My Brand New Second Hand Koleos.

I also know that odometers were able to be "adjusted" by Renault software and I had to take that up with our local then Renault dealer, whose staff initially claimed that they could not adjust the distance travel, as "factory set" but as I proved quite dramatically the present setting of the Laguna was gobbling up the generous warranty extension I had paid for. (I still have the log of readings made point to point on each outing over 3 months) The error was quite substantial and reducing the warranty period (KM travelled)

I made no claims other than "it needed fixing" and it was done quite quickly in the dealers workshop and is still quite accurate to the present day... and that "experience" got me into a good habit of logging the trips km's completed and fuel purchased etc. Helps when you keep good records. Probably a family trait as I have found when clearing up family err record keeping accumulations..:)

Ken:)

What does one set a speed limiter at? Never used one.

If you are a regular contributor to your state's revenue via speeding fines or are worried that your driving habits may encourage you to be I'd suggest the speed limiter is just for you. What do you set it at? How about the speed limit that is applicable to where you are? The speed limiter is set and adjusted in exactly the same way your cruise control is, and that is normally set by the driver to the legal speed limit. In fact, in both the RX4 (to which I fitted an aftermarket cruise control kit) and the Koleos I have used the cruise control in metropolitan traffic with no troubles whatsoever, adjusting the speed up and down with the button/s as required. The same can be done with the speed limiter, which will mostly stop your intelligent vehicle system from warning you that you are travelling faster than the speed limit although you have to depress the accelerator pedal to get to the limit speed you have set, which is why I use cruise control instead!

If you are a regular contributor to your state's revenue via speeding fines or are worried that your driving habits may encourage you to be I'd suggest the speed limiter is just for you. What do you set it at? How about the speed limit that is applicable to where you are? The speed limiter is set and adjusted in exactly the same way your cruise control is, and that is normally set by the driver to the legal speed limit. In fact, in both the RX4 (to which I fitted an aftermarket cruise control kit) and the Koleos I have used the cruise control in metropolitan traffic with no troubles whatsoever, adjusting the speed up and down with the button/s as required. The same can be done with the speed limiter, which will mostly stop your intelligent vehicle system from warning you that you are travelling faster than the speed limit although you have to depress the accelerator pedal to get to the limit speed you have set, which is why I use cruise control instead!
OK, That is interesting that the Speed Limiter can be changed on the run, I've always thought they were a set & forget speed.
I've been looking through the Owners Manual (I know that is a bit "out there") and working out the differences between Overspeed Alert and Speed Limiter operation.
The beauty of the Overspeed Alert is that, on these new models (if not before), the current speed limit is being read from road signage by the camera in the windscreen, as well as the programmed speed limits in the Sat Nav. This, to me, means it should be telling ME what the limit is, because they change up & down so regularly, which is good. The book refers to adjusting the limit/warning and I will give that a try next time on the road - nothing happens in the garage so maybe it needs to be driving.
Cheers.

I use the cruise everywhere. Speed cameras, school zones, highways - everywhere. Click it up 2km/h, click it down 5km/h - easy. Drive to Melbourne from Sydney just using the cruise - done.

Speed limiter is useless. I've never found a use for it. It doesn't stop you pressing the pedal too hard, and it doesn't control your speed. You're still just pressing the pedal like you would be normally.

Cheers

Justin

................Speed limiter is useless. I've never found a use for it. It doesn't stop you pressing the pedal too hard, and it doesn't control your speed. You're still just pressing the pedal like you would be normally.

Cheers

Justin

That is not so in the 2008 Koleos. It doesn't matter how hard you press the pedal, the vehicle will not exceed your preset limit speed on the level. Yours must be broken! :)

On the L:atitude the limiter is usless as far as I am concerned. It just causes the motor to run badly but still keeps up any speed. So I still have to watch the speedo. No value to me.

I tried the Speed Limiter in the new Koleos today. It works as it should, it did not go over the set limit even if I pushed the accelerator further. According to the book, I should be able to overide it in emergency, I guess that means if you push the pedal down hard, but I did not try that.
I think it would suit someone who doesn't use cruise control, but I didn't find it useful, I am used to using cruise control regularly, and the Koleos is quite good to reset the cruise when speed limit changes.

My only beef is the Overspeed Warning beeps loudly basically just as I reach the speed limit, taking into account the speedo inaccuracy of 4%. I would like to just raise that warning a little, or reduce the volume, but don't think either can be adjusted, but I can turn it off if I get sick of it.
Or I can just accept that it is not an Overspeed but a speed limit warning, which I don't mind, because the few low level infringements I have had over the years have been where the limit has changed unnoticed by myself.

I too think you can only turn the speed sign camera warning buzzer either on or off from the "driver assistance" menu through "speed alert" settings, although the current speed limit is still displayed on the navigation screen and will flash if you "overspeed"!

My only beef is the Overspeed Warning beeps loudly basically just as I reach the speed limit, taking into account the speedo inaccuracy of 4%. I would like to just raise that warning a little, or reduce the volume, but don't think either can be adjusted, but I can turn it off if I get sick of it.
Or I can just accept that it is not an Overspeed but a speed limit warning, which I don't mind, because the few low level infringements I have had over the years have been where the limit has changed unnoticed by myself.

OK, I think I've got this covered now. :D I just accept it is telling me I've reached the limit, not over-speeding - it's all in the name.
And now I've trained the wife to ignore the beep, it just means I'm at the speed limit, all is well.
It's also beeping less now that I'm getting used to the CVT "over-run" and backing off slightly before I normally would.
It only gets annoying now on Cruise Control at or just below the limit, with the slight variation in speed on gradients it gives a beep, just learning to ignore that, I don't want to turn it OFF, as I do appreciate it reminding me of the limit in the location, as we have some silly local limit variations here in strange places.
Cheers.

I use the cruise everywhere. Speed cameras, school zones, highways - everywhere. Click it up 2km/h, click it down 5km/h - easy. Drive to Melbourne from Sydney just using the cruise - done.

Speed limiter is useless. I've never found a use for it. It doesn't stop you pressing the pedal too hard, and it doesn't control your speed. You're still just pressing the pedal like you would be normally.

Cheers

Justin
In my koleos, the speed limiter was never used and I too thought it was useless…..until I found the right road to use it on.
the road which sold me was west of Goulburn and one of those country single lane roads you‘d be capable of doing 160+ in a hot hatch. Gentle rolling hills with long straights interrupted by little hilly bits with corners that with the family on board were a bit curly to sit on the speed limit 100kmh.
Then there were cops here and there.
Using cruise controll would scare everyone in the corners and the computer just didn’t quite get it.
so I was on and off the cc.
With the limiter on I could still anticipate the corners, lift off a little and slow her down, then push the pedal up to the stop and let the computer back it off at the speed limit.
Wihout this I just found myself using way too much concentration calming my inner hoon, watching the speedo And listening to the whinging from all the back seat drivers!

Still got no demerit points

With a bit of fine weather today, I had a chance to fit a couple of extras I recently bought for the Koleos, things that I find useful, even necessary, but I know that's a personal taste.

I do like a set of roof racks, one that can be removed and replaced quickly, for that occasional run to Bunnings to pick up some pipe or something, or carry a ladder around. And I have a Thule roof box. These ones are Prorack, the bars are set S16 and the Koleos fitting kit is K1051. Got the bars on a Supercheap special for $250 so they aren't cheap. The fitting kit was $80 and was about 4 weeks coming into stock. They are a bit of a work of art in their bracket design, and well made, took me a couple of hours to get it setup, but now only about 10 minutes to remove or refit.

The door window slimline weathershields are genuine Renault accessory, part no. 8201665630 about $120. Very quick and easy to install yourself, just follow instructions to get them right the first time, I think the adhesive is pretty hard to remove once on, it's a double sided tape. 3 shields each side, the back one is purely aesthetic, they look unobtrusive, and do the job. Nice to have the window down a bit when parked, even when it's raining, and can get a bit of airflow for demisting better when driving along.

IMG_20210812_175201690_red.jpg
IMG_20210812_175222550_red.jpg
IMG_20210812_175240580_red.jpg

Next, I need to get a towbar - already missing the ability to hook up the trailer for those odd jobs and pick ups.

The Koleos is starting to grow on me now.

Cheers.

Last edited:
door window slimline weathershields are genuine Renault accessory
wonder if they have them for the Latitude, summer rain is PITA with modern gutterless cars.... or.... making sure the windows are closed BEFORE using the screen washer... :)
Bob

wonder if they have them for the Latitude, summer rain is PITA with modern gutterless cars.... or.... making sure the windows are closed BEFORE using the screen washer... :)
Bob
I don't see why not. There might even be a few around in stock left over from the main selling period, sometimes these sort of things get cheaper for stock clearance purposes (or just thrown in the bin :mad:).
Next time I'm going past my dealer I will find out - I'm probably (definitely) a bit closer than you are.
Probably similar non-genuine on line somewhere too.
Cheers.

Reactions: bob
Modern car climate control systems have for me, anyway, completely removed the need to open a window when driving apart from ordering beer at a drive-inn or perhaps speaking to a member of the constabulary on the side of the road. Considering most now have ultra efficient filtration systems and enormous air flow capacity together with the fact that open windows increase fuel consumption, using the cars climate control system instead is a no-brainer. My Koleos is charcoal coloured, but at the height of summer it only takes a minute of so to reduce the cabin temperature to bearable before making it cold enough to shiver. The 2008 Koleos chilled glovebox holds and will keep cold a dozen cans of soft drink, as well. ;)

Modern car climate control systems have for me, anyway, completely removed the need to open a window when driving apart from ordering beer at a drive-inn or perhaps speaking to a member of the constabulary on the side of the road. Considering most now have ultra efficient filtration systems and enormous air flow capacity together with the fact that open windows increase fuel consumption, using the cars climate control system instead is a no-brainer. My Koleos is charcoal coloured, but at the height of summer it only takes a minute of so to reduce the cabin temperature to bearable before making it cold enough to shiver. The 2008 Koleos chilled glovebox holds and will keep cold a dozen cans of soft drink, as well. ;)
Should that finish off ...if you are Lucky...

I wonder about all the modern add ons A chilled Glove box? surely there are other more important do dads!? Sounds like a good replacement vehicle though Chris, enjoy it.

Ken;)

Should that finish off ...if you are Lucky...

I wonder about all the modern add ons A chilled Glove box? surely there are other more important do dads!? Sounds like a good replacement vehicle though Chris, enjoy it.

Ken;)

The output from the A/C on the Koleos has to go right past the glovebox to get to the LHS dash vent. A hole let into the side of the glovebox with a sliding cover controls how much chilled air goes into the glovebox, which, as it will also hold two bottles of white wine, is just another practical French accessory! ;)

The output from the A/C on the Koleos has to go right past the glovebox to get to the LHS dash vent. A hole let into the side of the glovebox with a sliding cover controls how much chilled air goes into the glovebox, which, as it will also hold two bottles of white wine, is just another practical French accessory! ;)
I know my Koleos has that feature (a/c vent) into the centre console cup holder area, I'll have to check if the glovebox has it.

Fordman,
I fitted the chrome style weather shields on my 2019 Meissen blue Zen. They look good. Weren’t too hard to fit as you say. And took no more than 15-20 mins if that - and that was being very slow and deliberate. I had a quote for my dealer to fit them and I think it was twice the cost of buying them from memory!

I can’t recall if yours is 4wd or 2wd (mines 2wd). The 2wd is not a fantastic tow vehicle in my opinion but friends who have the 4wd intens both claim theirs is much better. If I had had the money at the time I’d have got a 4wd sunroof’d version of what I have now.

I can’t recall if yours is 4wd or 2wd (mines 2wd). The 2wd is not a fantastic tow vehicle in my opinion but friends who have the 4wd intens both claim theirs is much better. If I had had the money at the time I’d have got a 4wd sunroof’d version of what I have now.

Mine is also 2WD. I don't intend to maximise the towing load, more for convenience with a 6 x 4, but at least it has the legal capacity to tow a reasonable mass, should I ever need it for a short while.

More than adequate for that - unless it’s on wet grass up hill - don’t ask!

I’ve mainly been towing a two wheeled tilt car trailer with an R8 or R10 on board so maybe 1500kg max but usually a few hundred kilos less.