• Tapatalk and Mobile iOS/ Android APPs no longer supported on aussiefrogs.com. Please delete on your device. Use the web interface instead.

My new challenge - 1964 ID19F Safari

badabec

Member
Yes, saw that. With the double angle bracket I was given I will be able to move the bolt hole just that little bit further out so that the hole (and therefore the nut) is between the outer closing panel and the outer sill panel that I can access from underneath. Your spot is between the inner and outer sill plates, difficult to access. Will play with it and take some photos.
You could use a 30mm hole saw, weld a plate with the nut in position then weld the hole up again.
 

bleudanube

Member
Time for an update after a few weeks of Sunday fiddling. Finished the rear left corner and have started on the final area, the front left sill and floor.

The rear came up ok, it was after all a tad easier than the right hand rear.

4B39B076-4FDA-4D96-A41A-A4892D9AB23F.jpeg
90951291-A020-4E6E-86A8-F47C2C6630CA.jpeg
B377466F-FC98-4AF0-B855-4CFC90355414.jpeg


The front floor and sill area needs the most work of all - foot rest panel, seat panel, inner and both outer sills, the whole jacking point with inner strengthening bracket, floor section and finally the strengthening plate...

So over the past weekends I replaced a section of the seat floor and the foot rest panel. Started with a cardboard template and then made up the panels and welded them in place.

09B6BF5A-BE1F-4DF3-B480-E8758B034420.jpeg
4BEA0738-2870-448B-A2E6-734556B8A345.jpeg
A1AAAA60-224D-49AE-A6C6-4657DC4C4D76.jpeg
582BD666-0284-4573-B610-B4739F618ED3.jpeg


Then onto the inner sill and the jacking point bracket. Welding the sill in from the inside meant less grinding for once... phew.

B06FF6D0-FD6D-486D-9F8B-D81352BD8FFA.jpeg
9662A00C-48F8-47D4-B0D9-75001EC310EA.jpeg
2DBF94E7-5501-4392-9D43-376075284086.jpeg


A few more weeks and it should be finished.

Sven
 

bleudanube

Member
So close! I can see the end in sight!

After two days of solid work I have a floor again - woohoo! Finished the jacking point, the internal bracket took a bit of persuading to get the fit right... too many wonky angles to battle.

11BE1FE6-39A2-485C-AACC-F5D61448C28E.jpeg
333C0403-E504-4054-91F3-258A26DBE591.jpeg
70D4BC49-AFA8-4A2D-96BD-E9AEFE8E07F0.jpeg
D1BC5112-EB84-49F5-BB31-164447CC12C5.jpeg


Then the inner and outer outer sill were reasonably straight forward, cut the holes for the jacking stand et al with a die grinder. Still need to tidy up all the welds - next weekend job. There is still a lot of grinding left...

201F25F5-8C7F-4AB3-BA68-DD088C30AB8E.jpeg
CD4500FE-6D78-45FE-9361-2129D792A55E.jpeg
9C752154-F491-4C22-8D0A-6ACB7CC96FE4.jpeg
A1026FDD-15D4-439F-A98B-69183C12ED69.jpeg


Then the final masterpiece - the remaining floor panel. It fit like a glove and looks fantastic. It is such a relief to end up at this point after over a year of fiddling with the car. I am estimating that I have spent probably 400hrs on the chassis to date.

8EF48275-E1A4-4FD1-B3E2-AB524581301D.jpeg
C701A969-4FFD-4C24-BAAF-0415FAD2222E.jpeg


There are a few small areas to finish, then onto the filler work to tidy up some of the welded areas that will be visible and then seam sealing and underbody protection.
 

bleudanube

Member
Finally! After months of cutting, welding and grinding the heavy lifting on the chassis has been completed! What a relief. Thought I never get there...

The floor looks really good, especially after tidying up the last of the underbody remnants.
6D79696C-3C41-4340-8208-15817C665495.jpeg
FC50A602-7387-41E2-AFD5-32FD5AC79BEB.jpeg
7546156A-CB1E-4149-82D4-9ED93E8AB60E.jpeg


So I started on the next job: some of the areas where I welded in panels using the lap joint method I need to use some filler to smooth out the joins. Even though it will all be covered by carpets or vinyl - it needs to look right.

Also started using seam sealer on some of the joins. Using being Teroson caulking sealer and then use a small brush to level it out and make it look a bit like the tar-like stuff the French used in 1964.

1339B939-710E-4CD8-84B0-AAF88B437E57.jpeg
88A73C09-2CFC-4403-A45C-57A35C69A4C5.jpeg


Also thought it might be quite cute to put a few before and after shots up: here the jacking point before (or what was left of it) and after.

EE73FEE4-A6C5-4CB1-BF05-5774A8144DB6.jpeg
00C73586-BF74-43C4-A08C-F24055D28EB5.jpeg
E67748C5-AFEF-4C25-A30D-CF6B3FD14F53.jpeg

06AC97D0-3E09-4291-8921-63FDA6AE944B.jpeg


Bit of a difference ...

Sven
 

bleudanube

Member
Another before and after - this time the front floor. Here what it looked like before: in some areas I had four layers of “floors” to cut out.

D895E061-0551-4887-A7A2-7200B2689A95.jpeg
F6A74A53-AE61-4A1C-9444-A0702B81E3BF.jpeg
50A1E27B-1002-4E28-8A84-B4667C0855CC.jpeg
CAE12271-CB8C-4F87-987E-F08DECF24987.jpeg


A little better now:

FE34C939-F738-42E4-A74E-96D726AD2D28.jpeg
B1A1E39E-9A4E-4FEF-AFB4-A8842F1B3AF7.jpeg


Rewarding....

Sven
 

Top