My new challenge - 1964 ID19F Safari

Sven, having just received a 1966 Break, I'm following along in awe. Well done sir, well done!
Also, thanks for the exhaustive details & links to parts.
Very nice! Second nose with short stroke engine - a good combo! More photos please…😬

i am glad to hear that me rambling on about the resto might help a few others. For me it keeps me on my toes to progress and finish the car. 2.5years went by pretty quickly and kept me sane through the 6 Covid lockdowns in Melbourne.

welcome to Aussiefrogs - a great community!

Very nice! Second nose with short stroke engine - a good combo! More photos please…😬

i am glad to hear that me rambling on about the resto might help a few others. For me it keeps me on my toes to progress and finish the car. 2.5years went by pretty quickly and kept me sane through the 6 Covid lockdowns in Melbourne.

welcome to Aussiefrogs - a great community!
Hey thanks! Here’s a few more pix. This one does have an early 70s engine, but is still on LHS, so a proper weirdo. Can’t believe you’re on lockdown 6. Sheesh. My first 4 went into restoring something entirely unrelated but of similar vintage…

im about to order the new rubber kit for the roof rack (thanks for the imagery!). Also the jump seat straps, I wondered what was supposed to go there, little bits of rubber is perfect.

wonder if you’ve been able to source rubber seals like these for the way back floor? https://www.franzose.de/en/ALLE/Alle/Suche/?mainSHOP=Citroen-DS-11CV-HY&suchbegriff=Rubber

Some smaller ovals. Also mine has strangely only one padded trim on the D pillar, though it came with a spare, so 2 lefties…

Attachments

• img_1055.jpeg
    img_1055.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 142
  • img_1143.jpeg
    img_1143.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 146
  • s-l640 (3).jpeg
    s-l640 (3).jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 140
  • s-l640 (6).jpeg
    s-l640 (6).jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 145
  • s-l640 (4).jpeg
    s-l640 (4).jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 142
This one does have an early 70s engine, but is still on LHS, so a proper weirdo.
Yah, the short-stroke engines were the same '66-'75, the only differences being largely displacement (1.9, 2.1, and later 2.3 litres) and horsepower ratings. The LHS was one of those goofy US requirements until I think February 1969, when the US DOT finally discovered that LHM was OK for use. A shift to LHM would be feasible, just a fair amount of work.

wonder if you’ve been able to source rubber seals like these for the way back floor? https://www.franzose.de/en/ALLE/Alle/Suche/?mainSHOP=Citroen-DS-11CV-HY&suchbegriff=Rubber

Some smaller ovals. Also mine has strangely only one padded trim on the D pillar, though it came with a spare, so 2 lefties…
It sure which rubbers you are after - the link shows a whole lot…

there is Only one pad for the d-pillar. On the left side.

I have changed over from LHS to LHM… and glad I did looking at the amount of leaks and spills that would have attacked the paint by now. With LHM it gets preserved 😄. But if the system works well and doesn’t need major work it would be fine to remain on LHS.

your Safari looks in pretty good condition. I like the Pallas Auxiliary lights… what’s the interior like?

Besides the issues with the generator in my other post, things are looking pretty good. As the outer panels are still at the paint shop, I went to see Seatbelt King at Braeside in Melbourne and bought a set for the front and back - fast and easy to install. For the rear seats I made up a special plate to enable the retractable reel to be used on the Safari wheel arch attachment points. Rear centre gets a lap belt…

I went for Grey as it matches the original belts.

1AAE7CC1-741E-4D22-9B21-CC6E93E67E39.jpeg

I also finally got my front carpet in the correct 1250mm width from Citrotoon. It took three attempts, but now it looks right. If anyone needs a new front carpet (albeit 10mm too narrow) - I have two spare ones now…😄

9515593C-19DC-4469-8226-F401D28E8F98.jpeg

Unfortunately my break carrier sanding only partially worked, so out they came again and I added a very thin lip of sealant to fill the voids between the o-ring and the carrier, without risking brake issues due to excess sealant. Let’s see whether that stops the leaking. After a few days of sitting pressurised and even a bit of driving (video to come!) it looks promising. No leaks.

098A37A2-DCC9-4C80-92ED-633C61205C33.jpeg

Then my power steering seal kit arrived… and straight onto it. Not as simple as it appeared when I pulled it all apart!!!

Installing new o-rings is easy, but there are seven o-rings that are supported by a thin Teflon ring to aid the sealing and gliding of the rams. Four are inside the steering pinion housing to create three chambers and guide the fluid when you turn the steering wheel - they went in well and I was able to push/press the housing with all four rings onto the shaft - I expected that to be the hardest part… not so!

The trickiest bit was the main cylinder rod with its centre seal - it is an o-ring with the Teflon outer wedged between two washers that get locked in with circlips - but they are so tight that it squeezes the o-ring out and expands the Teflon ring which then doesn’t want to compress again to fit inside the outer cylinder… and they are that bloody fragile and thin that even just looking at them bends them 😡

There was no way I could squeeze them in without damaging them. What I did in the end was to use the die grinder and chamfer a lead onto the inner of the cylinder and the two outer ends of the main rod (as they also needed to fit into / expand one of those Teflon o-ring combos).

F5FAFC23-EA71-4EC6-84C9-C64BE315AA83.jpeg

Here the outer ends of the main ram to enable those to be pushed into the Teflon ring in the end caps shown below ….

516B0E87-39CA-4C87-BE2F-3A672ECC16FA.jpeg

What a shit fight… I am sure there might be special tools or better methods, but this was 9.8 degree of difficulty.

CB68D2BC-6696-4C3C-8289-60FAE96EF689.jpeg

Once the main ram was assembled, the rest seemed easy. I had all the items marked and put them back into its original place and alignment.

C4CE5281-4155-4E81-B0CE-1D98EDDDE7ED.jpeg

Below the outer Teflon ring (with an o-ring behind that you cannot see) in the end cap. The rod to the right needed to be pushed into the ring, but without chamfering the rod end it just jammed up every time.

9C100F0B-C059-4AB3-A62A-A5C221A6BFF6.jpeg

But: the steering rack is back together, installed and, once it was filled with LHM and pressure - seemed to do its job! So far no visible leaks but it may take time to seep through the dust bellows… hope not.

And then also got the first photos back from the painter - I asked him to focus on the doors as they will take the longest to assemble and align… looking sharp! Exciting, I should be able to pick them up Monday…

EF068D50-4417-4089-8CB6-D39CD67AAE6C.jpeg
BB6FA94B-4E63-4CE3-B08B-9EAB99ED1DF7.jpeg

And…. drum roll…. Now that everything is back together and running I actually drove the car - if only 5m back and forth. See video…

It’s been dormant for decades.

Oh, ok. Sorta like a lot of us. :yawn:

You cleaned the generator, did you replace the brushes? I agree with Bob, they do look suspect. Also, did you lightly clean the contact points in the regulator? Don't bend the contacts wide open. You'll upset the air gap and they'll then need to be reset by a real sparky. And a possibility: the battery charge cable might have been made too short, resulting in a broken terminal. That one would be on me.

Yes, cleaned the points in the regulator. I can check the charge cable , but I don’t think that’s it.

As I haven’t changed the brushes I will pull the generator out and have an auto electrician check it out properly.

bleudanube, a few more pix of my interior. About to order seatbelts. I like your gray. Got a few swatches, and one of the reds is sitting mighty nice with my interior, though so is a light gray... was inspired by your jumpseat straps and did my own flavor of it just now with some rubber watch straps.

(PS: stereo installed by previous owner, sounds decent. The speakers were bouncing around in the back, so I added some magnets to them, now they stay put around corners without poking holes in the car).

Attachments

• s-l640 (2).jpeg
    s-l640 (2).jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 106
  • s-l640 (7).jpeg
    s-l640 (7).jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 104
  • s-l640 (4).jpeg
    s-l640 (4).jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 114
  • s-l640 (7).jpeg
    s-l640 (7).jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_9271.JPG
    IMG_9271.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_9270.JPG
    IMG_9270.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_9269.JPG
    IMG_9269.JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_9268.JPG
    IMG_9268.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_9265.JPG
    IMG_9265.JPG
    259.6 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_9264.JPG
    IMG_9264.JPG
    216.9 KB · Views: 105
bleudanube, a few more pix of my interior. About to order seatbelts. I like your gray. Got a few swatches, and one of the reds is sitting mighty nice with my interior, though so is a light gray... was inspired by your jumpseat straps and did my own flavor of it just now with some rubber watch straps.

(PS: stereo installed by previous owner, sounds decent. The speakers were bouncing around in the back, so I added some magnets to them, now they stay put around corners without poking holes in the car).
Looks in very good condition! Well found! Seems to only need a bit of tidy up here and there and then just enjoy it…

Hello Sven,

I could be interested in a front floor carpet. I am not yet sure whether a slightly narrow carpet for a 1964 Safari will fit my application, but I think it might be close enough.

Cheers,
Roger

Hey Sven,
Looking very good. Your perseverance with the steering rack is very impressive.
Can't wait to see it finished.
cheers Tony

Yep, it is certainly a ‘project’ Tony... but: some success this weekend. After charging the battery I at least had lights, wipers and a horn! But no power to the engine. So I dismantled the solenoid on the positive battery terminal. Found a broken wire on the coil! Soldered it back on, cleaned it all up and was able to crank the engine over at least - a good start. Lots of small bits in that little gizmo
View attachment 113772

Next challenge: no fuel. Checked the tank - no rust inside. So put a few litres into the tank, but the pump didn’t pull up any fuel. Pulling it out revealed a fair bit of internal corrosion and bypassing valves. It is an Australian made pump... but cannot find a manufacturer logo. But the valves appear to be standard 19mm ones, so found a company in Brisbane - Classic Carbs who appear to sell them.
View attachment 113773

Would anyone know what brand the pump is?
View attachment 113771

so, hopefully once I have the new valves the pump will pull up fuel. Then onto the spark and if all goes as planned the beast will fire up. Hopefully without too many leaks of LHS, coolant or oil. :D

Couple of other questions for the brains trust:

what is this? Looks like a pressure sensor on the cam chain cover? Standard? Bolt on aftermarket?
View attachment 113774

and then this bolt. It is plugging a hole in the head. It is located to the front of the heater hose exit point. What would normally connect there?
View attachment 113775

also re manual: found 814. Seems to have a bit of older model stuff in it as well.

Sven
Nice to see an early safari getting the love it deserves.
Just a guess but the bolt on the head plate, would be holding back warm water. Did you car have two front heaters? As this may be a path for an accessory heater. This could also be used as an air vent when filling water into the block. The water block drain bolt is lower on the block forward of the left hand motor mount, it could help vent that also.
The added piping near the cam cover appears to end at an oil sensor. My bet is an added feature by a previous owner.
I have a similar 1963 motor with a 4sp manual here in the USA.
Happy Motorin'
PaulE in RI

Hello Sven,

I could be interested in a front floor carpet. I am not yet sure whether a slightly narrow carpet for a 1964 Safari will fit my application, but I think it might be close enough.

Cheers,
Roger
Roger, got one other froggie interested, if he falls through it is yours. I thought I had two, but one is for a LHD car (from the first error shipment)… so unless someone has a LHD DS it will probably go in the bin some day…

I
Roger, got one other froggie interested, if he falls through it is yours. I thought I had two, but one is for a LHD car (from the first error shipment)… so unless someone has a LHD DS it will probably go in the bin some day…

Actually, Sven, a LHD front carpet might even be better! It is for a 1962 ID19, witb a pendant brake pedal.

Cheers,
Roger

Here a photo… not sure this will work…. It’s got a cut out on the left side. But I have a couple of ‘infill’ carpets as shown in the photo as well… you will have to move the heel pad.

B5E71C68-176E-423C-8614-AE3196E17F90.jpeg

Sure it will work! Just unstitch and re-sew the foot pad, and fill in the gap with the spare piece.

Even if it is a bit rough, it will he heaps better than what is there now!

Roger