My Fuego has a built in rainwater tank!

vivid

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi guys,

Only noticed it this morning, and I was already running late for work, but I heard a weird noise that sounded like my petrol cap was slamming shut every time I accelerated.

To my amazement, it was the sound of my petrol can in the boot compartment that holds the jack etc, bobbing around in 1/2 a foot of water.

I can't really work out where the water has got into the car.

Is this a common thing in fuegos? None of my others had this prob.

David.

When I read the subject line I could have sworn I was going to hear a tale of woe regarding the plenum chamber drain pipe blocking up.

I've never heard of the issue you describe! Is it possible that there is water leaking around the fixing points for the external plastic mouldings under the glass line?

vivid said:
Hi guys,

Only noticed it this morning, and I was already running late for work, but I heard a weird noise that sounded like my petrol cap was slamming shut every time I accelerated.

To my amazement, it was the sound of my petrol can in the boot compartment that holds the jack etc, bobbing around in 1/2 a foot of water.

I can't really work out where the water has got into the car.

Is this a common thing in fuegos? None of my others had this prob.

David.

I had this problem some time ago and in my case it was water leaking into the car through the right hand tail light seal under the trim. I took it off and a skim of sealer cured the problem.

JYD

Thanks guys,

I will have to get the hose out and do a spray test.

Thanks for suggestions guys.. will let you know, and maybe add it to the common faults section.

Vivid

Of Six fuego's, I only had one that used to get damp in that area and it was leakage through the rear lamp unit, fairly easy fix with sealer.

The rear hatches occasionally leak past the glass, and that can become a problem if it rusts the inner frame particularly in the area of the pads that hold the hatch lock. I have had one that was fairly weak through rust and was a problem as it would bend as you shut the hatch and not lock down. Solved that problem by first cleaning out the old sealant from the frame using a piece of shim (Thin Flat steel) and blowing all the residue out with compressed air, then put a good quality black non hardening sealant tamped down into the space between the frame and the glass and finished off with some black silastic for a flexible seal.

To stop the lock plate bending back I got a piece of flat rubber (like the stuff the use as exhaust hangers) and jammed this between the plate and the glass and this seemed to eliminate the problem.

If you don't stop water leaking through the hatch glass seal, you will notice that the black outer material of the hatch will develop lumps, as sure sign that rust is growing on the frame. There is not much steel in the Hatch frame and if it rusts away you may as well go out to Pick - a -Part and buy a (bump free) replacement. If you are removing the rear hatch for any reason have a good look at the bolts that hold the hinge as occasionally water can wick in there and rust things, bit of sealant and paint will fix that.

Vivid how is your car going, have you got Martins ex on the road or still working on the engine upgrade of the other.

Ken.

Thanks for the info guys.

Ken; re Martins car, I haven't registered it yet, but I would say its not far off.

The engine seems a little smoky, and there is a bit of an exhaust leak, but besides that seems fairly neat. I am not sure which car I am going to ultimately drive, but I may consider suspending the rego on original fuego, and registering Martins.

I never did end up taking the head off that engine, and ended up replacing the water pump and dropping it all back together. I took the head off again this weekend, and I plan to send it off to be examined, cleaned and maybe shaved. I still have a fresh gasket kit ready to go, so hopefully the fuego wont be off the road for too long.

David.

If all else fails, just make a hole to let the water out. Just make it big enough to let the water out faster than it can leak in.

Ren
:cheers:

I had a quick look this evening, and it looks like the indicator seal.

Even after I seal it up, I think I will add a hole to let the water out.

David.