need suggestions for lowering my car...

If you realy must lower any car I would sugest only doing so by 1/2 an inch (13mm). Any more than this it becomes difficult to set the correct camber and caster angles. Uprated bushings are great for improving suspension control; but can be at the expense of NVH. Remember Peugeot are the only car maker that produces its own shockabsorbers (suspension dampers), they do a lot of research into spring rates and damper rates so change these and results are likely to be less than pleasing. Springs are springs imported high ticket items are no beter than locally produced items (try king springs) spring rate and ride height are the really important factors. Finaly dont cut or heat original items (some people do)or allow some dickhead at the local tyre service to try to dail-in more camber or caster this will mess up the turn in and steering feel. In short fit springs with 13mm lower ride height and same spring rate, renew any worn bushes with genuine items, have dampers checked and replace (in pairs only) with genuine items if required.

I'm not usually like this, but I really wasn't in the mood for it that night....
Fellow P-plater in NA Fairlane sitting on my rear bumper. I switch on the rear fogs - he remains.
Traffic stopped at a light in the middle of Box-Hill central, up ahead...I speed up slightly, and at the last minute, swerve to avoid a stopped Toy Landcruiser.
Fairline.....screeeeeeeech..... BAM!
Lots of people turn a look.

I know, it was wrong and stupid.....
He tailgaited me on the wrong day.</strong>[/QUOTE]

The "rear fog light" approach to getting rid of tailgaters is a good one but it seems to work best with people who have simply been badly taught , and don't understand the need for space (mind you, that accounts for about two thirds of the driving population) .

Super agro Ayrton Senna wannabee twits probably get so used to it that they simply disregard any red lights on the rear of your car altogether.

Finding a nice gravely bit of road verge to pull off on to works up to a point for the ones with shiny new cars, but not for the older ones.

Jez's swerve approach is promising but a bit extreme for most circumstances, and could have deleterious consequences if you get your timing wrong.

Shane's is the right way to go, but can be annoying if you are in a hurry.

Any other novel approaches (short of fitting a rear facing Maxim gun) to get rid of these tailgating pests? ( around 2/3rds of all accidents, I gather, are now rear end shunts) I've got vague ideas of fitting a cheap remote controlled camera on the tailgate (with flash perhaps) .

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 21 April 2002, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>

[/qb][/QUOTE]I'm not usually like this, but I really wasn't in the mood for it that night....
Fellow P-plater in NA Fairlane sitting on my rear bumper. I switch on the rear fogs - he remains.
Traffic stopped at a light in the middle of Box-Hill central, up ahead...I speed up slightly, and at the last minute, swerve to avoid a stopped Toy Landcruiser.
Fairline.....screeeeeeeech..... BAM!
Lots of people turn a look.
QB][/QUOTE]

Good one! I hope the guy learnt his lesson.

Dave

DoubleChevron:
Ya know what happens when people tailgate me??? Ever seen a shiny new Semi doing 30km/h on freeway eek! eek! That's what happens when they catch me (when I'm doing 120km/h+) and tailgate me millimeters off my towbar. Trust me this is NO exageration. It really did happen disappro
Yeah, I've made a few tailgating semis change down through 10 gears or so in a 100 zone, then I speed off. I really don't know how those guys expect to stop umpteen tonnes of metal when the vehicle in front has to stop suddenly. I guess some of them don't care about whether they run over the vehicle in front or not.

Dave

Rod Hagen:
Any other novel approaches (short of fitting a rear facing Maxim gun) to get rid of these tailgating pests? ( around 2/3rds of all accidents, I gather, are now rear end shunts) I've got vague ideas of fitting a cheap remote controlled camera on the tailgate (with flash perhaps) .

Cheers

Rod
If you have a 504GLD or similar, how about shifiting it down a gear or two - instant smoke screen! evil It's also quick way to find yourself on the EPA's top 10 most wanted list.

Jez 405:
[If you have a 504GLD or similar, how about shifiting it down a gear or two - instant smoke screen! evil It's also quick way to find yourself on the EPA's top 10 most wanted list.
Mmm. Plenty of food for thought there. Maybe a squeeze bulb to drip a little transmission fluid onto the exhaust would be a useful innovation!

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 21 April 2002, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>

put a spark plug in the exhaust and power it and put a switch in the car
they start getting close floor it and flick the switch
instant flames lol

Good to see the creative juices are flowing, pugrambo ...

Perhaps some sort of modification to the wagon's spare wheel holder might be in order (or ordure) too -- I guess out around Parkes there would be plenty of nice green cow pats that could be incorporated into the system?

Anyone know if Australian Design Regulations prohibit the fitting of a dung flinger for the purpose of defending against tailgaters?

Cheers

Rod

PugRambo: A friend of mine was going to do this to his car as a purely ricer addition to have a laugh at and play with. Connect a Spark plug, ignition coil, sprayer of some kind following Metho with a second fuel pump, and have a button on the dash to activate the ignition coil and fuel pump....Instant flames. :D :)

Have to tell him he could use it to defeat tailgaters too :p wink

<small>[ 26 April 2002, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: The Pupat ]</small>

As far as I'm aware, results are pretty damn spectacular even without an extra fuel source (metho)... just floor it! :)

I always thought a boot filled with bowling balls, and some sort of auto release mechanism would cause some major havoc.

In my young and stupid days, a friend of mine bowled a stolen bowling ball from a car I was driving... we were going down a hill, he bowled it, and I slowed down!

It gathered a lot of momentum! :)

I am not anywhere near as stupid these days...

Tailgaters!! Shit easy in a CX with fully charged spheres - Just do as I did at 4 am one day when leaving on an interstate trip & I was taking a shortcut through the back of Inala. Just wait until he's right on your tail (with the lights on high beam of course - more spectacular that way evil ,) gradually build up speed and simply drive straight ahead over a roundabout eek! eek! boy, you want to see how high an XD Falcons wheels can go in the air if he hits it a the right speed evil
Now about the subject matter; just pulled this off a UK forum and posted by an aussiefrogs member. Probably beat him to the gun clown

<a href="http://www.tuning.co.uk/puglowering/lowering.htm" target="_blank">http://www.tuning.co.uk/puglowering/lowering.htm</a>

Pretty well tells it all.

Alan S

Hey, this probably a bit late, but i have just had set of custom springs made up for my 205 GTi by an Adelaide company called Industrial Engineers & Spring Makers. These were made to my specification but 4 weeks to be made, due a back log of work. I have yet to install them, but the reason i had these made up was because H&R quoted me $356 for a pair and Eibach $220, I only paid $150 for a custom set.
Just thought I let ya know!