My new challenge - 1964 ID19F Safari

20211122_084019.jpg

20211122_085219.jpg

My point is.......
It just doesn't matter what revs it's doing at 85km/hr.
The size of the carby throat is completely irrelevant.
The wet grip of the 165 tyres is of no concern.
The torque curve is....... what is that anyway?
We are talking about sculptural curves here!

Last edited:
Long indeed.
But not too bad. With a bore to stroke ratio of .78/1 there's still hope.
You wonder how the heck they managed to keep the compression so low with such a stroke, probably a combustion chamber the size of an airport hangar. I'm sure there's a lot of power to be found in this engine.
I had a 1924 Bean 14, I sold last year, 2.3L side valve 4 with 75mm bore 135mm stroke. Revved to 4K, not earth shattering engine revs but I reckon the piston speed would have been getting right up there.

The long stroke and heavy flywheel in the early Dees would limit any major performance improvement other than via forced induction.

Safe speed limit for a (average design) cast alloy piston is considered to be 3500 FPM. The long stroke engine would be approaching this speed at 5000 rpm.
There may be scope for minor improvements in carburation and exhaust but any serious work would require a total rebuild with lighter more modern design forged pistons to safely permit higher RPMs.

The 80hp long stroke is quite unusual (for an old tech engine) in that it carries very close to maximum torque from 2750 through to 4250 rpm. 4500 is max hp rpm. Very few old school engines carried so much of their torque so close to their max hp RPMs. Any engine mods (other than forced induction) would see this flexibility start to dissappear.

I had a 1924 Bean 14, I sold last year, 2.3L side valve 4 with 75mm bore 135mm stroke. Revved to 4K, not earth shattering engine revs but I reckon the piston speed would have been getting right up there.

The long stroke and heavy flywheel in the early Dees would limit any major performance improvement other than via forced induction.

Safe speed limit for a (average design) cast alloy piston is considered to be 3500 FPM. The long stroke engine would be approaching this speed at 5000 rpm.
There may be scope for minor improvements in carburation and exhaust but any serious work would require a total rebuild with lighter more modern design forged pistons to safely permit higher RPMs.

The 80hp long stroke is quite unusual (for an old tech engine) in that it carries very close to maximum torque from 2750 through to 4250 rpm. 4500 is max hp rpm. Very few old school engines carried so much of their torque so close to their max hp RPMs. Any engine mods (other than forced induction) would see this flexibility start to dissappear.
Most inappropriate discussion.
Offensive sentiments.
Please, someone remove this!

Most inappropriate discussion.
Offensive sentiments.
Please, someone remove this!
Now now, the last paragraph states the exact reason you should leave a good thing well enough alone.

Some of the usability comes from the twin throat carburettors that allow economical high speed cruising but sufficient through put of air to ensure WHEN the second throat is opened ( via a feelable right foot pedal ) there is good air flow. IDs with the Solex carburettors required more planning when an overtaking manoeuvre was anticipated. Much like using the momentum when driving a 2CV. It used to be called "road craft"...and a well driven 2CV on twisting roads can be a revelation for how much it can do with so little power.

Some of the usability comes from the twin throat carburettors that allow economical high speed cruising but sufficient through put of air to ensure WHEN the second throat is opened ( via a feelable right foot pedal ) there is good air flow. IDs with the Solex carburettors required more planning when an overtaking manoeuvre was anticipated. Much like using the momentum when driving a 2CV. It used to be called "road craft"...and a well driven 2CV on twisting roads can be a revelation for how much it can do with so little power.
Yes, as I stated earlier with my 88hp short stroke, it hill climbs well in top gear if I get it to 3000 rpm before I hit the incline. 2500 rpm and I'm looking for 3rd gear in short order.
As you indicate, make the most of what you've got.

Our youngest daughter learnt to drive on the 2008 Raid through the west Australian deserts.
Our '60 AZ 2CV, with 14hp from the 425cc kept up with the mob of 602's.
She learnt how to extract every gram/m of torque, and how to manage the gears.
She learnt how to drive in deep sand, and why tall skinny tyres are so good.
She learnt to drive!

The feelable right foot pressure is something I missed in the injection 23. Not that it was a powerball being a slug BorgWarner 3 speed automatic. Put your foot down in an injection car and it is just not the same. It was a guzzler in comparison to a 4 speed 21.
Making the most of what you've got ... well to update to a C5 diesel was something of a revelation for its torque at low revs. Initially I was amazed at what it would do in climbing hills and still do it in 6th or 5th with 4 people and luggage aboard.
I have now adjusted to that style of power delivery after 15 years and am now learning the delights of a modern 2.5 litre single turbo Japanese "high speed" diesel engine mated to an 8 speed transmission. It spends more time changing gear than IN gear. The term "high speed" was significant years ago with non common rail electronically fuelled diesels, which even today are limited to D tractor engine revs. My new diesel is 86x105.1 so still long stroke.

…required more planning when an overtaking manoeuvre was anticipated. It used to be called "road craft"...
😂😂😂👍

Overtaking…. I did that yesterday! But it was on a 4 lane motorway… took me a fair way to do it 😂.

I had an old lady in a Golf in front of me doing 60 in an 80 zone. I was tempted to give it a go and overtake, but I could only see 500m ahead 😄….

All good gents, don’t get too irate over the engine power - it won’t get modified, it will stay a cruiser and I will relearn fritzelhund’s road craft…. That’s half the fun! And holding up drivers behind you on hill climbs 😬👍

😂😂😂👍

Overtaking…. I did that yesterday! But it was on a 4 lane motorway… took me a fair way to do it 😂.
I did some overtaking in my DS only last week, flew past them like they were hardly moving!🚜

I almost overtook in my 425cc 2CV once.

I came up behind a road grader, and followed him for a few km through winding curves, then I saw my chance up ahead...... a 1.5km straight......
But, as I lined him up, backed off a bit to make acceleration space.......
He turned of onto a side road......

Installed my EngineGuard temp gauge today. The sender is on the head. Nicely tucked away in the glovebox. Was sitting at a max of 70 around town. It records the highest temperature and one can then set the alarm point. Also ordered a digital speedo, just to be sure. The cops are too plentiful in Victoria.

A9517E71-DAD5-4644-BD35-F4F0A418CAAD.jpeg