My new XM

my xm got way more than 1000kms from a tank. an average of about 7L/100kms and an 80litre tank :)

On trips down to Melbourne in my greatly missed Xm, I also routinely got more than 1,000km from tank. After the intercity drive I had enough fuel to drive around the suburbs for about 200km. Of course that was with the PRV V6.

The most fuel I managed to get into the tank was 88 litres. That was after it wouldn't start on a slope after the flow fuel light illuminated.

my xm got way more than 1000kms from a tank. an average of about 7L/100kms and an 80litre tank :)

You surprise me - I didn't think you had a good word to say about that car! From memory it had a wheezy little diesel engine, with an intercooler that didn't work in hot weather, and presumably manual transmission, so of course you got better fuel economy!

Anyway, what you didn't have was a 3 litre V6 petrol engine, and I assume you didn't have an automatic transmission either. Yes, my fuel economy is not as good, but whether it's a quick launch into traffic, or overtaking a B-double while keeping time spent on the wrong side of the road to an absolute minimum, this car has a split personality, and can switch from smooth, quiet, comfortable, economical cruiser into an absolute missile, with nothing more than a little pressure from my right foot, and can still get around 1000 litres/tank!

BTW, I am coming around to believing that the pump/meter that delivered 93 litres must have been in need of calibration - but time will tell.

Alectown.jpg

You surprise me - I didn't think you had a good word to say about that car! From memory it had a wheezy little diesel engine, with an intercooler that didn't work in hot weather, and presumably manual transmission, so of course you got better fuel economy!

Anyway, what you didn't have was a 3 litre V6 petrol engine, and I assume you didn't have an automatic transmission either. Yes, my fuel economy is not as good, but whether it's a quick launch into traffic, or overtaking a B-double while keeping time spent on the wrong side of the road to an absolute minimum, this car has a split personality, and can switch from smooth, quiet, comfortable, economical cruiser into an absolute missile, with nothing more than a little pressure from my right foot, and can still get around 1000 litres/tank!

BTW, I am coming around to believing that the pump/meter that delivered 93 litres must have been in need of calibration - but time will tell.

View attachment 122594

There 12 valve 2.1 TD was a good little engine. Yes it did seem to loose efficiency when working hard in hot weather. "sedate" off the line is certainly a good description. Its fuel burn would probably be half that of the V6 under the same conditions!

the v6 xm (esp the later ones) are not sedate off the line when you put the boot in.
you need that option with an xm. every now and then just to thwart the lane changers in their south east asian not-quite-suvs.

heavy on the gas around town, but surprisingly easy on consumption out on the open road.
all reports of filling up the gas tank and driving ridiculous open road distances are true.

amazing cars.

ps
never park an xm downhill on a steep slope where there is a steeply pitched gutter/kerb when tank is about 1/4 full.
fuel pick up is high and dry in the tank. its a quirk of lhd prioritized design?
learned that one the hard way. took two long walks back and forth to a petrol station in the rain with a gas can to get it to start.

I also learned that the hard way - but with my 605, which obviously shares the fuel pickup (among other things). The car was parked in an underground car park which had a sloping floor - obviously I didn't realise the issue, or would not have reversed in.

Fortunately it wasn't raining, and I only had to walk to the servo once. Had to buy the fuel can though :(.

Cheers
Alec

Last edited: