My thoughts on my 306 GTi-6!

Daelin Lis

Tadpole
Hi all, I am 20 years old, and I am based in Brisbane, Queensland and you may recall my post a few weeks back about my “brand new condition, 54,000km” 306 GTI-6” (yes, what a posey and pretentious statement). After about 2 months of owning the car I thought I’d do a write up about it.

Disclaimer: As I am only 20 years old I have limited experience (both with life and driving) so you can rake everything I say with a pinch of salt. The car is actually older than me!

I had been on the lookout for a 306 GTi-6 for about 2 years now, but the interest in these cars started in 2011 (when I was only 11 years old), and in primary school. So after 10 years of interest and 2 years of searching, when a GTI-6 in this condition and with this mileage popped up for sale, I knew I had to have it.

The last 2 months with this car have been lovely, but I’m still getting used to it. It’s seats aren’t the best, it’s electric windows feel flimsy, it’s door trim falls off if you dare closing the doors too hard and the airbag light occasionally makes an appearance. But as soon as you stick the boot into it on a twisty back road, all those little niggles “go away”.

I was initially considering perhaps purchasing a MK5 Golf GTI if those issues bothered me. Don’t get me wrong, the GTI-6 is a rather refined car for its age, but it does feel “cheap” My grandfather owned one before swapping it for a new MK7 GTI, and as amazing as the MK5’s are as a “do it all allrounder” with German build quality to a very high standard, I don’t think it provides the same thrills as the older GTI-6 does.

Anyway, here’s the verdict so far:

The day to day:

Yes, the boring bits but I may as well cover them. Due to the mileage and condition of the car, I only use it as a weekend car. I still live at home with parents, but I’m lucky enough to have the garage. It stays there all week and comes out on weekends only. But as “normal driving” goes it has its ups and downs. As touched on above, it’s seats are firm. It’s dashboard is very utilitarian with no trip computer etc. but mechanically it’s very nice. It’s low-down torque and close ratio 6 speed box means you can “waft” the car along very effortlessly. Things like taking off from the lights, or cruising in a higher gear (I can be in 4th gear at 45km/h. You can also skip gears on the way up happily. And in 6th on the freeway, there’s plenty of torque that you don’t need to downshift passing slow traffic when you’re using the outside lane. It’s ride is on the firm side without being excessive, and at 54,000km there’s no squeaks or rattles. Everything’s still fresh.

The engine.

Even though the car is about steering and driver feel, the engine is actually my favourite thing about this car. The XU10J4RS is in my opinion Peugeot’s finest. I may go as far to say it’s one of the nicest non turbo, 2 litre 4 cylinder motors around. It has plenty of low down torque as I rambled on about above. It pulls with urgency down low (when passing traffic) and past 5,000rpm, has a lovely rush that remains linear and keeps on delivering up until the rev limiter. It sounds the part too. One of the very few engines in this class with the low-end torque and up-top pull. It’s magical. A 3rd gear (and a bit of 4th) pull out the back of Mt Mee demonstrated this perfectly. Let’s just not talk about what numbers the speedo was showing. Typical P plater!!!

The gearbox:

Another magical thing, but not too much to talk about. It’s gear shift is lovely; one of the nicest I’ve driven. It’s direct, slick and smooth but still with a mechanical feel to it. It’s close ratios really mean you can exploit and enjoy the engine more.

The steering:

Yes, maybe the only interesting part about this write up. I haven’t driven many cars seeing as I’ve only been on our roads for 4 years, but I’ve yet to drive a car with handling as good as this. Even my 80 year old grandfather’s new Golf GTI doesn’t quite cut it.

I’m running Bridgestone RE-003s on the car, and they’re the perfect tyre. The initial take up on the steering (off-centre sensitivity) is a little bit low, but once you “lean” into the steering everything changes. The car responds to your inputs with more lateral G-Force, and keeps begging for you to push harder. The steering is full of feedback and engagement, and the car can simply turn into corners at speeds I didn’t really think was possible. It’s sort of a “What corner?” philosophy. There’s no fuss, no under steer (to an extent obviously, but common sense dictates that) and no tyre noise. But due to the car’s lack of weight it feels incredibly “go-cart” and toylike, which is nice for a 20 year old mug like me. I see why it’s one of the all time greats.

Suspension and chassis:

The suspension is just as important as the steering. It’s wonderful. Very little body roll on the car, but that would be mainly down to the sway bars. It also handles bumps in the road very well, even when driving spiritedly. It doesn’t get unsettled easily which is very nice. It’s brilliantly set up.

And the chassis is a work of art. Jeremy Clarkson once said “someone deep in Peugeot’s engineering team understood chassis technology”, and how true it is. It’s such a beautifully balanced little car. The whole car pivots around you. The front end is simply gorgeous, and the passive rear steering really aids the car in corners. It is prone lift-off oversteer, but it only bites you if you’re being a fool and asking for it. Overall the benign nature and neutrality of the car chassis really proves Peugeot could do chassis tuning. It’s chassis is just as impressive as the steering, but the two work together hand-in-hand.

To finalise:

Sure, it may not be as refined as the brand new hot hatches of today, nor is it the most well built thing in terms of build quality, but what a marvellous thing it is. It’s a car that excites me. I look forward to taking it out all week while I’m at work, and on the rare occasion I have driven it to work, it leaves me longing with excitement for the commute home. And that’s exactly what a car should do. Spirited drives for me are shared by myself as I don’t have any other friends into cars, but that’s for the better as most car guys my age are trouble to be around. Cars like this are best enjoyed alone anyway.

Despite people saying things like “You’re young, you’ll neglect and trash this car” or “you’ll end up wrecking it” I am proud to say I will look after and cherish this thing as long as I own it. It is one of the nicest cars I’ve driven and I’m extremely lucky to own an example as nice as this one.

You don’t need things like Ferraris and Porsches to achieve driving pleasure, or modern cars with all the tech. The 306 GTI-6 comes from a time where simplicity was everything, and what followed was a car that was so simple, but yet so incredible, engaging and thrilling to drive.

The Peugeot 306 GTi-6 reminds us motoring enthusiasts exactly why we fell in love with driving in the first place.

Nice write up. But not nearly enough use of the word "quirky" - that seems to be mandatory when describing French Automobiles... ;)

Also sincerely hope you have done the timing belt

Awesome write up. Thanks for sharing. I was in your position when I was 20 with a very nice 205 gti. I managed to wreck it stupidly and its taken 20 years to replace it properly.
So glad your into the old skool french stuff, they really engineered these cars well.

Ps, Fit a set of Cams from Peter T, nice dollop more of power.

Hope you enjoy it for many years. Dare I say call me if you ever sell!

Cam

Cool, yes, it's not perfect....
but driving it does make you smile ,😁

Also sincerely hope you have done the timing belt
Thanks mate! Yes, even though it has only done 54k the timing belt had never been done. It has been serviced with oil, oil filter, air filter and spark plug changes though.

The timing belt has been done about 4 weeks ago.

Thanks for sharing mate, they are brilliant cars - particularly the engine as you pointed out.

re minor the niggles, just remember they’re a 20+ year old car now. Quite a bit older than the German cars you referenced.

In car age, the Gti6 is also a generation behind most other cars its age. Things like the equivalent ford focus were far more modern... But then no one waxes lyrically about those!

Glad to hear your 6 is being driven and cared for. They are brilliant, probably the peak of truly analogue hot hatches.

In car age, the Gti6 is also a generation behind most other cars its age. Things like the equivalent ford focus were far more modern... But then no one waxes lyrically about those!

Glad to hear your 6 is being driven and cared for. They are brilliant, probably the peak of truly analogue hot hatches.
More modern in what way? And which Focus? The first generation ST wasn't sold here (there were only a handful sold in RHD markets, mainly UK), and the rest were just mundane. The XR5 was launched much later and it was a bigger, heavier car (more powerful but turbo charged - a rather refined turbo I would say, quick but not on par with the 225 Megane RS of the time - also turbo even though on paper they had the same power). But this was happening in 2000-something. The 306GTI is a late nineties car and there was nothing of note back then around here (first gen Type-R Civic not sold here either). So if you want a FWD, NA hot hatch what do you have? Not to mention the 306GTI is the first (mass production) six speeder, five star safety rating, seriously good handling and great looks.

As for truly "analogue" hot hatches I would mention the Fiesta XR4, which is pretty much a 205GTI made in the mid-late 2000s. No gizmos, no turbo, no nada, just driver excitement. No back seat either, though they pretend they have one.

For our friend, if you came into french cars to look for quality plastics, you need to learn this expression: "plastique de merde". Sums it up. Upshot is that if it falls off and the car still runs you don't need it. Good for weight saving, makes your car lighter so it handles even better. Don't plan to do any work under the dash before you acquire a complete spare dash. Nothing you'll take off will go back on. Well seasoned owners of french cars from the eighties don't even talk about things like that anymore.

More modern in what way? And which Focus? The first generation ST wasn't sold here (there were only a handful sold in RHD markets, mainly UK), and the rest were just mundane. The XR5 was launched much later and it was a bigger, heavier car (more powerful but turbo charged - a rather refined turbo I would say, quick but not on par with the 225 Megane RS of the time - also turbo even though on paper they had the same power). But this was happening in 2000-something. The 306GTI is a late nineties car and there was nothing of note back then around here (first gen Type-R Civic not sold here either). So if you want a FWD, NA hot hatch what do you have? Not to mention the 306GTI is the first (mass production) six speeder, five star safety rating, seriously good handling and great looks.

As for truly "analogue" hot hatches I would mention the Fiesta XR4, which is pretty much a 205GTI made in the mid-late 2000s. No gizmos, no turbo, no nada, just driver excitement. No back seat either, though they pretend they have one.

For our friend, if you came into french cars to look for quality plastics, you need to learn this expression: "plastique de merde". Sums it up. Upshot is that if it falls off and the car still runs you don't need it. Good for weight saving, makes your car lighter so it handles even better. Don't plan to do any work under the dash before you acquire a complete spare dash. Nothing you'll take off will go back on. Well seasoned owners of french cars from the eighties don't even talk about things like that anymore.
You misunderstood my comment slightly. I was referring to the OPs remarks on niggles with the car. The 306 basic design was already old, the n5 was an improvement over the old n3, but not new and was probably designed in the 80's. Things like the original focus st170 were, in terms of design and construction, the next generation on. And, from memory of driving one, the focus st170 is one of the few fwd hatches that I would trade for my pug. Don't get me wrong, I love my Peugeots, in particular the 306 - I have had 4! And still keep an XSi running for my fun car.

In fact here's my XSi after a bath yesterday, still a beautiful little hatch

hmm, not sure what Ive done but attaching an image was hard...
IMG-20210420-WA0000.jpg

You misunderstood my comment slightly. I was referring to the OPs remarks on niggles with the car. The 306 basic design was already old, the n5 was an improvement over the old n3, but not new and was probably designed in the 80's. Things like the original focus st170 were, in terms of design and construction, the next generation on. And, from memory of driving one, the focus st170 is one of the few fwd hatches that I would trade for my pug. Don't get me wrong, I love my Peugeots, in particular the 306 - I have had 4! And still keep an XSi running for my fun car.
Possible, but I think I need something more specific than design and construction? Never seen a ST170 but I had a good drive or two and a good look at the XR4 (which is launched mid 2000s or so) and that was pretty much like the one in the Pug (you know what I mean - no VVT no nada, just a simple NA engine), not sure about something else hidden underneath, but the suspension was similar (I think the XR5 got the multilink, not sure about the XR4, etc). Based on that I am not sure I see how different (more evolved) something built a decade or so before (the ST170 you speak of) could be.

Possible, but I think I need something more specific than design and construction? Never seen a ST170 but I had a good drive or two and a good look at the XR4 (which is launched mid 2000s or so) and that was pretty much like the one in the Pug (you know what I mean - no VVT no nada, just a simple NA engine), not sure about something else hidden underneath, but the suspension was similar (I think the XR5 got the multilink, not sure about the XR4, etc). Based on that I am not sure I see how different (more evolved) something built a decade or so before (the ST170 you speak of) could be.
Ok, specifics - and just my opinion based on a vague memory bank of read articles.

The 306 platform can be traced back to the very early 90's - with components shared with models from the 80's (309, 205). The platform was used by Citroen in the ZX and then the xsara too. So the design and engineering would have been done in the dying days of the 80's.

The 306's NVH, ergonomics and design (and it's very good) are from that era.

The Focus on the other hand was a clean sheet design and launched in 2001/2 - so the design and engineering was done mid to late 90's.
It actually follows a similar theme to the 306. Good, direct steering, fluid and well controlled chassis - able to carry pace through corners while still remaining comfortable and enjoyable. Sound Familiar? But it brought innovation. Probably the first small car to bring "Control Blade" suspension to the rear. i.e. Multi-link rear end, not a torsion beam. It's NVH and ergonomics are better than the 306, the body shell is stiffer and I'd say it's structure would hold up better in a crash.

My personal experience started at an Aussiefrogs meet-up at the Oaks in Neutral Bay, around 2003? Had a short drive of a members new ST 170 - he'd swapped his GTi6 for one. Now, back then, the two cars were within a couple of years of each other but they felt light years apart. And indeed the drive of the ST 170 took all the great elements of the 6 and elevated them into a more modern package. I've since driven a few ST 170's and even owned a basic 05 Fiesta for a while. And they all displayed great driving characteristics while feeling newer than any 306 I'd had.

Now I still keep a 306 because of sentimental, inexplicable emotional reasons. There's no reason NOT to get one and enjoy it. But there are other options if your priorities are slightly different.

In fact right now I am searching for a replacement. I now have two young kids and safety is a concern when they are in the 306. What is the modern equivalent that doesn't have a tiny turbo engine or hideous styling and has the same grin inducing character of the 306. Hard to find.

Alright. I see. Yes, it is a more sophisticated rear suspension (even if in essence it is a double wishbone minus the double wishbone so to speak hence the need for the "Control Blade" - just another name for a control arm - nothing really that new). The good thing is that this multilink does give infinite adjustability, but everybody who has modified a 205GTI rear suspension (don't know about the 306) goes back to OEM because it is simply the best so no need to better it. As for the rest, I don't have comparison terms but assuming the 306 is a plushier version of the 205GTI, I would just say I have nothing to wish for.

NVH? Well, if that bothers you, a hot hatch is most likely to disappoint. Leaving SUVs and the likes aside and looking at the scale between a luxury limo to a hot hatch (the opposite ends of the scale in my mind) I reckon only dedicated track day cars or race cars for the road would be worse than the hot hatchback in the NVH department (with the oddball sports coupe where the engineers just got it wrong or crappy third world cars). Frenchies are not that bad in my opinion, but then again, my daily driver is a rattly old 205GTI. That said, it is not the car that offends (as in the bits that go and handle) but the added crap inside and out (ironically called "creature comforts") and ancillaries the car could very well function without were it not for road rules and legislation. But we all know french eighties cars are not exactly known for their workmanship or assembly quality. As far as engineering goes, I think it is hard to fault them. They really got it right and at their price point I don't think you'll find anything that competes. Mind you, the ST170 was never sold here as I mentioned before but if we were to include cars not sold here, I would hazard a guess a Type R would be a serious contender against both the Ford and the Pug if not better than both in every department.

Alright. I see. Yes, it is a more sophisticated rear suspension (even if in essence it is a double wishbone minus the double wishbone so to speak hence the need for the "Control Blade" - just another name for a control arm - nothing really that new). The good thing is that this multilink does give infinite adjustability, but everybody who has modified a 205GTI rear suspension (don't know about the 306) goes back to OEM because it is simply the best so no need to better it. As for the rest, I don't have comparison terms but assuming the 306 is a plushier version of the 205GTI, I would just say I have nothing to wish for.

NVH? Well, if that bothers you, a hot hatch is most likely to disappoint. Leaving SUVs and the likes aside and looking at the scale between a luxury limo to a hot hatch (the opposite ends of the scale in my mind) I reckon only dedicated track day cars or race cars for the road would be worse than the hot hatchback in the NVH department (with the oddball sports coupe where the engineers just got it wrong or crappy third world cars). Frenchies are not that bad in my opinion, but then again, my daily driver is a rattly old 205GTI. That said, it is not the car that offends (as in the bits that go and handle) but the added crap inside and out (ironically called "creature comforts") and ancillaries the car could very well function without were it not for road rules and legislation. But we all know french eighties cars are not exactly known for their workmanship or assembly quality. As far as engineering goes, I think it is hard to fault them. They really got it right and at their price point I don't think you'll find anything that competes. Mind you, the ST170 was never sold here as I mentioned before but if we were to include cars not sold here, I would hazard a guess a Type R would be a serious contender against both the Ford and the Pug if not better than both in every department.
Well, I dunno. Just expressing an opinion. But a fact is that the focus st 170 was indeed sold here. Assuming we are talking about Australialand.

Really? I looked it up and the internets say it wasn't, but info is confusing. Are you talking about the first generation Focus? Wiki sez it was introduced in 2002 so just as GTI6 went out of production. Maybe you could put up a link?