My Toad Pond has disappeared ??

The demise of the pond and the many threads that have been of value to members and consider those good threads could in some ways save lives as others read the stories disclosed by other members and pick up on medical conditions and symptoms that could be fatal if the person doesn't seek medical attention, those worthwhile and helpful threads should survive.

One of those that deserves to be kept is the one that a member started on Parkinsons, and several members contributed their own personal stories. Many of us have personal knowledge and are aware of this nest of human suffering right through to similar conditions like MND.

ALL should think about this, or at least perhaps consider putting themselves in the place of sufferers and dunking themselves in ice cubes like some have done in the last few days. Might cool everyone down including those that "pulled the trigger" and didn't think those things through responsibly.

Sad if one learns of a new treatment and can't pass on information - the pond was useful and respected by some.

Owners and admin, bear a huge responsibility, just as do others in the conduct of the forum.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
The demise of the pond and the many threads that have been of value to members and consider those good threads could in some ways save lives as others read the stories disclosed by other members and pick up on medical conditions and symptoms that could be fatal if the person doesn't seek medical attention, those worthwhile and helpful threads should survive.

One of those that deserves to be kept is the one that a member started on Parkinsons, and several members contributed their own personal stories. Many of us have personal knowledge and are aware of this nest of human suffering right through to similar conditions like MND.

ALL should think about this, or at least perhaps consider putting themselves in the place of sufferers and dunking themselves in ice cubes like some have done in the last few days. Might cool everyone down including those that "pulled the trigger" and didn't think those things through responsibly.

Sad if one learns of a new treatment and can't pass on information - the pond was useful and respected by some.

Owners and admin, bear a huge responsibility, just as do others in the conduct of the forum.

Ken
Ken and others,
Please try to stay on topic, this thread is about the future of the forum.

The pond is intact, and can be re-instated. The intent was to close the pond to new replies/topics. The forum software doesn't appear to allow that so for the time being it is no longer available.

The decision wasn't taken lightly, it was considered after the increased frequency of reported posts and messages of complaint.

I hope no one relied on the pond for medical advice or breakthroughs, that is not the responsibility of a French car forum and can be quite dangerous.

Let's not muddy this thread, contact me via PM to discuss further

Last edited:

One of those that deserves to be kept is the one that Kaye started on Parkinsons, and several members contributed their own personal stories. Many of us have personal knowledge and are aware of this nest of human suffering right through to similar conditions like MND.

Ken
Hi Ken :rolleyes:
I respectfully disagree. I go onto a few forums and I go on a car forum, my favourite Aussie Frogs, for car stuff and entertainment. If I wanted medical information I go and look at reputable sites that I trust and indeed have done so often. ;)
I find that the medical references on the Pond were biased and always pushing some personal barrow that irritated me, and I avoided them 'like the plague'. Sorry to tell you that but also I saw that the respondents usually stirred up others which lead to acrimony and shut down. Pleased to see them gone really !:mad:
Jaahn

I for one would be happy to never see the toad pond return.
One exception would be a place to allow discussion of non-French CARS. Recently for example I noticed a picture of an NSU in the background of a photo of a Renault, I asked questions of the person who posted the photo, result was a bit of to and fro about NSUs and the OP objected. I should have asked the question in toad pond, then there would have been no conflict. So having the toad pond available for that sort of thing would be good.
But recently the toad pond has been full of pointless tit for tat arguments, really quite nasty. People who have come together to share a love of French cars should respect that other people with the same interest will inevitably have differing opinions on unrelated topics, and this website is NOT a place to attack each other, call names, misquote, inflame, sneer, and so on. I am firmly on one side some of these debates, but I observe that behaviour on BOTH sides of these arguments has been nasty, childish, inappropriate. Moderating these digital punch-ups is a pain in the arse for moderators, no wonder the future of toad pond (and AF) is in doubt.
I'll get off my soap box now.

I'm a member of another online group that is a one-man-owned website. (Vintage appliance collectors.) It has free access to its main forums, but subscribers get access to more information, plus two different "off-topic" forums, private messages, classified ads, free from on-page ads, plus other benefits I don't remember. Subscription is US$12 per year. When you subscribe you can also add a donation. Might be a useful model?

Surprised some are pleased to see the Pond deleted because it annoyed them? How? Perhaps they could explain if it is by some super natural or telepathic interference that makes them read threads they are not interested in???? Are these powers making them click onto the Pond???
Or is it just that they are annoyed because not everyone is singing from the same (their) song sheet and not having or can't be bothered to elucidate the less enlightened posters?

Surprised some are pleased to see the Pond deleted because it annoyed them? How? Perhaps they could explain if it is by some super natural or telepathic interference that makes them read threads they are not interested in???? Are these powers making them click onto the Pond???
Or is it just that they are annoyed because not everyone is singing from the same (their) song sheet and not having or can't be bothered to elucidate the less enlightened posters?
I'm not surprised you posted in 'The Future of Aussiefrogs'. . .

You'd be unfamiliar with the forum proper as you would rarely see or read posts other than in the pond.
https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/i...nd-has-disappeared.143444/page-2#post-1713222

Perhaps they could explain if it is by some super natural or telepathic interference that makes them read threads they are not interested in???? Are these powers making them click onto the Pond???
Wow that's a bit bitchy. It's the sort of stuff I was referring to. Let me clarify:
I have found plenty of interesting stuff in the toad pond. I don't mind reading it. I'm not ASKING for it to be quashed. But it's not what Aussiefrogs was created for, and in my opinion it has deteriorated in recent months. Some discussions of topics I am very interested in, like electric cars, solar power, among others, have become really nasty, bitchy personal attacks with almost nothing of substance. I still take a look because I am interested in the topic, but I get disillusioned because it all gets too nasty. Not because people express opinions I don't agree with, I'm fine with that, but because it gets so vitriolic. And I maintain that the nastiness is from both sides of an argument, both people whose opinion on the issue I fully support and those I disagree with. BOTH sides have been really rude and there is no need for it.

It is possible discuss an issue without resorting to sneering sarcasm.

Yeah, maybe. Maybe if we had a system like other forums where you get a warning or two and then you're out for a month or so. At least we would have a vitriol free month.

I personally liked the toad pond. It gave me a chance to see what people were made of.

Last edited:
And that, I suggest, is the very reason it was taken away.

Aussiefrogs is supposed to be a community, not an arena for battle.

Roger
Very observant, Roger! We all live in a community in which there are dozens of different political parties. The opposite is totalitarianism.
As Mark Twain so eloquently expressed: "It is not best that we should all think alike; it is a difference of opinion that makes horse races."

... It is possible discuss an issue without resorting to sneering sarcasm.
Apparently not, as has been amply demonstrated over a protracted period. It's not a determining factor regarding the future of Aussiefrogs though.

Very observant, Roger! We all live in a community in which there are dozens of different political parties. The opposite is totalitarianism.
As Mark Twain so eloquently expressed: "It is not best that we should all think alike; it is a difference of opinion that makes horse races."
Too funny from a 'tolerant' individual such as yourself. Some of those expelled from the pond really do have zero self-awareness.

Apparently not, as has been amply demonstrated over a protracted period. It's not a determining factor regarding the future of Aussiefrogs though.

Too funny from a 'tolerant' individual such as yourself. Some of those expelled from the pond really do have zero self-awareness.

I'm not a supporter of totalitarian regimes. Neither am I a "Fixated Person". I am however happy to discuss any topic you like with yourself
or anyone else, including French cars, spare parts, energy sources, and anything else dear to your heart, whether you disagree with me or not.

Reactions: IWS
Quality and character of moderators is key.
I don't agree.
The uncalled for personal animosity & sheer nastiness a few exhibited towards others in the Pond had nothing to do with any moderator being key.
It does have to do with the person thinking such behaviour is acceptable practice, when it absolutely isn't!

I don't agree.
The uncalled for personal animosity & sheer nastiness a few exhibited towards others in the Pond had nothing to do with any moderator being key.
It does have to do with the person thinking such behaviour is acceptable practice, when it absolutely isn't!
There has been a history of poor moderation where they are part of the bickering and create problems. It feeds the “culture” as it were. That obviously isn’t going to work…

Anyway, that’s all been discussed before and it was clear the forum owners were happy for that situation to continue.

Cant say it bothered me. I’m still highly amused that anyone actually uses the report a post button on a bloody car forum :)

"To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater."

Bono

One of the reasons why it may help owners to have trustees acting in good faith to ensure or help in avoiding the very speculation that is shown in those comments - we put trust in the forum, trust in the moderation. trust in the decision making to be even handed, Ultimately that maybe subject to a legal test or burden and the operational structure needs to ensure that contingency is met and any liability contained.

It is also very important to protect and support those volunteers who serve in those positions from unjust interference or allegations that these days get bandied about on social media.

I received an email from an interested member who is resigned to the idea that A/F cannot survive...but who knows, most who have been here for many years would like to at least hope there will be a reprieve and the entity will continue and grow in popularity.

Wait and see is all we can do and be prepared to contribute in some way!

And that, I suggest, is the very reason it was taken away.

Aussiefrogs is supposed to be a community, not an arena for battle.

Roger
Quite possible, but I don't argue either for or against having the pond. I just found some function for it. Nor do I think you need to do battle to know each other.

And I don't think you can have a community before people know what each other are made of. Which is why most forums even though functional, interesting, efficient, etc. are not communities, something that I think contributed to Aussiefrogs being more successful than most.

Last edited:
It sounds like there is good progress happening in the background for the future of the forum.

All the talk of the Toad pond, why not try out the discord so we can keep this thread clear for real updates. We can always create a few sub channels for people to talk about specific themes.

The Toad Pond Chat group