My thoughts on my 306 GTi-6!

St170 was sold here.
The designer of the focus, who I believe was German, was poached to ford and was quoted somewhere stating “I was 5 205 Gtis in the front carpark Monday and want to know why and how they are so good. Lets work out what it does well and refine it” The St170 is a great car, the RS of that model was also quite special.

Lucky you. The go cart handling comes from the passive rear wheel steer. If you go into a corner too hot don't lift off or you will snap oversteer. Feed the front wheels more power and pull on thru. ( Disclaimer... I am not a race car driver, feel free to ignore )

I've never really understood the passive rear wheel steering. If you pull it apart, it's identical to a 205.

It's just deflection in the rear bushings right? The "rear steer" is more side effect than intentional as I understand

I consulted a text on steering and went through the geometry. The deflections of the rear bushes slightly angle the wheels under turning forces. (Is it inwards or outwards?) This can be allowed for.

If in, the Ackerman steering arm angles up front may be altered a little to bring the turning centre backwards to meet the rotated rear wheel axes to produce 4 wheel steering. In other words it doesn't turn at speed centred on a line through the rear hubs' stationary position. If outwards deflection occurs the centre can be moved forward. Perhaps Mr Peugeot did something on these lines. The compromised front angle would be out slightly for slow turns.

Last edited:
I've never really understood the passive rear wheel steering. If you pull it apart, it's identical to a 205.
Always made me wonder too.
BakerBM Grp Say to fit solid rear mounts to reduce 205 "Passive steer".
Was it a Peugeot advertising gimmick on the 306?
Though I consider 306s steer better than 205s!

St170 was sold here.
The designer of the focus, who I believe was German, was poached to ford and was quoted somewhere stating “I was 5 205 Gtis in the front carpark Monday and want to know why and how they are so good. Lets work out what it does well and refine it” The St170 is a great car, the RS of that model was also quite special.

Yeap, I found some info, it was sold here. 100 of them out of a total production of less than 11k.

And again, that was in 2002, so at the end of production for the GTI6 hence it wasn't really an option to consider when buying a new GTI6.

So the comparison is only academic. That was my point.

As for passive steering (it has become a feature in the world of R/C too some years ago) the way I understand it is that the car is basically "crabbing" into the corners using the suspension deflection to add/take away some toe in at the rear.

Last edited:
Mmmmm N5GTi6 !

GTi6-front-quarter.jpg

I owned my '99 for 13 years from new - what a great experience. Longest I've ever owned a car. The direct Golf competitor at the time was the '4' unfortunately, and it was rubbish. Turbo engine that only delivered 110kW, really bad axle tramp, and dreadful build quality. The Golf 5 certainly picked the pace up when it came out a few years later.

You'll find that new trim clips will fix the loose door trim. With the windows check that the clip on the rear edge is still in place and not broken and sliding in the track smoothly. If you wind the window half way down and can push it forward the clip is most likely broken and requires replacement. Check the air-bag connection plug under the seat - on both seats. All niggles are easily fixed.

Cheers

Justin

All this Gti6 chat is making me want one again.

The red one I had briefly was modified. Apart from the engine and quiafe LSD it had had work done to the rear beam and I believe had solid mounts. You could notice that it wasn't as nimble in the slower tighter corners. The flipside was that it didn't feel as ready to spin as the speeds increased so I imagine this mod is quite useful for track work. On the road I'd rather have the standard setup. My current XSi is stock and has that classic and hilarious handling. Turn in hard, stay on the throttle and the back end just tucks in and follows around. Very grin inducing when you can feel the rotation happening.