My Xsara now uses regular ULP

PeterT said:
You're probably referring to the XU9JAZ. My Xantia has the XU10J2 which definitely has a knock sensor. With 10.4:1 it definitely needs 95 RON minimum (as stated on the sticker under the bonnet) and pings on 91.

Even being an auto, it regularly returns 41 mpg at a steady 110 km/h when using 98 RON.

Interesting, I'm going to have a search and see if I can find a knock sender on it (my reasoning being, why are you guys getting pinging if there's a knock sensor :confused: ).

Either way, I'm going to average the next few tanks of ULP (I've never heard it ping), then run a few tanks of Optimax to see if I can find a difference.

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Where is the announcement.... That sounds most unlike a fuel company. After all what are they going to do with there PULP bowsers now (PULP being different to Optimax).

seeya,
Shane L.

I don't know with you guys, but here in Geelong (where Shell's major Refinery is) there's no more 91 ULP, there's no more PULP and there's no more LRP too. Been at the station yesterday, there's only regular 95 ULP and 98 Optimax (plus of course diesel and gas). Checked the price of the 95 ULP, it's the same as the 91 RON from other brands. I don't know, maybe it's a state to state case, but I'm glad I can get 95 ULP at the 91 ULP price, and my Xsara does'nt mind the 95 RON, no dramas after 2 full tanks.

Sounds like your getting a good deal down there. Up here in Qld we seem to still have 91, 95, 98 with their respective pricing.

All of our cars run on either optimax or ultimate - our day to day cars run optimax - milage seems to be the best, and my GT runs on ultimate as its the only fuel that can keep the pinging away.

Dave

Dave said:
Sounds like your getting a good deal down there. Up here in Qld we seem to still have 91, 95, 98 with their respective pricing.

All of our cars run on either optimax or ultimate - our day to day cars run optimax - milage seems to be the best, and my GT runs on ultimate as its the only fuel that can keep the pinging away.

Dave

I understand that when the stock of the 91 ULP is exhausted, Shell will only be selling 95 and 98. Wait until August if what I heard is right.

With my Xsara, there no huge difference in mileage. Maybe I get 3% less kms per li but I pay 10% cheaper for 95ULP. It's still a net 7% savings.

DoubleChevron said:
Interesting, I'm going to have a search and see if I can find a knock sender on it (my reasoning being, why are you guys getting pinging if there's a knock sensor :confused: ).
QUOTE]

There's only so much a knock sensor can do. Once it's out of range the engine will ping.

It will be interesting to see the results of your tests.

We still have 91, 95 and 98 in Sydney, priced accordingly.

My newish C3 always pings and has always in its life been run on PULP. I think its a just a trait of modern throwaway engines......:cry: :nownow:

Up until recently I have been driving a small jap car for work, and used to get 400km a tank on ulp, sometimes more, then suddenly the ditance dropped to 300 to 350k per tank, i thought there was something wrong sop changed the points,, but no change. Then one day i went to fill up, but the servo had run outm of ulp, the very day that they started 95, so I filled up on 95, and immediately got over 400k on the tank.

My theory is that the petrol co has down spec the ulp to try to get everyone to buy 95.

This was confirmed recently when i got my early ID safari out of hibernation. It had a load of petrol that had been sitting in the tank for 18months or so, optimax from memory, I refilled with 91 last week, and the car was pinging, it never did that previously even on ulp.

I know that fuel varies from batch to batch, but I really don't trust the fuel co's.

Has anyone else noticed that ulp takes longer to fill then PULP ?

petermelb said:
It had a load of petrol that had been sitting in the tank for 18months or so, optimax from memory

Did you know Optimax has a shelf life of only two weeks? It would have been well and truely OFF if 18 months old. 91 lasts far longer, but not as long as the good old leaded fuel.

petermelb said:
Has anyone else noticed that ulp takes longer to fill then PULP ?

Must be all those extra octanes flowing through the pump:roflmao:. Perhaps they slow the pump down to make us think we are getting better value for money!:rolleyes:

PeterT said:
It definitely needs 95 RON minimum (as stated on the sticker under the bonnet) and pings on 91.
Just like mine.
I think that Mobil has a policy of keeping PULP within 5 cents per litre of ULP.