Never ending C15 headache.

RustyC15

Tadpole
Tadpole
I bought my daughter a 2003 Romahome 1.9d. It has had a catalogue of problems. The first was finding out that Romahome stopped making these in 1998! Alarm bells ringing ever since. I've been busy with it but I still don't know exactly what engine we have. Had no heater and the fault is with a plastic manifold (flange) at engine rear. The heater port is blocked off and it has been changed at some point. Now I'm worried that the cooling fans don't work as we've never heard them operate. Any wiring diagram I can find shows a 2 stage switch in the radiator but all I can find is a transducer in the t/stat housing. Could anyone help me determine my engine model and if possible shed some light on the fan control? We have twin fan motors and 3 relays. I believe the relays switch the motors into series or parallel to achieve the 2 speeds. Relays have metered out fine but I don't know what controls them. Sorry for the essay for my first post but I'm running out of enthusiasm for this van:(

We don't see these here. Can I assume a 1.9L naturally aspirated diesel Berlingo? That might be a DW8B (WJZ) 1868cc
dw8b.png

Last edited:
This MAY be for your van. Check. There are different systems.
dw8 inj.png

I had a bit of a read on your model Romahome and apparently reusing the camper section on a newer Citroen C15 chassis is quite common?
So I guess the truck part is whatever the Citroen build plates say it is and the back part may be a little older?
However one source I read said the last factory C15 Romahomes were built in 2000/2001 and that there were often lengthy delays (up to 18 months) to delivery.
Is 2003 the "first registered" date for yours, or the Citroen build date?
Can't help with the fan side of things sorry, but if all else fails it wouldn't be too hard to fit a couple of different trigger point generic thermo switches to operate the two fans independently (and an override if the vehicle has AC) for some peace of mind.

I had a bit of a read on your model Romahome and apparently reusing the camper section on a newer Citroen C15 chassis is quite common?
So I guess the truck part is whatever the Citroen build plates say it is and the back part may be a little older?
However one source I read said the last factory C15 Romahomes were built in 2000/2001 and that there were often lengthy delays (up to 18 months) to delivery.
Is 2003 the "first registered" date for yours, or the Citroen build date?
Can't help with the fan side of things sorry, but if all else fails it wouldn't be too hard to fit a couple of different trigger point generic thermo switches to operate the two fans independently (and an override if the vehicle has AC) for some peace of mind.
First registered as a "car derived van" in 2003 so I think your first theory is correct. Don't have a temp gauge so we are depending on the sender unit to flag up over temperature and also call for cooling. Lots of help here so hopefully I will get to grips with it all.

Th
We don't see these here. Can I assume a 1.9L naturally aspirated diesel Berlingo? That might be a DW8B (WJZ) 1868cc
View attachment 222645
This is the closest I've seen. Thanks. On my van, the expansion bottle (7) connects to water manifold (8) and heater connected to the blank port on (8) too. Something isn't right!

Not sure of the C15, but the Berlingo/Partner of the time share some commonality with the 306.

The 306 cooling fan system is explained pretty well at >> Peugeot logic <<

Sadly the website appears to have recently been taken over by hackers, however the link I provided is from the Wayback machine, so it's still got the info.

It may be of some help.

This diagram may help.
The Berlingo with the DW8B has a twin speed fan. Low speed should engage at 97deg and cut off at 94. High speed engages at 105 and cuts out at 102.
berlingo cooling.png

Air conditioned Berlingos can have a 3 speed fan, The mid speed is BSI controlled and is dependent on AC pressure.

berlingo cooling.png

Last edited:
Does the chassis have a VIN stamped on it? If you have no idea what the engine is, looking up the vehicle by VIN will provide that information. The type of engine (e.g. WJZ) is often included in the stamped engine number, so that may be helpful.
Early Berlingos sold in AU and built early 2000's often lost the cooling fan if the resistor unit mounted on the radiator support failed.

Does the chassis have a VIN stamped on it? If you have no idea what the engine is, looking up the vehicle by VIN will provide that information. The type of engine (e.g. WJZ) is often included in the stamped engine number, so that may be helpful.
Early Berlingos sold in AU and built early 2000's often lost the cooling fan if the resistor unit mounted on the radiator support failed.
David, I have the VIN number but no idea what to do with it. I have an engine number too but it tells me nothing either.

Almost all C15s had the 1769 cc XUD engine. Some late models had the 1868cc DW8 engine (which was an evolution of the XUD), but that I think was only 2004-5 models which weren't sold in the UK or Ireland as far as I know.

I also found this comment on the French Car Forum:
"Is this the same wierd scheme they have on the C15 where the fans are run in parallel on full speed and in series for slow speed, which involves some funky relay wiring and a 3-pin switch in the radiator to set the speeds?
I remember once spending an entire day in a field in Spain trying to work out how the hell it was supposed to work."

Last edited:
In Australia we are guessing. To me a "1.9d" is a DW8B, code WJZ, as used in the Berlingo of that time, but that is a "may be", as I said.

If you post the VIN and the engine number that you have, we will know which engine it is. Citroen VINs now contain the engine code letters. Then somebody will hopefully know if the C15 fan system differs from a Berlingo with the same mechanicals.

Sorry guys, I thought I'd posted the VIN nr. earlier. Must've left the page without posting. Not much chance of me fixing a car if I cant even post on a forum! VIN is: VF7VDVV0006VV2818 and engine nr. is: DXEM6050975

Not sure of the C15, but the Berlingo/Partner of the time share some commonality with the 306.

The 306 cooling fan system is explained pretty well at >> Peugeot logic <<

Sadly the website appears to have recently been taken over by hackers, however the link I provided is from the Wayback machine, so it's still got the info.

It may be of some help.
Thank you so much for this link. It explains the system beautifully. I disconnected my transducer and the fans ran at full speed, as they should if sensor goes open circuit. Feel much happier now I know they work. Looks like the relays may be controlled by the ECU but I plan to look for a separate controller again tomorrow.

Seems you are making progress. Per your VIN :

1686190373398.png

Thanks so much for your help David. I live in NW Ireland and find it impossible to get help locally. I have joined several groups but the only real help has come from you guys, on the other side of the world.

So I guessed the engine correctly. Here we can only use Berlingo experience. Good luck with fixing it.

So I guessed the engine correctly. Here we can only use Berlingo experience. Good luck with fixing it.
Yip, a DW8B. I spotted the part that I need on Ebay but all the sellers say it doesn't fit my vehicle. I'm pretty happy that this engine was used more commonly in the Berlingo so I ordered the part. Will fit it tomorrow and check the heater even though we are having a heatwave here in Ireland. I'm sure it won't be long before it's needed again!