My new challenge - 1964 ID19F Safari

As promised, the painter let me drop the chassis off last week and I will hopefully have it and the other ancillary panels all back before Christmas. I left the tilt jig and wheels on so the painter can get to the underside as well applying epoxy primer, then clear over base of gris rose (and gris palombe for the roof section).

D09B64E8-A895-4E77-88D2-246A5D0926E6.jpeg
7A0A1615-5A02-4668-A451-69FF2BCC6C62.jpeg

The rest of the weekend was taken up refurbishing the steering rack and a few other ancillary items. Luckily there is a video by the Dutch DS Technik Team that Shows how to slip the far side bellow over the steering pin...

42864C1F-D3C4-46E2-AB66-59E665B006F7.jpeg
68F63DC3-915F-4348-B5F6-2B67C13F88F3.jpeg
D83E9935-D6EB-460A-9685-62EFD0DC8FAA.jpeg

Air inlet guide got a coat of silver, I wasn’t a fan of the galvanised look.

7A40736E-A97E-4B33-87C8-4FDA4D9145B7.jpeg

The height lever was pretty cracked. After sanding and filling the cracks it is back to how it should be. Small job, but an item that is being used a fair bit.

5C9348BC-CF97-45D1-8E3E-4EBA8186FAD8.jpeg
E892CEB2-D6F9-4ED9-98D1-BF39835B2E61.jpeg
D0F22C64-9341-4A8B-816B-E5C484980436.jpeg

Also spent a bit of time working out whether wrinkle paint will work on the dash. Tried oven, hairdryer and air dried - non really worked well and I might have to try something else.

I found one photo that shows the pattern of the original dash - would anyone know how to replicate it?

158B08DE-1B8B-45A2-9F3A-83D37D4690FF.jpeg

Most ID owners appear to have painted the dash in ‘normal’ Gris Claire or Gris Rose, but I quite like the stipple effect...

As promised, the painter let me drop the chassis off last week and I will hopefully have it and the other ancillary panels all back before Christmas. I left the tilt jig and wheels on so the painter can get to the underside as well applying epoxy primer, then clear over base of gris rose (and gris palombe for the roof section).

View attachment 128454View attachment 128455

The rest of the weekend was taken up refurbishing the steering rack and a few other ancillary items. Luckily there is a video by the Dutch DS Technik Team that Shows how to slip the far side bellow over the steering pin...

View attachment 128456View attachment 128460View attachment 128457

View attachment 128459
The height lever was pretty cracked. After sanding and filling the cracks it is back to how it should be. Small job, but an item that is being used a fair bit.

View attachment 128461View attachment 128462View attachment 128463

Also spent a bit of time working out whether wrinkle paint will work on the dash. Tried oven, hairdryer and air dried - non really worked well and I might have to try something else.

I found one photo that shows the pattern of the original dash - would anyone know how to replicate it?

View attachment 128464
Most ID owners appear to have painted the dash in ‘normal’ Gris Claire or Gris Rose, but I quite like the stipple effect...

View attachment 128454View attachment 128455

View attachment 128456View attachment 128460View attachment 128457

View attachment 128459

View attachment 128461View attachment 128462View attachment 128463

View attachment 128464

Don't most try Harley wrinkle paint for the dash ? Greenblood has a really nice job done on his later dash (it might have been powder coated)

Either CitroenDS or Dirk Sassens will sell you a repainted dash on an exchange basis. I've seen cars at shows in Europe that have new wrinkle dashes and the wrinkle pattern looks a bit odd. Like a series of large, rough circles/ craters joined by veins. The original looks like small clusters of short, layered waves. Not sure who those big boys use but there is an Italian company that similarly do them on an exchange basis and their results look more like the originals. They sent me a sample. The wrinkle is just right bu tnot quite the right colour - if they could get a better colour match (and they have offered), I would use them.

VHT wrinkle paint produces a good and accurate wrinkle - but not available in gris rose. If you overspray you risk filling the wrinkles, however someone here on Aussiefrogs experimented recently with good results. More than once I have thought of crowd funding to get VHT to make a batch of wrinkle in gris rose. Here's the italian product. Computer colours make my steering lock look too pink. Ignore that. Notice how good the wrinkles are, but that the two colours are different that's all.

IMG_9875.JPG

73B4A7EC-F1E7-46F4-BFB5-170DA7ED7763.jpeg

Santa came early this morning and returned my chassis and panels from the painter 👍. And it looks fantastic.

After 15 months of cutting, fabricating, welding and grinding it is satisfying to see what the point was: having a shiny chassis back in the garage is the midpoint of the restoration.

9EFBC2D8-F5FE-4163-B193-AD71BBE82AC0.jpeg
15988FE3-5CC3-4F0B-B682-E4E00B99BEB6.jpeg
B2DA0287-C4A6-4EFB-AE72-62EC2B9F62B4.jpeg
E065295D-A236-40A6-A706-D80D1C7B62D3.jpeg
6893074D-7015-444A-B9DD-B27E26475C15.jpeg
846BBA7C-CDB1-46BA-8DA3-B03203465590.jpeg
711FEBDF-0AEB-45E2-A3A1-072860667ACE.jpeg

The two tone roof will look fantastic with the polished roof rack on top. 50 shades of grey...

it is incredible to look at the ‘before’ photos a year ago... so much crud and rust, grime and dirt.

D1264D7B-CB84-4A47-BCC9-A0E3D9E01FAD.jpeg

And now it also makes it a bit easier to see the end point and what the car will look like when done.

4F24C971-2E65-480B-BB03-25E6113391BA.jpeg

Merry Christmas to everyone. Enjoy the festive season! Sven

with the wrinkle paint there was a German guy who Chris posted links to on the man's D resto and he used wrinkle followed by a mix of Humbrol hobby paints sprayed over the top. Got the tone he wanted. Can't remember for the life of me the site name. Shell very nize, wa wa wee wa!

with the wrinkle paint there was a German guy who Chris posted links to on the man's D resto and he used wrinkle followed by a mix of Humbrol hobby paints sprayed over the top. Got the tone he wanted. Can't remember for the life of me the site name.
i wonder if it was this (French) site below? As I have a photo in my archives of a re-wrinkled dash that comes from here

i wonder if it was this (French) site below? As I have a photo in my archives of a re-wrinkled dash that comes from here
Hi Paul,
It was a German DS forum, something like DS Friends de. I used be a frequent visitor as one particular member had a very comprehensive restoration underway. Sadly the owner/webmaster passed away and the site appears to be no longer hosted.

I have images on a laptop I haven't used in a while but I'll see if I can find them, I think it was one process so the colour was mixed and applied in much the same way as the black, rather than applied over a wrinkled finish.

Sven, your project is on my to do list :cool:

Cheers
Chris

Hi Paul,
It was a German DS forum, something like DS Friends de. I used be a frequent visitor as one particular member had a very comprehensive restoration underway. Sadly the owner/webmaster passed away and the site appears to be no longer hosted.

I have images on a laptop I haven't used in a while but I'll see if I can find them, I think it was one process so the colour was mixed and applied in much the same way as the black, rather than applied over a wrinkled finish.

Sven, your project is on my to do list :cool:

Cheers
Chris
I'd be very interested in that process Chris. I'm still searching for the *right* wrinkle finish......

Hi Sven, you are certainly doing a beautifully thorough job on your Safari restoration - a credit to you and your skills!

Our family owned a 1963 Slough built Safari since 1970, and my brother still has it in Melbourne. He is got a few jobs to finish to get it back on the road, but you might want to connect to compare notes? It is in the original dark blue - perhaps the Bleu D’Orient shade you are looking at?
A couple of photos from a few years back. Cheers, Neil

Attachments

• Citroen ID19 Safari 1963.JPG
    Citroen ID19 Safari 1963.JPG
    695 KB · Views: 164
  • Citroen ID19 Safari 1963 Qld.jpg
    Citroen ID19 Safari 1963 Qld.jpg
    641.6 KB · Views: 165
Neil,
Would love to catch up with your brother and have a look at his Safari - especially for some of the smaller details regarding interior, switches, etc that I haven’t got a reference point for. A Slough car may be a tad different, but worth checking it out for sure.

If you could PM me his details that would be most appreciated!

Sven

Hi Sven,

Another colour suggestion (here he goes again! he should get his own safari then he can paint it hate ever colour he wants)
In the Original Deesse book by whats his name there is a Slough built safari featured that is painted a nice metallic blue (not dissimilar to your last one) including the roof. I think it looks spectacular but it maybe because of all the slough details including the plank of wood dashboard. I think it was only the slough built cars that had the matching coloured roof and you have just painted yours two tones of grey and are unlikely to change that. Anyway another 2 bobs worth of suggestion.
The chassis is looking splendid.

cheers Tony

Hi Sven,

Another colour suggestion (here he goes again! he should get his own safari then he can paint it hate ever colour he wants)
In the Original Deesse book by whats his name there is a Slough built safari featured that is painted a nice metallic blue (not dissimilar to your last one) including the roof. I think it looks spectacular but it maybe because of all the slough details including the plank of wood dashboard. I think it was only the slough built cars that had the matching coloured roof and you have just painted yours two tones of grey and are unlikely to change that. Anyway another 2 bobs worth of suggestion.
The chassis is looking splendid.

cheers Tony
Keep em coming Tony - any suggestion welcome.
Two things put me off the metallic blue: I feel a large car like the Safari needs a dark colour and it is very close to my previous D Super colour as you mentioned, so I wouldn’t want to have the same colour again...

I think I've had a stab at this before as I'm a big advocado of original paint schemes! That poo brown would be glamorous plus but for a Cit colour Bleu d'Orient is stunning. ha ha.Chris is right as always, the German guy was doing some kind of spray with the Humbrol mixed with thinners in some way to wrinkle it all up from memory. It's a black art fershure to be shure. it might be a case of spraying the hobby paint then as it starts to cure hit it with a coat of thinners which might distort it. Dunno.

I reckon that brun Isard screams French sixties scheme, which it is of course.

Last edited:
Did someone find the link to the site with the wrinkle paint technique??

Chris is right as always, the German guy was doing some kind of spray with the Humbrol mixed with thinners in some way to wrinkle it all up from memory. It's a black art fershure to be shure. it might be a case of spraying the hobby paint then as it starts to cure hit it with a coat of thinners which might distort it. Dunno.

I had another go at wrinkle paint with paint over the top - terrible, definitely not an option.

I found some Interpon powder coating wrinkle paint in Dune Colorbond - have ordered a sample and will have a chat to my powder coater to see what he thinks. On photos it looks quite decent.

I spent the last few days polishing the aluminium trim pieces for the roof. Straightening the trim, remove dents and sand out a fair bit of corrosion on some pieces - rewarding, but filthy work... some needed 10 steps! I had to go down to 40 grit on the rear lid cross trim, it was that badly pitted.

The three trim pieces at the top are the before: dented, dull, scratched. The below are sanded to 600 wet, then polished.
C791820D-1337-4A07-8CB3-81002D90E28C.jpeg
294B84CA-2C94-4137-ABA0-1E127AD4F5FC.jpeg

You can see the pitting on the right hand side - it was surprisingly deep, hence the 40 grit starting point.
333316A1-9E6D-4162-A637-83807DE00B2D.jpeg

The dash strip is causing me some headaches. It was badly scratched and dented as well, which meant I had to remove the anodising to fix it up. I am now contemplating whether to leave it polished, or try to find a paint that replicates the anodised finish as reanodising would likely damage the stripe pattern.
3FFD32A2-3BA5-41FA-A2A6-6EF8181935B5.jpeg

The roof rack was painted with Chrome paint. Might dull it down a little with a clear coat to get closer to the original anodised finish.
A653E425-D2B6-467C-B642-72CCBE7BECF7.jpeg
40660CA1-DC90-45E6-AE41-7D77953BE805.jpeg
C38AA0AF-84F1-496F-A13E-D396EF068951.jpeg
47D1563A-1215-4B12-ACB5-5F0A8F171DD6.jpeg

The rest of the days were spent cleaning rubber seals... the door seals are still usable, all glass seals need to be renewed.

DB90AE1F-D439-445F-AE62-51021034ED28.jpeg