My R12 POS Arrived!

Right. I would try to pull the bolt up as much as possible, superglue it in place and then cut it with a dremel as close as possible to flush in such a way that I can drill it at an angle. Not along the centre of the bolt. Give myself a flat face to drill into. That way I could use a normal drill. I would start with a small drill and enlarge until I hit the nut on one side. That should weaken the bolt enough to allow what's left of it to be hammered out. You might still have to enlarge the hole in the nut and tap it larger size. I suspect you'll have to go M8. Just go slowly when drilling so you don't break the drill in the bolt.

Either that way or enlarging the hole underneath and drilling along the bolt centre from there should take it out. From underneath should be more efficient but it's going to be very uncomfortable and you need the g'box out.

@dacia4x4 Sorry I just re read some of this and missed where you indicated "when you worked at reno..". Fancy me then showing pics of steering racks like it's exotic to see them without a car.

Thanks for offering your words of wisdom where you do :)

all good dan,yeah been out of my workshop for around 22years now so just trying to remember r12steering rack mounts, holes in cross member to access nuts at back of bolts. can, t remember whether was able to get spanner on them or not. just shedding tears of last lot of Renault's i got towed away for scrap 15years ago,75r12gl worn clutch only aaargh, r16ts auto factory sunroof slight rust l/f floor, 2xfuegos,boohoo.... jim

Well ignoring the steering rack for the moment, I had an afternoon to play springs.

These are annoying.

This was a real 2 hours for me, confess you had me all nervous. Here I was going slow checking the clamps after each groan in the suspension, then of course I nervously pulled the retainer rod from the upper control arm and expected everything to go "bing" but all I got was a thud and it fell and was stuck half way.

These are big springs, and this is even with ~2 coils already removed. Big as a chair and as long as an engine :p

Oh I nearly cocked up by running out of thread on the rods I had selected. Of course putting them on the springs in situ the spring was already somewhat compressed, but what about when I come to decompress... anyway I got lucky, there was enough thread for a gentle "PANG" as I got to the end of the rod. :p

But stuff putting these back on, will be investigating coil over sleeves for these Koni bodies.

Think of the weight I'll save, the coil over spring will no doubt be half the weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: COL
Well ignoring the steering rack for the moment, I had an afternoon to play springs.

[/URL][/URL]
[/URL][/URL]
[/URL][/URL]

These are annoying.

This was a real 2 hours for me, confess you had me all nervous. Here I was going slow checking the clamps after each groan in the suspension, then of course I nervously pulled the retainer rod from the upper control arm and expected everything to go "bing" but all I got was a thud and it fell and was stuck half way.

These are big springs, and this is even with ~2 coils already removed. Big as a chair and as long as an engine :p

[/URL][/URL]
[/URL][/URL]

Oh I nearly cocked up by running out of thread on the rods I had selected. Of course putting them on the springs in situ the spring was already somewhat compressed, but what about when I come to decompress... anyway I got lucky, there was enough thread for a gentle "PANG" as I got to the end of the rod. :p

But stuff putting these back on, will be investigating coil over sleeves for these Koni bodies.

Think of the weight I'll save, the coil over spring will no doubt be half the weight.
Bowie here is what I used when I had my front springs out of my R12.

https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/i...lt-r12-15-17-lowering-front-end.136418/page-4

I too found that normal spring compressors run out of thread when releasing the spring out of the car but I had two sets so as I unwound one, I clamped the other and continued releasing the spring to full length. Col's method is probably the best but you still need some really long threaded rods and then you still need enough room under the shock tower to stick in the compressed spring with the clamps attached. I just compressed the springs in stages using my two sets of clamps until I could just fit the spring in.

I read this again today before I started actually :) I had forgotten half of it.

Discovered this example that was sleeved to take a “conventional” sized spring. Reckon I’ll have a look at something like this instead of battling the monster.

Attachments

• 4E9682C9-5084-4F45-B33C-6354A0342E1E.jpeg
    4E9682C9-5084-4F45-B33C-6354A0342E1E.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 108
Good idea. You may still be able to dig up Scotty's thread about his little 12 that took on a lot of cars some time back. He had a similar setup on his car and 4 stud wheels too. Can't remember but I think they may have been custom. That said, I don't think it would be too hard to modify the hubs to four studs but you have to find a shop willing to do it.

Well, with a free afternoon from looking at houses we cant afford, I went back and got the second front spring out.

The upper control arm bush was flogged, along with the ball joint, glad I'm taking this all out.

Anyway it was all going to plan until I dropped the spring, strut, control assembly and wrench on my big toe.

IMG_0303.jpg

Yes it does hurt thank you very much... I even came limping back into the house for dramatic effect. Doesn't look like I can do any of the other chores my misses had planned for me this afternoon that I was putting off at all..

Suppose I best go have a beer.

oh bother. :p

Oh if anyone wants a set of springs with x2 coils removed, I wont be putting them back in. I'll prob take one of each to the Koni shop explaining what I want to happen and giving reference to what was in there, but after that if you want a set, done.

Nah it's all sorted and in pieces on my driveway. I'm just bummed my toe is sore, would you look at that band-aid :p

I’m not sure what you are asking.

But speaking of koni’s, the left hand front is completely soft.

Geez this thing of mine really is a p.o.s.

Like to be fair, I’m replacing 50yr old bushes.

This is a loooong overdue service, I’m not going to recognise it with fresh suspension bits.

Well, with a free afternoon from looking at houses we cant afford, I went back and got the second front spring out.

The upper control arm bush was flogged, along with the ball joint, glad I'm taking this all out.

Anyway it was all going to plan until I dropped the spring, strut, control assembly and wrench on my big toe.

View attachment 138310

Yes it does hurt thank you very much... I even came limping back into the house for dramatic effect. Doesn't look like I can do any of the other chores my misses had planned for me this afternoon that I was putting off at all..

Suppose I best go have a beer.

oh bother. :p

Oh if anyone wants a set of springs with x2 coils removed, I wont be putting them back in. I'll prob take one of each to the Koni shop explaining what I want to happen and giving reference to what was in there, but after that if you want a set, done.
Ouch!!! I bet that hurts. :oops:

This is what I am referring to.
Ahhhh no I want them to sleeve it for coil overs. I don't think I'll need to move the spring perch down much to be honest, but I'll let them decide. I was just going to hang on to the springs so i can explain what sort of rates / pressures I had in there to begin with when it gets down to thinking toward smaller coil over springs.

Bowie are you taking them to Smooth Suspension in Lilydale? I dropped my set of konis there yesterday for a refurb. Should be done in a week