New acquisition: 206 GTI 180

Hayden HD

Tadpole
Hi all,

I thought I'd introduce myself as I've just joined the Motion & Emotion fraternity. So far it's more Emotion than Motion, but I hope to change that!

I've just bought myself a 206 GTI 180 from the auctions. It's a repairable write off as it's had a little encounter with a 'roo, but initial assessments is that the metalwork is all straight, with just the bumper, headlight, grille, and bonnet taking a kicking.

Originally I intended to complete the VIV inspection process and put the car back on the road, but after some research it seems likely that, regardless of the superficial nature of the damage, it would require chassis measurements on a jig, seat belts and pre-tensioners replaced, air bag inspections, etc. This would cost quite a bit, and ruins the calculus when they're pretty cheap cars on the second hand market.

So instead I'm considering a motorsports future for the little bleu rocket, with Autocross, the Philip Island 6 hour, and perhaps even the 24hrs of Lemons under consideration.

Before then, I need to get the thing working properly. There's two obvious faults (aside from the impression of a 'roo on the front right) and I'm curious on everyone's opinion on them:

It runs poorly on startup, bogging to the point of stalling when you try to take off. If you give it a big rev it'll run cleanly for a bit. In parrallel, it's returning an anti pollution fault. Once it warms up it runs well and pulls strongly. The car has a full service history and160 k kms on the clock. From a little initial research, there's a secondary air pump mounted under the front left hand guard beneath the headlight, which is right where the 'roo struck. I understand it runs on startup to heat the cat and reduce emissions, which fits with the symptoms. Has anyone had much experience troubleshooting this system? Is the air pump the same on all 206's?

The other issue is that the lh rear wheel has a load of negative camber, so much so that the tyre has worn unevenly. I understand that the trailing arm bearings are a weak point in the 206 and in the UK / Europe they collapse to the point of destroying pivot point on the rear beam, requiring the whole beam to be repaired or replaced. Is it likely to get this bad on an Aussie car? I'm hoping that I can just change the bearings without dropping the beam out.

Anyway, I look forward to updating you on my 206 (mis)adventures.

Welcome!

It would be good to get a computer fault reading on your engine. Coil pack problems will show up with the symptoms you describe. If the car has been sitting a while, it might even just be a spark plug. You'll get the anti pollution fault any time there's a misfiring. The fault code from the computer will tell you which cylinder(s) are misfiring.

I have sadly hit a roo with a 206GTI (now in the my wrecking yard) and in my 180. The hit to the 180 did only the tiniest dent but still broke the headlight mountings, punctured the radiator, and broke various important plastic bits around the place. In both cases it took a lot of looking - and some dismantling - to see all the damage that had really occurred - so you might be unpleasantly surprised by how much damage has actually happened. Everything is very tightly packed in there and not well protected from impacts.

Good luck with the project. They are great fun to drive.

Kim