Mystery car

Seriously, I was actually thinking it was just a VW kit based on the late model superbug...

The wheels look like an early Porsche 924 rim and the rear side windows look like a bugs...

what the hell is it.........?

I m really curious as to what this car is all about.....Yes its but ugly....What is the story though?

Some clues are obvious.....yes they definitely look like lancia beta rear lights (I had one).....the rest is a total mess....
It appears to be right hand drive (maybe the aussie supposition).....appears to be rear engined (esp considering minimal front inlet and rear vents)
Wheels look Italian but am not sure.....Identifying these would go a long way in identifying the platform......
So what the hell is it......Rear engined, right hand driven, lancia lights, bodywork that errs back to late 60s early seventies prottypes yet glass work and surrounding thin framework is late seventies......

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicleListing/vl/C_5/default.aspx

I searched most of this site....but came back empty handed............

I d say............one of the many possible conclusions is that it was a home made jobbie on a rear engined platform like fiat(850??)maybe (beetle???seems a little long, not sure??)......But that still doesnt explain the windscreen, doors and that awfull bonnet and guards............They are very simple in their design, which might point to the fact that they are also home made (ease of construction)......
The other possibility is that infact it was just an engine/chassis testing mock up designed to completely fool the media.....hell....could be a porsche or fewrrari under the skin....one can never know without popping the bonnet and having a good look at the finer details.......Im having trouble identifying the door handles let alone the platform.............

interesting nevertheless......

cheers

dino

:cheers:

Last edited:
This fugly mystery car is surely a one-off cobbled up by a demented home panel beater in England, circa 1975.

It's likely to be VW-based - no front air intake is a big clue all the "it's a Ford" or "it's a Lancia" etc desk experts have missed. Too big to be a rear engine Fiat, Renault, NSU or similar. I'd guess there's what was once a humble VW Type 3 underneath it - or just maybe a Skoda. Vents at the back and opening glass are further clues.

I think Simon from WA is right about the early BMW E3 tail-lights. The rear guards may look a bit Triumphy, but are not.

There's nothing production oriented about this pig of a car. Not even kit-car. Don't offend French car designers by suggesting it's a prototype Citroen, Panhard or anything else. In fact, don't offend any car designer anywhere, by suggesting it's anything other than one very, very tasteless man's idea of something stylish.

There. That's my 20 cents worth!

PB

......hmmm.....there is ofcourse the Karmann Ghia.....I reckon one could easily turn one of those coupes (even convertibles) into the above freak-show.....hmmmm

dino

dino said:
......hmmm.....there is ofcourse the Karmann Ghia.....I reckon one could easily turn one of those coupes (even convertibles) into the above freak-show.....hmmmm

dino

Yes, but why ?

:confused: :disappr:

Yes, but why ?

There are many reasons.....all having to do something with the mental state of a
person as is exemplified by the above monstrosity........
I didn t mean to offend the karman ghia....I think they are a very classy car from a certain perspective ....I only mentioned it because the above mostrosity has identical wheel arches (style, shape etc).....I m almost convinced that this car is an early convertible,....hence....the door looks like a match, windscreen looks right 2.....rear quarter window could have been added from a beetle or something similar.........did the early ghia convertibles have a glass side rear window???

cheers

dino

I sure would like to know the final outcome......

I sure would like to know the final outcome......[/QUOTE- dino]

I have already pm'd Barrymung (the guy that first posted this story ) to make sure he posts the outcome of this enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Last edited:
cabbage tree said:
I sure would like to know the final outcome......[/QUOTE- dino]

I have already pm'd Barrymung (the guy that first posted this story ) to make sure he posts the outcome of this enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

I'd say we will all have to wait with baited breath until the next column which it says will be February 4th.

My guess is that it is a backyard mish-mash & we can only all hope it was a one off! :)

saw it at a motorshow

Guys, I can't garantee the following information but I think I saw that or something similar at the paris motorshow in 1968, yes I was a teenager then,
and it's the year the D model was showing off its turning headlights.
I am not sure but I remember spending a long time at the 'GLAS' stand,
and I may have seen this thing there. It may be an early 'GLAS' prototype for a coupe.

wrong

Okay it's not a 'GLAS' it's a 'SOKOL", but hey they seem a lot alike.
Anyone rembers the GLAS ? Anyone?...... please.

I was right about it being rear engined :D And Russia is not that far from Czechoslovakia ...

mistareno said:
...I was actually thinking it was just a VW kit based on the late model superbug...

The wheels look like an early Porsche 924 rim and the rear side windows look like a bugs...

I was also pretty close with the origins...

Turns out it was even more DIY than a kit...

harrisson_citroen said:
Okay it's not a 'GLAS' it's a 'SOKOL", but hey they seem a lot alike.
Anyone rembers the GLAS ? Anyone?...... please.

Of course I remember. I suppose you'd have to be European and perhaps a bit older................:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Lovely cars (from the Goggomobil works), eventually taken over by BMW. see also:-
http://www.glasclub.org/publ_en/zent.htm

wouter said:
Of course I remember. I suppose you'd have to be European and perhaps a bit older................:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Lovely cars (from the Goggomobil works), eventually taken over by BMW. see also:-
http://www.glasclub.org/publ_en/zent.htm

thanks for that link, good site actually.
Yep I remember the Glas when it was featured at the Paris car show the same year as the D model featured the new front.
I thought the car pictured above in this thread looked a bit like a GLAS, but I can't find anything similar in the galleries, so that proves me wrong.