New Motor In 504 Ti

Louis

Fellow Frogger
After learning about a (probably) a cracked piston in my 504 Ti a couple of months ago I now have enough money to resolve this problem.

Essentially the car has been running really badly for awhile and my mechanic at AutoFrance (NZ) believed there was a cracked piston.

I do not want to spend more than say $1500 to 2000 $NZ MAX!

I have thought about selling it but at the end of the day, I've got my hands on a 504 Ti in good conditon (no rust, new front shocks, everything works) apart from the fact the motor isn't the best. I could get a newer but less interesting car, but I know later on I'd want a classic Peugeot anyway and I'd end up paying more in the future.

I live in Auckland. Would anyone have any idea as to what my options are for engines, I think obtaining a new XN motor will be difficult. The only motor I could find from wreckers was a 505 carby motor, how difficult would this be for my mechanics to adapt to Kugelfischer?

I'm going down to AutoFrance tomorrow, these guys have been in business for decades and know their stuff so should hopefully have a good idea of how to progress.

I really want to get the car sorted out for a long time even if it does require a bit money. With a solid motor there's nothing stopping this car from going forever.

This has been a bit of rant but It'd be cool to hear any ideas from others as to what they'd do, bear in mind I am in New Zealand.

My Ti engine is built on a later model carby engine block... the only issue is that there is an extra dowel in the timing cover of the carby engine that has to be removed when you fit the alloy timing chest for the Kugelfischer gear.

Any competent mechanic should be able to do the changeover without fuss. But it might be easier to simply throw the rods, pistons and sleeves into the original block. And the crank if the one in the TI is showing any wear. This will also save having to swap over the camshaft, it's important to retain the TI cam.

The 505 engine here, and I guess there, has the higher compression pistons, so you'll be using premium fuel.