New member... I hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapito

Fellow Frogger
Hello Amphibians
Im won over by the renaults all alloy 1600s so much so that Im attempting a transplant into my rwd datsun 1000. Currently with cast iron A series engine and 596kg, Im aiming at 560 full steel body. It was originally from factory at 625kgs without radio, heater and passenger sunvisor (the really poor mans car model for those who couldnt afford a poor mans car) and raced to win class a at the 1967 bathurst and a 1,2,3 position at the 1969 japan rally grand prix with the 988cc boat anchor. They won the 1968 class A at bathurst too but they were disqualified for some reason cause they placed ahead of a works holden or something like that therefore a much further placed big block 1200cc corolla got the honours.
Although released as a cheapy with half galvanised from bottom up in some models therefore no rust! Its my pride and joy.
It doesnt handle like a Gord but its very predictable and forgiving with little modification. I like Oldskool and the ren`s pushrod is a beauty just waiting to awaken my 1K true destiny since renault and nissan became lovers.
So enough of my rambles and help!
Im wondering if you could help as Im only new to renability
So far I want to use the 1647cc block with a front type crank pulley and waterpump with Gordini 17 replica crossflow head and webers.
I need to know if the gearboxes are the same for the 2 liter ohc and the pushrod 1600s with just the bellhousing being the difference if so I could perhaps use the peugeot ba7/5 gearbox?
Or is the bolt pattern the same?? :eek:
In this weeks trading post is a terrific caravelle with wait for it... 4sp auto and 1.4 litre engine!!!! interchangebilty plus so am im lucky enough to be able to use a rwd ba7/5 box with the twink? or do I have to empty out my pockets to rod hadfield?
For those wondering..... Well because the twink ruled and still rules.
Im not interested in pollution gear just old skool and power to weight simplicity
in a teffific pressure die cast masterpiece unlike the heavy ass nissan sr20 sand cast dinosaur or any other block that doesnt match the twinks 18 pound bare block.

Last edited:
Sapito, I won't give you a florid welcome, as I assume you won't make 200 posts... ;)

I used to have a beautifully made custom built beach buggy with a worked over Datsun 1000 motor in it - head work, extractors, hot dog etc. It had 13 inch Mickey Thomsons on the back (13 inch wide...) and could wheelie on take off. Not a bad little motor - it sounded like a race car, being 3 inches behind your back!

Stuey

RWD gearbox

Well Im not going to make 200 if I get no one to talk to :disappr:

But if I get the answer Im after then I would like to share my project and its further development.

Its a shame I didnt say it was going into a clubman or something more exotic like a lotus then maybe Id get some replys but when I mention "datsun" it usually puts me in the commie blacklist of the America in the 50s.

What I propose to do to my car is not a discredit to renault or datsuns.

It will thanks to their joint partnership allow me into improved production racing at the nissan club. However with renpug running gear Im sure to get the same welcome there too.

I love most cars for their differences like I like my women but to be left in the cold and told that I wont make 200 posts :blackeye: hurts a bit.

I too had a manx with a custom late disk front end (77 model) beetle and 69 rear end running a 2.1 litre type 1 big bore engine that made it mono on any light take off and it felt like a harley gang was up my clacker. :clown:
Ive owned over 70 cars since I started driving and most have been things like rotary powered sprites and other rotary species with annoying wild banshee screams (could never quieten those things), all the range of datsun sports cars and a handful of early 2002 beemers (one with a turbo 13b that was quiet!). My father has owned many a pug and rens in Argentina but went to his wedding in a crowded fiat bambino.

Some of my dream rides would be an a110, alfa 037, 5 turbo, ford rs200, 1967 toyota gt2000, 1967 mazda cosmos and my no1 a 1937 Talbot-Lago T150ss

By the way can anyone help with my query on the ba7/5 gearbox??? :confused: or will I just see more nasal hair. :(

Hey, take it easy squire! :) I winked when I said it - wasn't meant to be an insult, you're very welcome to hang around. I just assumed you wouldn't want to once to got the info. I'd be interested in your project, actually.

I'm going to close this thread as you've posted a similar one over in the performance forum.

Stuey

Status
Not open for further replies.