My mongrel J4R

Matthew

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
My revenge, maggots pistons, new rings, honed and new bearings. A lick of paint and here we have it.

Getting it big brothers exhaust manifold too, I have the downpipe so off to the exhaust shop it goes.

j4r mongrel.jpg

I hope you're not using anything other than standard cams with those pistons. I'm happy to cut them deeper if you send them down.

Standard cams of course, kind offer Peter, would I then need an after market ecu? 10.4 to 10.8 plus 3 thou off the deck.

I did carefully search about this before doing it, I note you commented that standard cams only and the ecu can cope with this.

Yes, XU10J4R's don't have any spare fuel in the maps.

Thanks will be an interesting outcome!

Is it ever going to be running in a car ? 😉

Of course going back into the convertible. not this weekend as hoist is not here,

Cheeky p.

Last edited:
Today to save the heater pipes from the headers. Will also do the aircon pipes to save them as well, then some foil for the firewall. That will tame it.

For Cam, you can see its well and truly back in, almost ready t go. Its slow work by yourself with a full time job..

Interestingly the exhaust system has a joiner in the neck which if it was removed would work on the headers, some markets must get them or the system is common between the gti6 and the convertible.
heater pipes.jpg

Last edited:
Very good! Ive just put a motor back in and forgot the heat shield! Doing a similar thing to help it..
Good stuff, I knew you had it in you. Get the Fing 205 going now!! Haha

Cam

It runs, albeit open loop and very load, the exhaust to tidy up and mate to the headers so the O2 sensor can go in again and gearbox oil too.

Running nicely but with a lifter tick, how to fix that? Thankfully its not a piston! J4r exhaust to j4rs system is not that hard.

Both but it seems to go away when running, that might just be the engine noise, noticeable with bonnet up, having said that more so when cold? Bear in mind its not being run hard as its effectively a new engine. Just been thorygh the shiop for two bent valves and a three angle grind, could a very small bend be missed? It would surprise me if so?

In better news the exhaust is now fully in, got a slighly better sound to it. Little bit of blow by inthe oil cap but its only got 40km on it.

My GTi6 has been sitting for a while during lock down and having replaced the timing belt. It had a mighty tick about it. Didn’t disappear for a while until I got it to temp. I reckon once the lifter bled it was good as gold. Try running it to temp + a few revs

Compression test will tell you?
Also had noisy lifters in a j4r and a few revs when hot + fresh oil sorted it.

Thanks my thoughts as well, head shop did warn they were not all filled correctly, it has very fresh oil in it but trying not too rev it hard.

Cam what sort of noise? This is a distinct tick at cam speed on one cylinder.

Last edited:
I had lifter tick and also low comp on 1 cylinder. I ran some seafoam through the motor as I was sure it was fine and perhaps something blocking a valve to shut. After seafoam it was fine for compression and cleared out whatever was in there causing the lack of comp. Lifter tick went away about a week later which Im aware had nothing to do with the seafoam. My recent S16 build had tick for 15mins when first running in the cams. I assembled the lifters myself and filled them all correctly (as good as I knew how!) and they still made some noise until they were hot and cold.