Mystery front end knock (clunk) 306

Gearbox or top mount, 306 top mounts are notorious for cracking

Hi everybody
I had a knock in the front end too. I replaced everything in the suspension but was still there. Engine and gearbox mounts looked ok to me. I eventually took it to Alpine Affair and they found that the gearbox mount had cracked. It’s a common problem. They welded a big washer in to fix it.
It fixed the knock! Definitely check this out. It drove me crazy for ages.

Now though I have another that happens over bumps. Sounds like something is lose. Argh!!!!
I'll definitely get the gearbox mount checked. Engine mount - I've been assured it's OK but I'm going to get it inspected again at the end of the month - will fully remove the mount to clear look at everything.

Firmer, more direct and stiffer all round, still handle speed bumps very well. Good thing to do, it lowered the front considerably which is a pain to get the jack under now, small issue. So struts, sway bar and rear end. Dimensionally identical.
Wish I'd known this before putting in the new OEM struts. The front end of the car could do with being lower but I am reluctant to use the eibach lowering springs. Have done that in the past with zero benefit.

That's the great thing about the standard GTi6 suspension setup. Firm, controlled AND compliant. Perfect !

Cheers

Justin

I'll definitely get the gearbox mount checked. Engine mount - I've been assured it's OK but I'm going to get it inspected again at the end of the month - will fully remove the mount to clear look at everything.
Sounds like you rely on others to check things. That is a guarantee you will have to take someone else's word for it, which means in reality you will never know anything for sure.

That's the great thing about the standard GTi6 suspension setup. Firm, controlled AND compliant. Perfect !

Cheers

Justin
Actually - that's a good point. Isn't the Phase 3 XSi suspension the same as GTi6?

Sounds like you rely on others to check things. That is a guarantee you will have to take someone else's word for it, which means in reality you will never know anything for sure.
Unfortunately mate, 2 young kids means that my time under a car is limited, and currently have no locking garage so my tools are locked away at the mother in laws. I inspect what I can but have to trust my local mechanic. Nothing wrong with helping a good local business either!

True, I get it. But I don't think you need to get under the car much. I still think you did not do a proper "cold" (car at rest) test and a drive test. That should yield at lest some results to help you either get closer or at least cross some things off the list. There's not that many things that move in a car.

Actually - that's a good point. Isn't the Phase 3 XSi suspension the same as GTi6?

Same as GTi6 same as xsara vts, same as my car! 2002 convertible. I'd be removing and checking both, the upper top mount has to be removed to see the issue., not simple with the engine in the car nor is the gearbox mount, buffers need to do their job otherwise movement in the mount which cracks the body work around the captive nut.

Every single 2.0l 306 will have the body crack where the top engine mount attaches. Fix is simple and requires welding in a plate at the base of the mounting point. Nothing to worry about.

Cheers

Justin

Same as GTi6 same as xsara vts, same as my car! 2002 convertible. I'd be removing and checking both, the upper top mount has to be removed to see the issue., not simple with the engine in the car nor is the gearbox mount, buffers need to do their job otherwise movement in the mount which cracks the body work around the captive nut.
I've never done it, but if I was going to my approach would be to get an engine crane to support the engine weight. Undo the mount, remove and inspect, then weld. Correct?

Gearbox mount, where is that located?

Every single 2.0l 306 will have the body crack where the top engine mount attaches. Fix is simple and requires welding in a plate at the base of the mounting point. Nothing to worry about.

Cheers

Justin
You are right, my 1.8 style did it. My original XSi cracked at 48000 Kay's, and the GTi6 I had was already welded up. Funny thing is, they never made these sounds! The engine would buck when you lift off and you could feel it move under braking. But never noises.

Gearbox is on the opposite side under the battery etc, bugger to get to. Top is easy in comparison. So battery out, battery box / cover etc ecu etc its under there.

Fortunatel;y my convertible is the exception to all of this. So far.

If a 306 is similar to a Berlingo, I had a knocking sound as well, changed the drop links, top shock bearings, etc no change.
But in the end it was the sway bar bushes that was the problem.
I also discovered that there are 21, 22 and 23 mm dia sway bars.
I measured mine and it was 21mm, and the only place I could get this size bush was from a supplier in Lithuania via eBay.
When I swapped out the old ones, they were marked 22mm, the 21mm ones went in no problem and no more clunking.
My 2c worth.

If a 306 is similar to a Berlingo, I had a knocking sound as well, changed the drop links, top shock bearings, etc no change.
But in the end it was the sway bar bushes that was the problem.
I also discovered that there are 21, 22 and 23 mm dia sway bars.
I measured mine and it was 21mm, and the only place I could get this size bush was from a supplier in Lithuania via eBay.
When I swapped out the old ones, they were marked 22mm, the 21mm ones went in no problem and no more clunking.
My 2c worth.
PS. The ones from OS were $33 delivered and came in 10 days, Citroen dealer quoted $111.00 and a three month wait as there were zero stock in AU.