my16 307headlghts come on an random when switched off and engine running

karlreed43

Tadpole
Hi I know that this has been discussed before, but, I thought I'd start a gain since time has passed.
My 2006 1.6HDI Wagon has, for some time now, switched its head lights on randomly as follows:-

CASE A.
A1. Head lights OFF at head light switch =TRUE
AND
A2. Engine running =TRUE
RESULT headlights operate randomly.
HIGHBEAM in flash mode only.

However, if the engine isn't running...
CASE B.
A1. Head lights OFF at head light switch =TRUE
AND
A2. Engine running =FALSE
RESULT headlights DO NOT operate.
HIGHBEAM in flash mode only.
Otherwise the headlights work ok.
I have been told it is necessary to replace the headlight switch assembly on the steering wheel column, however, repairers are not guaranteeing this will fix the problem.

Of course, if I could pick up a DC signal from the head light switch when it is on, then it would be trivial to set up a circuit which operate only when the headlight switch was on.
However, noone seems to know if this is possible.

I'm keen to hear from anyone who has actually had this problem rectified.

Karl

Last edited:
You may strike issues as the canbus system measures the current going to bulbs, to put in a relay would confuse it somewhat, unless the input impedance of the relay etc matched a bulb allowing the ecu monitoring them to believe a bulb was present, it will have a low tolerance as any 407 owner like myself will attest, if its not a fog lamp fault, its a sidelamp issue.

Not impossible.

Pretty sure you have a faulty comm2000 unit.

I had a very similar issue with a 206 GTi - picked up a replacement unit from the wreckers and all resolved.