My new challenge - 1964 ID19F Safari

Thanks for the manual links. Plenty there to keep me occupied.

Tim, I think 5+ years sitting unused hasn’t helped the car. But not to worry, I will get it to run. Pump valves are on its way.

Couple of other questions for the brains trust:

what is this? Looks like a pressure sensor on the cam chain cover? Standard? Bolt on aftermarket?
View attachment 113774

and then this bolt. It is plugging a hole in the head. It is located to the front of the heater hose exit point. What would normally connect there?
View attachment 113775

also re manual: found 814. Seems to have a bit of older model stuff in it as well.

Sven

anybody out there with the knowledge of what the sensor is or what this bolt is shutting off?

After installing two new fuel pump valves the pump worked a treat. No leaks and plenty of “suck” :wink2:

313F533A-1806-41E4-982C-EDFC561CE764.jpeg
7F8AF797-90AA-4616-B1F4-3B44F2CCD58B.jpeg

next onto the ignition: no spark. After rooting around cleaning every contact and checking everything it finally came down to the contacts. Adjusted those and I had a spark. After a few attempts the beast kicked over and ran! :banana: And not even too badly - a bit rough at first, but it then settled in. Something sounds a bit clunky, not sure yet whether it is the water pump or valves.

Suspension? Well, if I had reinstalled the break accumulator maybe. Forgot that Had been removed and LHS started running wild... quick, shut the car off, mop up the fluid, install the accumulator, refill fluid and have another go. One of the unions was leaking. Clean up the thread a bit more (do these joints/threads have seals? Don’t believe they do, but can anyone confirm? Can you seal them with thread tape?) and all was ok.

0804716E-8F27-44A7-9073-EC1E1A7024D3.jpeg
A7680B94-B3F6-47B2-8308-2951F37A4CF1.jpeg

The car even rose off its stops. Mostly the rear, but even the front came up a little.

So, a pretty successful day. At least the car runs and even the hydraulics seem to have some life in them. Better then expected, but what I was hoping for.

The LHM cars most definitely have seals and, as both LHS and LHM are high pressure systems, i can't imagine that an LHS car would not.

Based on LHM cars, the 4.5mm pipe takes a standard seal for that size, but the brake accumulator seal for the bigger 6.35mm pipe is not the same as the seal used at the pressure regulator and hydraulic pump. The internal diameter is the same - to fit the pipe - but the outer diameter of the seal is bigger. The usual suspects stock both (for LHM).

UPDATE: I've just checked on 'Der Franzose'. Yes: the LHS cars need seals on the brake accumulator. There are THREE sizes of 6.35mm seals 8mm, 10mm and 12mm outer diameters. Apparently its the 12mm one that is needed for the brake accumulator.

Last edited:
Thanks Budge. I think you are right. Seals are required. I think the next step is to strip the car completely. Engine runs and hydraulics work, but the car is not safe to drive, so I might as well get started stripping it, catalogue and photograph it all and start on the restoration - I am sure I will find a few “oh s#%t” moments, but that’s half the fun with old cars.

Hi Sven,
If your going as far as stripping the car right down down I'd also work in a conversion to LHM.
So much kinder to the new paint on a restored car and relatively easy on a manual power steer ID19.
There is not much extra work or cost involved compared to the other investments you are making in the restoration.
Kind regards,
Mark :)

However, isn't this a Safari? Except for the early versions, it would be plumbed more like a DS19M with power steering, 7 piston pump and a brake accumulator. Also a Weber.

Hi Sven,
If your going as far as stripping the car right down down I'd also work in a conversion to LHM.
So much kinder to the new paint on a restored car and relatively easy on a manual power steer ID19.
There is not much extra work or cost involved compared to the other investments you are making in the restoration.
Kind regards,
Mark :)

I am not 100% sure what is exactly involved to change to LHM, but I agree that should be the plan. Yes, would hate the new paint be eaten by break fluid. It’s a manual steering rack and most of the rubber hoses are in bad state. I assume that all spheres, pipe seals, 7 piston pump innards have to be rebuild? What else? Is this documented anywhere?

Even the earliest safaris with manual steering had a 7 piston pump, brake accumulator and trolley brake valve.

Roger

Power steering was initially option according to Reynolds, but then standard. I've seen several local 63/64 Safaris that have power steering and a Weber, but maybe that wasn't always the rule. It shouldn't be difficult to retrofit it with a later LHM rack and a column with the smaller steering wheel.

fit power steering if your going to go to the effort of converting to LHM. It makes them a lot nicer to drive :) All you need is the rack if it has a 7cylinder pump already fitted!

You also need the power steering wheel. Not only is the wheel diameter smaller but also the spline on the rack end of the column is female (as opposed to male in the manual steering wheel). And you need the centring cam and follower.

Roger

Michael gave me a couple of steering racks as “spares”. They do need a full overhaul, but it means I am half way there to change the car to power steering. If anyone has a spare grey 40cm female steering wheel they like to part with, or swap with the larger manual one...?

but that’s still months away anyway until I really need it.

Does the power steering rack just plumb into the existing lines / connection blocks, or would I also need some “joiner/modified hydraulic line” parts?

Michael gave me a couple of steering racks as “spares”. They do need a full overhaul, but it means I am half way there to change the car to power steering. If anyone has a spare grey 40cm female steering wheel they like to part with, or swap with the larger manual one...?

but that’s still months away anyway until I really need it.

Does the power steering rack just plumb into the existing lines / connection blocks, or would I also need some “joiner/modified hydraulic line” parts?

The 1963 parts Safari (wreck) that I still have here, does have the power steering that yours does not have. It does look to have the female end at the end of the steering column so if you remain with LHS, these parts will help you.
If you go with LHM, you will probably be using these components from a late (LHM) DS car.
Michael

Thanks Michael, might take you up on the steering column...

Started pulling the front apart. Plenty of grime, rust, and corrosion - lots of fun! Slow going, but should be able to tackle pulling out the engine next weekend.

D0A1EDB6-5F1F-4ABB-9D86-D07551156B35.jpeg
D5A4E209-1078-4FF5-9AC8-971DFE67048C.jpeg

But I do have a few questions about some of the parts on the car:

one headlight and bucket is Cibie, one Marchal - what was the standard used on these cars?
3BEC4E2E-141A-4E25-B360-A5FFB4BA13D8.jpeg

the regulator is a Lucas one - what would have been installed originally? Ducellier?
CD35E472-1DA9-485E-9AE4-E94CB851F8FE.jpeg

the fuse box on the passenger side is a 6 fuse box... what is original?
358CB155-1F2E-470D-8E63-A3857C5D744C.jpeg

i guess, if anyone has the original parts I would be interested - like to get it back to the original state of I can. Next part is the dash and loom, pretty easy process.

Sven

Lovey to see your progress through those photos. keep them coming please.

BTW I notice the car seems to have a later steel pressure regulator fitted. No bad thing.

BTW I notice the car seems to have a later steel pressure regulator fitted. No bad thing.

Budge, intrigued now: later steel pressure regulator... are you talking about the accumulator or else? If so, didn’t realise there is an “older” version - what does the original one look like? Does anyone have a photo?

The lights would have been Marchal on a French Car. I wouldn't have thought that the fuse carrier would have been swapped over. The (elec) regulator might have been faulty so then swapped for a Lucas. I probably have a French regulator in a drum.