My S16 is not comming home :(

Wintermute

Fellow Frogger
Got the call from the insurance company yesterday. It's a writeoff. They didn't give me any options, but in reality I already have one car in the garage that is waiting for me to fix it (and has been for probably close on 20 years).

I'd owned it since Oct 1996.

I believe it is going to ACM Parts at Smearton Grange.

Car had done around 270,000KM engine was still good. Gearbox had been rebuilt by Adrian maybe 5 or so years ago, quaif fitted at the time. Near new DBA T2 slotted rotors on the front and near new EBC greenstuff pads (the proper ones for the S16). Bakerbm gear linkages, true dual branch stainless downpipe (rest of the exhaust could be better). Rears seats very good condition, front seats showing their age. Virbratechnics top mount and gearbox mount. Spoox solid alloy main pully.

The A/C compressor is toast. Hadn't got around to fixing that. Front gaurds are undamaged, doors ok too and rear hatch (new struts on the rear hatch too), rear bumper is ordinary. All glass is good, windscreen is original so very sandblasted. The A/C control unit is possibly on the way out, and The Bitron is suspect Had a resistor in series with the temp sender to make it cut in when it should. I have a spare Bitron that I bought from Latvia that I hadn't put in yet.

Anyway thought I'd give the details in case anyone is looking for parts. Good to know the history.

Pic of the damage attached. Feeling a bit down about it. Especially as it was my fault. For anyone who has been driving very little during this lockdown, don't assume you are ok to drive. Your attention may not be what it normally is! Be extra careful. I feel like that subconscious part of driving, the things you do without thinking had gone and in reality I needed to be thinking about things a lot more.

Tony.

Attachments

• 2020-05-28 09.23.17.jpg
    2020-05-28 09.23.17.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 173
What a sad bit of news. Sorry to see it go like that!

A bit heartless of the insurance company to offer you no options. People don't own a car for ~25 years without good reason.

That's a good list of upgrades and thoughtful maintenance you've got there. My seats front seats are showing their age too :roflmao: I hope that quaife box gets a new life.

Is the Morris the car in the garage? It'll enjoy the extra attention!

You can offer to buy it back. Let them give you the buy back amount.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Yes the Morris is the car in the garage! :) and yes, if I buy a newish car, then it shouldn't need any attention, and the Morris may actually get the attention it needs!

Oh I forgot the silicon upper radiator hoses as well, but I guess if someone gets the engine they'll get those with it.

Tony.

dcc236, they had already sent it to the wreckers I think when they rang to tell me. I'm not really in a position to fix it anyway. I know what I could see, but I don't know what other problems may be lurking underneath (subframe perhaps).

Tony.