Naughty... I know!

Nina

Tadpole
Firstly, I would like to say hello to everyone!!

Ok now with my query...

Does anyone know how to disconnect the speedometer on a 2003 Clio, so that my mileage doesn't climb? I know it isn't the right thing to do, but I'm having a bit of a problem (y'see I got the car on hired purchase and am retricted to 10,000 miles for a year) Damn contracts! :deal:

I look forward to hearing from someone - and I will be eternally grateful if someone can help me!!!

Nina x

No need, when you get to 10,000km drive everywhere in reverse. Your mileage will go down then.

Ren
:cheers:

Last edited:
be prepared to pull half the dash out i reckon.

shouldn't be to hard though.

it's a good idea actually.

shouldnt be too hard - you just need to find the speed sensor on the trans and pull its plug or whatever. But is very naughty. Just post the rego number/ vin number on here so no Aussiefroggers pick it up s/h after your lease is up :tongue:
My Dad tells a good story of getting a brand new Jenson Interceptor for a whole day test drive with a friend in Perth in the early 70's, disconnecting the speedo cable and heading for the back roads out in the wheat belt. He also did it with an NSU Ro80 before he bought his (not the same one ;) ) and the dealer noticed the extreme feathering on the front tyres and asked them if they had fun! :mallet:

Hi Nina

Was Dick Emery from Surrey? "Ooooohhh you are NAUGHTY...but I LIKE it!

Have you thought about how you'd avoid a ban through the fines from speed cameras? Think about it...

Stuey

Nina said:
Does anyone know how to disconnect the speedometer on a 2003 Clio, so that my mileage doesn't climb? I know it isn't the right thing to do, but I'm having a bit of a problem (y'see I got the car on hired purchase and am retricted to 10,000 miles for a year) Damn contracts! :deal: I look forward to hearing from someone - and I will be eternally grateful if someone can help me!!! Nina x
Nothing like a topic heading like THAT to get peoples attention !

With electronic instruments theses days it mightn't be as easy as pulling the speedo cable out .. eg. the 206GTi uses the ABS sensors to get the speed of the car , which one could conclude that the total kms/mi is gathered the same way (but I don't know).

So disconnecting a cable may not be possible - I've never looked under the hood of a Clio before (gee that last sentence sounded dodgy).

Never heard of a contract that limits mileage ... it's funny cause under my lease agreement I have to a minimum number of km's .. no maximum.

- XTC206 -

Nina said:
Firstly, I would like to say hello to everyone!!

Ok now with my query...

Does anyone know how to disconnect the speedometer on a 2003 Clio, so that my mileage doesn't climb? I know it isn't the right thing to do, but I'm having a bit of a problem (y'see I got the car on hired purchase and am retricted to 10,000 miles for a year) Damn contracts! :deal:

I look forward to hearing from someone - and I will be eternally grateful if someone can help me!!!

Nina x
I also have never heard of such contracts restricting the distance traveled on hired purchase, unless this is a restriction imposed from the company you work for, whom have agreed to buy you that car?
I some how don't think disconecting the speedometer would do anything to stop the thing recording mileage, not to mention you will never know how fast you are going etc etc. There are defiantly places you can go to have your odometer rewinded ofcourse! Bigboyz toys in sydney is one such place, where they rewind all their imported cars!
But really, its not worth it, if someone finds out, you'll be in big trouble and in a modern car with all of them electronic gegismo, it isn't hard to see if you have tempered with something.

Set limit contracts are common, last one I had required me to park the car on the side of the road and have it collected by a tray truck rather than exceed the contracted amount, from memory the penalty was $3- 5000. :mad: Always returned at least 100km short to be sure. :deal:
NO idea how to tamper with the Clio :confused:

XTC206 said:
..........snip..........

Never heard of a contract that limits mileage ... it's funny cause under my lease agreement I have to a minimum number of km's .. no maximum.

- XTC206 -

Under your lease agreement you probably have a novated lease. In this case you lease a vehicle, most likely through salary sacrifice, which means your employer pays your lease repayments out of your pre-tax salary. Quite a while ago the tax department cottoned onto this and started charging the employer a thing called Fringe Benefits Tax as you were receiving a benefit from your employer. The tax department tried to scale the tax so that genuine 'reps on the road' type people weren't too heavily taxed, whilst people getting a car due to stature were more heavily taxed. Your employer is kind enough to pass the tax onto you, hence your requirement to travel 'a minimum number of km's' per year.

Hence if you travel 25001k's per year you pay less per km tax than if you travel 15001k's per year etc etc.

Hire purchase can be quite different........

if u do find a way of disconecting the speedo , surely you can get a rough idea of your speed by the revs your pulling in each gear. Spend 30 mins before you disconnect the speedo and write down what rpm in each gear 60, 70, 80, 100 kph are etc and then just slow down a bit when going past a speed camera and you should be fine i would think.

jensen

Jensen said:
if u do find a way of disconecting the speedo , surely you can get a rough idea of your speed by the revs your pulling in each gear. Spend 30 mins before you disconnect the speedo and write down what rpm in each gear 60, 70, 80, 100 kph are etc and then just slow down a bit when going past a speed camera and you should be fine i would think.

jensen

You must be mad, this is the most iresponsible bit of advice I have ever seen anywhere. Let alone highly illegal.

storms_of_fate said:
You must be mad, this is the most iresponsible bit of advice I have ever seen anywhere. Let alone highly illegal.
Yep not legal, but still possible. We used to disconnect the speedo in the rally car .. that way the driver never knew how fast he was actually going .. took the fear factor out of it ... it's quite a shock when you look down and see 160km+ on the sppedo and your on a WA gravel road - you tend to back off. (call it self preservation :)

- XTC206 -

XTC206 said:
Yep not legal, but still possible. We used to disconnect the speedo in the rally car .. that way the driver never knew how fast he was actually going .. took the fear factor out of it ... it's quite a shock when you look down and see 160km+ on the sppedo and your on a WA gravel road - you tend to back off. (call it self preservation :)

- XTC206 -
That i can understand, and see perfectly why. But not on a road car, used to drive on a public road. Its possible, but i don't think its very safe to try and remember and fetch such data in your head when you drive. It isn't that simple either, for eg. in 3rd and 4th gear it is possible to drive the car from 60 - 110. that is some 10 diferent combinations of rev and speed you have to rememebr for 2 of 5 gears. And that's just the whole numbers, i.e. 60, 70, 80 etc.
I am no way your speed obeying citizen all the time, and I'm sure we all like to have a bit of a fang every now and then. But jesus, disconecting the speedo, people need to go back and learn some basic road safty dos and donts!
People don't crash because they're speeding, people crash and die because they dont' know their car's capabilities, and they don't know their own capabilities. Taking instruments that help the driver to determin such capabilites away, to me is a display of lunacy. Sorry, but it is.

Easy - install a Halda. That way you can disconnect the car speedo, and still have an instant digital display of your road speed at the same time! :D

storms_of_fate said:
That i can understand, and see perfectly why. But not on a road car, used to drive on a public road. Its possible, but i don't think its very safe to try and remember and fetch such data in your head when you drive. It isn't that simple either, for eg. in 3rd and 4th gear it is possible to drive the car from 60 - 110. that is some 10 diferent combinations of rev and speed you have to rememebr for 2 of 5 gears. And that's just the whole numbers, i.e. 60, 70, 80 etc.
I am no way your speed obeying citizen all the time, and I'm sure we all like to have a bit of a fang every now and then. But jesus, disconecting the speedo, people need to go back and learn some basic road safty dos and donts!
People don't crash because they're speeding, people crash and die because they dont' know their car's capabilities, and they don't know their own capabilities. Taking instruments that help the driver to determin such capabilites away, to me is a display of lunacy. Sorry, but it is.

I'm with Karl. Just don't do it.

JohnW