New here! 2001 Peugeot 306 xsi

Joshfair

Tadpole
Hey everyone!

I purchased a 2001 306 xsi this afternoon and I’m pumped to be a first time Peugeot owner.

The car is neat as a pin and runs awesome but please let me know if there are any common ailments or issues I should keep my eye out for! Knowledge is power..

Cheers!
Josh

The cabin heater matrix and driver's door wiring loom are by the far the worst.

Welcome. You have what was a very desirable car in its time, and still is.

What is the mileage (OK, kms)? And to ensure accuracy in comments which engine code (letters 6-7-8 of the VIN)?

Peugeot and Citroen use their many engines in more than one model, and that will enable members to share their engine experiences.

I think the 405 and the smaller 306 were outstanding car designs and handling is excellent.

Yep, in time the heater coil may leak. Is the car manual or auto?

Welcome. You have what was a very desirable car in its time, and still is.

What is the mileage (OK, kms)? And to ensure accuracy in comments which engine code (letters 6-7-8 of the VIN)?

Peugeot and Citroen use their many engines in more than one model, and that will enable members to share their engine experiences.

I think the 405 and the smaller 306 were outstanding car designs and handling is excellent.

Yep, in time the heater coil may leak. Is the car manual or auto?
Thanks for the welcome! It’s got 144,XXX km and is neat as a pin. The engine code looks to be RFV? It’s manual :) ad from car sales below:-

That's also known as the XU10J4R (built 1995 to 2005) to help you search this and other forums.

It's a while since I did anything with one of these, but I remember working on the idle speed setup,

Ok thanks!
Everytime you open the door, the wires work harden a bit.
The heater matrix is a dash out or dash backwards repair.
Most other issues on the car are easily delt with.
Another is the RH top engine mount fixing point. The steel work hardens around the captive nut in the body.

Welcome! That is a very clean example. It actually looks identical to an xsi I had and sold in ~2008. Might even be the same car as when I sold it, it was immaculate and low kays.

Brilliant cars, and as Peter says, not hard to keep running well. But will take more effort than a Corolla.

Timing belt and water pump is a must do, if there's no recent record of it being done. And lower control arm bushings. Refresh these (buy the whole arm) and drop links to really make the front end feel like it should.

I only ever had little niggles that were part of every 306. Mirror adjust joystick probably doesn't work? Lucky if it does. And indicator stalk clicking or not working properly. Common fault but easily fixed, just fiddly.

Very jealous of your car!

I have a 306 Rallye Best Peugeot I have had in 40 years Am trying to find another This car feels as tight as the day it was delivered (new)
Change cam belt,water pump,thermostat.can guides REGULARLY
Cheers from
Greg Luke
Mt Evelyn. Vic

A very nice car! I was the last one to own her before your seller. The “Chopped” sticker was thanks to my 14yo son 😉

Am pleased to confirm the timing belt was done under my ownership. The “Seal of Authenticity” is the white liquid paper writing on the timing belt cover…. Mileage/Date when undertaken by Bill McNamee.

Also, all filters/thermostat were done in November 2021 to give you some comfort too.

Cosmetically, tinting put on by me and a two stage paint correction (Menzerna) was undertaken.

The mid muffler was replaced and my only gripe was they put that exhaust tip on at the same time? Don’t know why!

Anyway, she’s very original and bulletproof so enjoy. Hope the previous owner passed on all the paperwork to you….the history is exemplary for a 23yo XSi. See pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0188.jpeg
    IMG_0188.jpeg
    680.7 KB · Views: 44
***And, I only sold her to raise a bit of cash for a new pool. Along with living under a car cover outside, just wasn’t fair on the XSi 😢

When I saw that ad I thought, not seen a 306 in that condition for some time, and bonus getting all that history from Mi16 Man indeed.

On my daughters 306 Rallye (same as XSI) I had to do the heater matrix. It is involved yes, but not as bad a job as you might expect. I did it over a Saturday/Sunday taking my time and it all went back fairly easlily.

A very nice car! I was the last one to own her before your seller. The “Chopped” sticker was thanks to my 14yo son 😉

Am pleased to confirm the timing belt was done under my ownership. The “Seal of Authenticity” is the white liquid paper writing on the timing belt cover…. Mileage/Date when undertaken by Bill McNamee.

Also, all filters/thermostat were done in November 2021 to give you some comfort too.

Cosmetically, tinting put on by me and a two stage paint correction (Menzerna) was undertaken.

The mid muffler was replaced and my only gripe was they put that exhaust tip on at the same time? Don’t know why!

Anyway, she’s very original and bulletproof so enjoy. Hope the previous owner passed on all the paperwork to you….the history is exemplary for a 23yo XSi. See pic.
Definitely not my old car then looking at the history. I was hopeful it had survived so well.

***And, I only sold her to raise a bit of cash for a new pool. Along with living under a car cover outside, just wasn’t fair on the XSi 😢
The lesson here is for Josh is to actually enjoy driving the car.
This little red beauty is far prettier than my daily driver M0NQ (metallic sigma blue) 1998 306 XSi with peeling clear coat and supermarket carpark dings but I do very much love driving a nice winding road to swim laps at the public pool. Still makes me grin every time after 12 years of ownership.
Also, the belts/water pump and harmonic balancer (notorious for delaminating) should come in a kit from EAI.

The lesson here is for Josh is to actually enjoy driving the car.
Yes, Yes, YES.

Took the GTi6 on a mountain loop on Sunday - from Launceston out via the back roads to Golden Valley, up to Liawenee for lunch then down Poatina. Didn't do anything even remotely silly, but enjoyed every turn in the road.