New '94 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9TD owner

akaBurnsy

Tadpole
G'Day fellow Peugeot owners,

My brother and I recently signed up the 2019 spring Shitbox Rally to raise money for the Cancer Council after recently loosing our father to prostate cancer. It just so happened that our grandfather was in the market for a new car and he was offered just under a grand for his '94 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9TD that he's owned since new. The car has only 133K kms, the price was right and it seemed fitting to use his car as he is remission from prostate cancer.

Grandad is generally pretty fastidious so we assumed that the car should be in reasonable shape and didn't inspect it. Unfortunately, it turns out that the 405's engine has seen better days. On the drive home I discovered what sounds like a cooked bearing in the vicinity of the drive/timing belts coming from the bottom of the engine bay. The sound changes with engine speed and goes away when the air conditioner turns on. Also, there is a fair bit of oil coating the engine which didn't concern me too much until I found that there is a bit of oil in the coolant. So it looks like I'll be spending the weekend degreasing the engine to find the leaks as well as inspecting it with a garden hose stethoscope.

Do any of the issues I've described sound like common faults with the 1.9TD? Also, does anyone happen to have a PDF copy of a 405 1.9TD workshop manual? I've only managed to find manuals for the petrol engines. If not, I'll just have to buy one.

Cheers!