My new challenge - 1964 ID19F Safari

I'm working on 2 LHD DS cars, but the colour is wrong......
A good carpet guy should be able to cut'n'shut it almost invisibly.
And I reckon I'd give it a go.
I think I know both of the guys with their hand up...... so you've got the choice of King Solomon.
Give them half each!

Ok, generator and regulator checked out and found that the Ducellier regulator needed a bit of adjustment and now the system works… BUT: installed a fully charged new battery two days ago and…. This evening it is flat again!

I cannot work out where / what drains it! How do I test what drains it? There must be a way?

Sven,

Does your multimeter have an amps range say about 20 amps or a 2amp or 200milliamp range. Set it to 20 amps, you will probably need to put the red lead into a different socket. Disconnect the battery positive terminal lead and connect it to the black multimeter lead with an alligator clip lead. Connect the red multimeter lead to the positive battery terminal. Does it read any current? Turn on the parking lights and it should read about 2 amps more which should go away when you turn the parking lights off again. If you cannot read any current flow on first hook up (with nothing turned on), disconnect the meter from the battery and set it up to try the 2amp or 200milliamp range with the red lead plugged back into its usual socket. There will always be a small current ~2 milliamps that runs the clock.

If you can read some leakage current, try unplugging fuses to see if you can stop it. If you can then it will be a problem with something that this fuse supplies. Unplug individual items until you find the one causing the leakage.

Let us know what you find.

I had a fellow club member that had a battery in his GS that would go flat over a few days if he didn't drive his car. He bought it over and I tested it as above. It ended up being a car stereo which was supposed to have a continuous 12 volt connection to keep the station memory alive, and an ignition switched power feed that was used to activate the rest of the radio when the engine was running. To make the install easier, he had just connected both 12 volt leads together and attached it to a always powered circuit (like the clock). Even with the radio turned off it was still draining about 30 milliamps from the battery which was enough to drain it over a few days.

Cheers, Ken

Your are a legend Ken - took two minutes to find the culprit…. As I have no radio or clock and lights not connected it could only be a few remaining items and it is the wiper motor! I hadn’t been confident how to connect it as the stopping position was wrong, but now that I know it has a problem I will review the wiring and setup! It was pulling 2 Amps. Thank you. Onto the next issue… 😬

bluedanube, do you have a trim / wrap / handle cover of any sort on the inside handle on the tailgate? Mine has a bit of plastic wiring loom, which isn't terrible, but clearly not very authentic... thanks

There is nothing on the actual handle… just the cover below to access the lock.
1D0D1CAA-3F92-433C-9FFA-DD821420C226.jpeg

There is nothing on the actual handle… just the cover below to access the lock.
View attachment 137735
I'm probably up the wrong tree here but as far as I know there was never anything covering the handle - - - see pic of our 1968 ID21F handle.
You're going well !!! , John.

Attachments

• Safari handle.jpg
    Safari handle.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 93
Your are a legend Ken - took two minutes to find the culprit…. As I have no radio or clock and lights not connected it could only be a few remaining items and it is the wiper motor! I hadn’t been confident how to connect it as the stopping position was wrong, but now that I know it has a problem I will review the wiring and setup! It was pulling 2 Amps. Thank you. Onto the next issue… 😬
Mate of mine had the same problem (battery draining every couple of days) with his XA Fairmont when it came back from the panel beaters after a rear ender. Turned out the Falcon boot lid they used as a replacement didn't have provision for a boot light switch like the Fairmont's did so they just hardwired it instead.🤦‍♂️

My wife's Mini had the stereo wiring problem that Ken mentioned, it was going flat every few days when we first got the car.

Glove box light staying on is another drainage source that can often fly under the radar too.

A battery isolator, like the green knob on the terminal, is a good fix if you like to listen to the radio while stationary,
and don't drive the car every week.

Wire the clock direct on the terminal to avoid having to reset it every time.

This is how I have my DS21 and rarely have to turn the isolator off, 'cos I'm using it at least twice a week at the moment.

Drum rolls & champagne folks 🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾

After 910 days the Safari is complete and running (Albeit with a few adjustments still needed of course)!

It has been a long 2.5 years at times, but now that the car is done it is enormously satisfying!

Thanks to everyone who helped with advice, information and of course parts (Michael and Bob, Erik, Lee and Wolfgang ). A special thanks has to go to Bill - Hotrodelectric - the new loom is the piece de resistance on the car! You are a legend!

So, to celebrate the day (Melbourne Cup day no less) here a few final photos of the car and a couple of videos as well.

93F3E764-DCB1-4051-82AD-1772E9760AEE.jpeg
275580C8-2A48-4871-B089-8BBF35B5637B.jpeg
09E2EEBF-9499-466E-9A01-5C158145A05F.jpeg
22B891CE-3C11-4E56-B4C1-7CB594BDA5FB.jpeg
81731218-2E3C-4B48-9115-46F1C4F49D93.jpeg
304C1BB9-2EE3-440C-A170-0E4D1C50C1A9.jpeg
F5307F9D-C08F-4585-B7A4-D24DB7465C5E.jpeg
1DF147E7-D924-4E50-9500-604F45A714E0.jpeg
B7876596-7B97-49CD-B850-73B4710F47C7.jpeg

I am super happy with the colour combination, the interior looks fantastic and all the electrics work. The ride seems as smooth as it should be and the car sits level.

There are still a few adjustments to make: the clutch isn’t separating correctly yet, the engine runs a bit rough and the brakes should be a bit smoother (the hard braking in the second video was on purpose to test them)….But that’s an assessment after maybe 1klm of driving without rego 😬. Further fiddling will be required.

But: all electrics work, the suspension seems pretty good as well and the power steering steers… the fuel gauge is bouncing all over the place, the Speedo is slightly more controlled and seems to vaguely align with the speed of the car (after all it is in miles per hour…). Handy.

Let’s see how many leaks there will be under the car in the morning…

Satisfying… very satisfying indeed.

Sven

PS : In case you forgot what the car looked like when it arrived….

D3279818-5C6C-489B-978A-A8BEAA80B549.jpeg

Last edited:
Sven, I'm at a loss for words. That is the most beautiful wagon I have ever seen. John also gives it his thumbs-up.
Thank you Bill. Means a lot coming from you…. (And John). It has been a true international effort at times! Again: thank you for building me the wiring loom. It made getting the electrics right so much easier.

After 910 days the Safari is complete and running (Albeit with a few adjustments still needed of course)!

It has been a long 2.5 years at times, but now that the car is done it is enormously satisfying!

Thanks to everyone who helped with advice, information and of course parts (Michael and Bob, Erik, Lee and Wolfgang ). A special thanks has to go to Bill - Hotrodelectric - the new loom is the piece de resistance on the car! You are a legend!

So, to celebrate the day (Melbourne Cup day no less) here a few final photos of the car and a couple of videos as well.

View attachment 137916View attachment 137917View attachment 137918View attachment 137919View attachment 137920View attachment 137921View attachment 137922View attachment 137923View attachment 137924

I am super happy with the colour combination, the interior looks fantastic and all the electrics work. The ride seems as smooth as it should be and the car sits level.

There are still a few adjustments to make: the clutch isn’t separating correctly yet, the engine runs a bit rough and the brakes should be a bit smoother (the hard braking in the second video was on purpose to test them)….But that’s an assessment after maybe 1klm of driving without rego 😬. Further fiddling will be required.

But: all electrics work, the suspension seems pretty good as well and the power steering steers… the fuel gauge is bouncing all over the place, the Speedo is slightly more controlled and seems to vaguely align with the speed of the car (after all it is in miles per hour…). Handy.

Sven

View attachment 137925
Phenomenal. You should be rightfully proud!

View attachment 137916View attachment 137917View attachment 137918View attachment 137919View attachment 137920View attachment 137921View attachment 137922View attachment 137923View attachment 137924

Sven

View attachment 137925

beautiful work, Sven! Looking lovely.

And thanks for documenting the progress, the trials, the successes, the advice, the sources - it's invaluable to any of us who follow your lead.

I've really enjoyed following this, and learnt plenty along the way too. Thanks!

It’s been a pleasure Nigel … and all others who followed and commented with support. The weekly updates put a certain amount of pressure on me to keep going - otherwise these things can drag out too long. I added up the hours - about 1700 hours is what I spent on the car. Actually quite reasonable in hindsight. But you wouldn’t want to pay someone else to do this for you…

My next project? I would love to have a crack at an SM. If anyone knows of a “resto worthy” car at a fair price let me know…. I think I worked out by now how to modify the seats to fit me in.

Sven,

Find someone that has a SM nearby (jonf maybe) and go have have a sit in it. The roofline is much lower than a DS. I am 183cm and my hair brushes against the headlining when I have the drivers seat right down on its lowest position and I also drive with the seat back as far as it will go. There is not much space between the back of the seat and the squab of the back seat.

Cheers, Ken