New Member (Pug 206 GTI)

DaMorgs

Tadpole
Happy Saturday Everyone!

I've just joined. I found this site through a little bit of googling.

I recently bought a 2002 Peugeot 206 GTI. It was originally bought as a run around to get me to work and back. After a few months I started getting immature, silly thoughts and decided, despite the fact I'm old enough to know better I'm going to play with it a little.

So, with this in mind, I want to make the car a little more fun. I'm not planning on spending $1,000s on it, but I would like to spend a little bit of money. It has a few minor issues that I'll be fixing along the way too. For example I have the dreaded 'airbag fault' which I read here is a wiring issue. I've confirmed that, by tightening the connection and it fixed it for a day or two, but now it's back. So that's on the list.

The suspension needs some new rubbers I believe (I'm certainly no mechanic) as I occasionally get a decent 'clunk' going over some larger bumps in the road, speed humps etc. I may push the boat out and get some decent suspension for it.

Anyway, back to my childish behaviour...

I bought a K&N Pod Filter. It sounds sooo cool!!:D

Any tips on what I could do next for some minor engine upgrades? It doesn't particularly have to make it faster/more powerful, but that would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance

Daz

Welcome to the "Pond" 'Morgs'.
Age is relative so ignore that issue there are far older frogs than you here. Some of us don't even remember what the word "Tadpole" means........ come to think of it, many of just can't plain remember, full stop!
Front anti roll bar bushes / links are a common but not expensive issue.
Do you call that getting lucky?
Happy paddling!
Deane.

Without spending a lot you aren't going to upgrade a GTi road car. Peugeot's engineers know their job. The suspension, for example, is already decent. I'd spend the cash getting it back to original order. The filter is basically a noise device.

Another possible clunk over bumps is a worn bearing at the top of the strut. These are exposed to water and dirt and do get sloppy. The strut top will then move sideways.

Lower control arms

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

[...]

The filter is basically a noise device.

[...]

Noise is power. Ask any lobbyist.

See the brief below.

[...]

Any tips on what I could do next for some minor engine upgrades? It doesn't particularly have to make it faster/more powerful, but that would be a bonus.

[...]

Flux capacitor?

Seriously, your engine would be a lot faster in the trunk of a faster car.

Last edited:
Another possible cause of a suspension clunk could be rear beam needing doing. If so, save your pennies to get this job done first.

Thanks guys, I’ll have a look at the suspension etc and see if I can see what it is.

Noise is power [emoji12]. Love it lol

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Welcome DaMorgs.
I’ve done a few things to my GTI 180 to change the way it feels/drives.
Which is easily achievable on your GTI.

The progression on my mods were K&N panel filter, Bilstein B6 shocks front and rear then Eibach Pro-Street front springs which dropped the front enough to match front and rear arch gaps, I also got adjustable drop links. (I did this more for the aesthetic of the car but it also helped handling).
I have an MTech short shifter as I didn’t love the play/slack in the stock mechanism.
I then got a Quaife LSD installed and to be honest if your suspension on the car is working fine then I’d get the Quaife first, which is pricey (I paid about $1k for diff alone) but worth every cent. It’s the single thing that has really transformed how my 180 drives and I feel the GTI would benefit just as much. It’s greatly increased the enjoyment I get from driving the car.
A previous owner had also swapped the rear stock muffler with a magnaflow unit which I think sounds incredible.
I’ve also found that EBC yellow stuffs are a great pad for spirited use on my car, although it has Brembo’s from a 406 on the front now, so not an apples for apples comparison.
I’ve also have Poly-urethane bushings on my sway-bar and lower control arms which have tightened the front end up but are a little noisy which I don’t mind but is not everyone’s cuppa.
Hope this gives you some things to think about.
I’m happy to try and answer any questions if you have them.

Regards,
Tim

Welcome DaMorgs.

The progression on my mods were K&N panel filter, Bilstein B6 shocks front and rear then Eibach Pro-Street front springs which dropped the front enough to match front and rear arch gaps, I also got adjustable drop links. (I did this more for the aesthetic of the car but it also helped handling).
I have an MTech short shifter as I didn’t love the play/slack in the stock mechanism.
I then got a Quaife LSD installed and to be honest if your suspension on the car is working fine then I’d get the Quaife first, which is pricey (I paid about $1k for diff alone) but worth every cent. It’s the single thing that has really transformed how my 180 drives and I feel the GTI would benefit just as much. It’s greatly increased the enjoyment I get from driving the car.
A previous owner had also swapped the rear stock muffler with a magnaflow unit which I think sounds incredible.
I’ve also found that EBC yellow stuffs are a great pad for spirited use on my car, although it has Brembo’s from a 406 on the front now, so not an apples for apples comparison.
I’ve also have Poly-urethane bushings on my sway-bar and lower control arms which have tightened the front end up but are a little noisy which I don’t mind but is not everyone’s cuppa.
Hope this gives you some things to think about.
I’m happy to try and answer any questions if you have them.

Regards,
Tim

Thanks Tim,

It'll be a slow process, but I'll definitely have a look at these options. Mechanically the car is sound for it's age, it's got a couple of small dings in the bodywork but they're not a concern yet.

The clunk is very likely to be the front anti roll bar drop links.

2nd this! They are a really easy DIY fix - cheap parts too. I got an upgrade set off eBay really cheap. Fixed the knocking/bump sounds and front end feels tighter in cornering! Win!

Welcome DaMorgs.

Regards,
Tim

Hey Tim, where did you get your Diff' from?? I'm very interested.