i need to take it in the get fixed for good. anyone know if peugeot sell colour coded mouldings and or bumbers? taa.

We've been here with our 306 (twice actually).

I'm in awe of anyone game to tackle the dash removal. I read my Haines manual carefully, when the first one failed, fortunately sitting down as my knees started to shake as the detail sank in.

We had one replaced in Perth and one on holiday in Adelaide (Taylors)

Your father deserves a very good bottle of red. A VERY good one.

It has to be the most involved job for a single and simple component replacement I've had the misfortune to come across. Maybe I'm spoiled - my 1964 R8 has its original radiator and heater radiator.

Could they not have found a better way (or at least a less bad way) of fitting that little heat exchanger into the firewall?

JohnW

Well i suppose the ignorant have nothing to fear. and that was how my gf and i tackled the job. im still unsure as to why the heater is not working. any ideas? i tell ya it was great fun to take the sucker apart! now im trying to take the door panels off so i can get at the clips which hold the mouldings onto the outside of the door. fun fun fun. the funny thing is that now im starting to hear a clunking sound on the front right wheel area of the car when i go over some uneven ground - which we have plenty of in nz. so need to check that out too. i mean what other car out there is so fun to drive AND work on as a pug! well apart from my gf's 1970 factory cab vw that is.