New music technology...

George 1/8th

1000+ Posts
Hi everyone....
I recently bought a USB MP3 FM Modulator from Jacar Electronics....because my tape player finally gave up. :(
This thing is fantastic...far better than any cd player!!...this has no moving parts. :D
I have a 128mb flash drive...I drag mp3s into it, whatever I want to listen to...from my computer...this gives me 2 hrs of music....
the flash drive plugs straight into the modulator...
The modulator plugs into the cigarette lighter for power...the car radio goes on..picks up the signal from the modulator...there you have it.
No moving parts, no belts, no stuffed capstans, no dirty heads, no magnetised heads, no tapes, no discs, no disc players, no headers, no problems. :joker:
I take it with me..it all fits into my pocket....nothing to tempt thieves with.
This is bloody fantastic. All for under $100.00, including the flash drive.
It works in any car with an FM radio.
Cheers...george 1/8th. :cheers: :cool:

George 1/8th said:
Hi everyone....
I recently bought a USB MP3 FM Modulator from Jacar Electronics....because my tape player finally gave up. :(
This thing is fantastic...far better than any cd player!!...this has no moving parts. :D
I have a 128mb flash drive...I drag mp3s into it, whatever I want to listen to...from my computer...this gives me 2 hrs of music....
the flash drive plugs straight into the modulator...
The modulator plugs into the cigarette lighter for power...the car radio goes on..picks up the signal from the modulator...there you have it.
No moving parts, no belts, no stuffed capstans, no dirty heads, no magnetised heads, no tapes, no discs, no disc players, no headers, no problems. :joker:
I take it with me..it all fits into my pocket....nothing to tempt thieves with.
This is bloody fantastic. All for under $100.00, including the flash drive.
It works in any car with an FM radio.
Cheers...george 1/8th. :cheers: :cool:

George

Does this device have variable frequencies and if so what range please? I bought a little plug in device that looks like a mouse recently but all four frequencies are in the <90 Mhz (?) band and around Wollongong and Sydney it is where all the tourist info/community stuff sits so I am always running into cross signal.

Hi Craig,

They have 2 listed, but this looks like the one to get -

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AR3115&CATID=24&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=619

This is the ultimate device for transmitting your audio to any FM receiver. Unlike "fixed" frequency transmitters, this one can tune to any frequency in the FM Band (88-108MHz) in steps of 0.1MHz, which allows you to easily tune around local stations which may be interfering. The frequency is displayed on the LCD so you can tune your car's FM radio to the exact frequency for best reception. Great with MP3 players, CD players, PDAs or any source of music which you want to listen to when mobile in your car. Powered by battery or car's cigarette lighter (lead included).

$59.95 for 1, $53.95 ea for 4.

Paul

Craig,

I tried the cheaper one for Jaycar (about $30) around a year ago and prompty returned it - the dynamic range was awful. At the time, it was the only one available.

Can't speak for the one Paul's nominated, but I'd be spending the extra dollars...

Cheers,
Nigel

I got a similar device for my ipod - the Griffin iTrip (although it is specifically designed for the ipod, and won't work with any other mp3 devices, as far as I know).

It comes with ~150 short mp3 files that each represent a frequency, that when played by the ipod set the device to broadcast on that frequency. Quite clever :) Don't think I'll be going back to cds or tapes any time soon. Just gotta figure out a way of controlling it via the steering wheel controls...

:headbang:

ash said:
I got a similar device for my ipod - the Griffin iTrip (although it is specifically designed for the ipod, and won't work with any other mp3 devices, as far as I know).

It comes with ~150 short mp3 files that each represent a frequency, that when played by the ipod set the device to broadcast on that frequency. Quite clever :) Don't think I'll be going back to cds or tapes any time soon. Just gotta figure out a way of controlling it via the steering wheel controls...

I've got the iTrip as well. It generally works well enough, though sometimes you get some interference. The only thing I don't like about the iTrip is that in order to play all mp3's randomly, you have set a play list with all the mp3's minus the iTrip files and play that playlist, otherwise it will play the iTrip files as well.

Troy.

TroyO said:
I've got the iTrip as well. It generally works well enough, though sometimes you get some interference. The only thing I don't like about the iTrip is that in order to play all mp3's randomly, you have set a play list with all the mp3's minus the iTrip files and play that playlist, otherwise it will play the iTrip files as well.

Troy.

Mmm I remember reading that in the rather scant manual that comes with the thing... Didn't think that this was the best solution at all, so what I've done is onnly copied two of the files across to my ipod - from memory it's the 100.00 and the 87.5 files. With my ipod almost full, I've found that I'm yet to have them come up as a random track (although it's bound to come up sooner or later!). Given that they're only 4sec long, though, I'm not too worried about that. I'd even go to the extent of removing them both - I set mine to 100.00 when I first got it, and in 6 months of driving around Melbourne and outer suburbs, I haven't needed to change it since :)

ash said:

Ash - see here for some possible solutions :)

http://www.citroencarclub.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1662

Paul

UFO said:
George

Does this device have variable frequencies and if so what range please? I bought a little plug in device that looks like a mouse recently but all four frequencies are in the <90 Mhz (?) band and around Wollongong and Sydney it is where all the tourist info/community stuff sits so I am always running into cross signal.

Hi Craig, ...it's called "Easy mp3"...and has seven pre-set FM frequencies...(87.7, 87.9, 88.1, 88.3, 88.5, 88.7, and 88.9 MHZ). :wink2:
I just use the first one, and haven't had any problems at all with interference from any radio station.
Cheers....george 1/8th. :cheers: :cool:

Thanks for the link, Paul! Some of the suggestions sound pretty good, especially the Dension unit. Might investigate that one a little further.

I've toyed with the idea of somehow splicing a USB port in under the dash somewhere, primarily to provide charging power to the unit (although I guess the possibility of remote control would be there). I've heard of it being done in other cars before, and it certainly would be an interesting exercise... Would also be quite handy for my USB mobile phone charger!!