My Brand New Second Hand Koleos.

Your figures seem reasonable. Mine’s a 2019 Zen 2.5 cvt with just over 16k from new on the odo.

67A6B07D-2F5D-4E60-AC53-37CC91EC38F0.jpeg

Attachments

• 6FC2725F-D841-493A-BA43-4675F13F2BDD.jpeg
    6FC2725F-D841-493A-BA43-4675F13F2BDD.jpeg
    734 KB · Views: 90
Your figures seem reasonable. Mine’s a 2019 Zen 2.5 cvt with just over 16k from new on the odo.
Are you using ECO mode much, if at all? Just interested, I ran a tank on non ECO now I'm running ECO for this tank and my score soon jumped to 70/100 but it may be because I reset the average l/100kms which I do at every fuel fill.

In post #21 above, IWS feels car runs well with ECO on all the time, I have noticed the slower feeling acceleration but it just might be smoother, still gets up to urban speed limit OK. I'll see what difference in fuel consumption it brings.

As an aside, my trip computer was telling me average of 9.4 l/100kms (at 24.5 avg km/hr), but actual consumption was 10.9 (371 kms, 40.5 litres), so I don't rely on the trip computer for accurate consumption. But that is typical across all makes and models I have owned or driven. However, it is probably a good comparative indication from trip to trip.

Cheers.

Much to amusement of one of my friends, I set and forget. I run it all the time on that setting. The only reason the kms shown are lower than actual may be because they disconnected the battery for service perhaps?

I should add I’ve towed a car trailer a few times with either an R8 or P206 on the back, and mostly done short hops so that may account for the difference in our figures.

Just catching up to align the Renault service schedule to the book (do the things the used car dealer who sold it did not) - today I changed the engine air filter as scheduled at 30k kms.
I have to say, that I haven't changed an EASIER air filter since the old single wing nut type. Looked at it for a minute or two, then realized the centre duct section lifts/slides out UPWARDS by releasing 3 plastic clips. Then 2 metal clips on the actual filter box, and the cover hinges forward allowing removal of the filter through the top. Took me longer to go inside and get the handheld vacuum cleaner to suck out the loose stuff on the "dirty" side than to change the filter. 10 minutes tops. Kudos to Koleos!
Now for the cabin filter which looks a bit harder.
Note this is a 2.5 petrol version.

IMG_20210725_164258254_red.jpg
IMG_20210725_164342378_red.jpg

IMG_20210725_164533745_red.jpg

IMG_20210725_170439572_red.jpg

Welcome to the "new" (late model) Koleos group.
Being a pre-owned car, most of the electronic selections should be adjusted reasonably well already, but the grandson may be helpful in setting up your PC to connect with R-Link and updating the GPS etc with a USB stick - all in the R-Link manual supplied.
I find with the Koleos that the basic functions are still manual, eg, heating and vent controls are simple push buttons, just need to learn the icons for identification. The fan speed adjust is nice, just touch the led display or the small/large fan icon at each end.
There are many personal settings you can make or change later on. I've eliminated all previous Bluetooth phones that have remained in memory, I like the instrument panel option of large digital speed number with "analogue type" tachometer needle, and only GPS and Radio options on central screen.
I found setting up the central screen was made more difficult by the book combining all types of screen into the same chapter. Note firstly the type of display you have, then keep that in mind as you work through it. But it all makes sense if you take your time.
One of the first things I have made myself learn, is the trip computer control on rhs steering wheel, the small rocker switch. I reset my trip meter each fuel fill, to track consumption accurately. Fairly intuitive, select trip meter reading and hold down the OK button until it stops flashing and resets to zero.
In the trip computer display also comes up any notifications. Ours had "Replace Key Card Battery" which I did but the notification remained. Hidden in the Owner's manual, reset similar to trip meter, hold OK button while message displayed, it flashes and goes off. The batteries out of the key cards still measured above 3 volts, so the message is probably date based, not actually measuring the output of the key card. Changing the key card batteries was easy, no problem (CR2032 battery - 1 in each card).
Oh, and if they are not already fitted in yours, I bought genuine Renault floor mats which hook into the hooks under the front seats to stop slipping. The mats are good fitting and fairly plush, feel good to tread on. I got a grey colour, a bit lighter than the general interior. There was a 5th mat in the pack, to cover the centre hump in the back floor - I couldn't make it sit well and will probably use it for my grandies cubby house!
Enjoy the new machine.
Cheers.
Thanks Fordman, I (or actually my grandson) got most things sorted. The only thing that had him (and me) stumped so far was how to turn the bloody stereo off. You can switch to the AUX input and that will stop the radio but the stereo is still on.
I found the R-Links maps were a bit out of date, even though they were the latest download. But the Apple Car-play works so I can use the Google maps on the I-phone if I need to go somewhere that the R-Link maps don't cover correctly.
I don't expect to know how to work all the functions straight away, just the important ones.

I have the factory floor mats, I would have bought them if they weren't already fitted. Definitely need a boot liner. Everything slides around in the boot.

A few preliminary things I noted that aren't on this Koleos but were on the previous Koleos;
No sensors in the door handles to unlock the doors, unlock buttons fitted to front doors only.
Back seat tilt is not adjustable.
No hatch in the back seat armrest for long objects (I have used this).
Front seat doesn't fold flat, again for long objects.
Cargo hooks in the boot are on the floor only.
No storage bins in the rear floor.
No lidded storage bins in the door armrests but does have the open map/bottle storage in the doors. (I might be one of the few people on the planet that use all the storage bins).

But overall, I'm pleased with the car
My daughter was very impressed with the park assist, she wants to swap her X-Trail for the Koleos. I politely declined.

Cheers
RTT

On the Latitude the radio is off when the volume control knob is turned down. The bottom of the screen shows a "00". Perhaps the Koleos is the same. Same factory so probably.

yep, latitude, we can't turn the thing off either. The volume knob depresses like a toggle action but doesn't do anything - car radios have worked this way since, well, time began, but not for Renault.... :)
Bob

I need to test the speedo against a separate TomTom GPS because like most new cars I'm pretty sure it is reading well over. (I was going to say like most new Euro cars, but this thing is of course made in Korea). I
I have a TomTom GPS in mine and it shows 5kph below the speed indicated by the central display. I'm trusting the GPS rather than the inbuilt speedo.

Ian.

I have a TomTom GPS in mine and it shows 5kph below the speed indicated by the central display. I'm trusting the GPS rather than the inbuilt speedo.

Ian.

Try an odometer check like we used to before a Rally. Pull up at a kilometer post, reset your trip odo to zero and proceed to another kilometer post 10 or 15km up the road. The posts are placed by measurement. Note the discrepancy then calculate what your odo's distance error is. As your speedo is calibrated to the same distance you can work out how fast or slow your speedo is. GPS speed is not measured constantly but is an average of the time intervals set in the instrument and is not infallible, as a track of your trip will show many deviations from the actual road.

Reactions: IWS

Ian.
I had a Peugeot Authorised Mechanic once tell me Peugeot deliberately calibrate their speedos to read about 3km/h faster than actual velocity. I assume Renault is similar.

I had a Peugeot Authorised Mechanic once tell me Peugeot deliberately calibrate their speedos to read about 3km/h faster than actual velocity. I assume Renault is similar.
The Peugeot setting can be changed in Diagbox. The T7 308 was set @ 4km/h, the T9 308 is set @ 3km/h. I've GPS tested the speedo several times and it's spot on at that adjustment. I was going to change it to zero but just decided to leave it that way for the sake of the next owner. We know we can set the cruise @ 104km/h and be doing an actual 100 on the motorway.

Cheers

Justin

My Latitude's actual speed is 4 kilometres per hour less than the speedo reading at 100 KPH. I set cruise at 104 as well.

My Latitude's actual speed is 4 kilometres per hour less than the speedo reading at 100 KPH. I set cruise at 104 as well.

Same here with the new Koleos, just tested this morning with TomTom GPS, maybe 3.5 - 4 kph difference, hard to tell with 2 digital readouts.
I tested on an outer suburban main road, very open with long straight sections. Interesting that the 4 kph difference is the same at 50kph or 100 kph. The old analog speedometers generally varied in proportion, eg, 2 kph at 50 would be 4 kph at 100.

I wonder if I can change the warning tolerance, it's now beeping at me 1 kph over the limit, a bit annoying, with the natural fluctuations in driving in traffic.

As I said, the Peugeot difference is set as a straight number, not a percentage and can be changed as desired. I've never looked in Renault Clip to see if it can be changed.

Cheers

Justin

Same here with the new Koleos, just tested this morning with TomTom GPS, maybe 3.5 - 4 kph difference, hard to tell with 2 digital readouts.
I tested on an outer suburban main road, very open with long straight sections. Interesting that the 4 kph difference is the same at 50kph or 100 kph. The old analog speedometers generally varied in proportion, eg, 2 kph at 50 would be 4 kph at 100.

I wonder if I can change the warning tolerance, it's now beeping at me 1 kph over the limit, a bit annoying, with the natural fluctuations in driving in traffic.

Why don't you set and utilise the speed limiter, then? It's not infallible down steep hills but it works on the flat!

Why don't you set and utilise the speed limiter, then? It's not infallible down steep hills but it works on the flat!
What does one set a speed limiter at? Never used one. Maybe on an interstate trip I would set it to 115kph to stop the speed creeping up.

I'm referring to the warning based on the car's internal GPS which "knows" the speed limit in the area, so it varies all the time. It seems to beep when the indicated speed is 5 kph over the limit, but as we have been discussing that is in reality only 1 kph over.

I'm going to see if I can vary the volume of the individual warnings. That overspeed beep is loud enough to wake the wife, but the lane drift warning is so quiet I am not sure yet if that is what the slight rumbling noise is, and that is one I would prefer to hear.

When I had the Laguna speedo checked on the Ford Factory dyno (to ISO standards) it was reading 6km faster at 100 kph, which is quite a large "safety factor" it was also checked at the popular speed ranges and was pretty consistent in the over reading, so for our use a cruise control setting of plus 4 kph at all ranges seems a good choice, to avoid contributing to the State community fund, and I use the stopwatch and Highway km markers to check after fitting new tyres "just in case" as I would recommend with the Koleos as well. Helps tune up the mental driver awareness of the speed your vehicle is doing, without constantly watching the speedo.:)

Ken

I have the factory floor mats, I would have bought them if they weren't already fitted. Definitely need a boot liner. Everything slides around in the boot.

A few preliminary things I noted that aren't on this Koleos but were on the previous Koleos;
No sensors in the door handles to unlock the doors, unlock buttons fitted to front doors only.
Back seat tilt is not adjustable.
No hatch in the back seat armrest for long objects (I have used this).
Front seat doesn't fold flat, again for long objects.
Cargo hooks in the boot are on the floor only.
No storage bins in the rear floor.
No lidded storage bins in the door armrests but does have the open map/bottle storage in the doors. (I might be one of the few people on the planet that use all the storage bins).

RTT

Agree with the boot liner, the standard "carpet" is super slippery. I got some Bunnings carpet off a roll for my Territory and it worked very well. Plus anything like that helps reduce noise. The carpet was black with a soft, low pile. Unfortunately, the offcut is about 20mm too small for the Koleos. I think it was a 2metre wide roll and I bought a metre or 1.5 metres.

Check your back seats, mine have 2 positions for tilt, standard and about 40mm further tilt. Just lift the lever again.

And yes, not that good for storage bins, I miss the drawer under the driver's seat, which was in the Scenic and the Territory, very handy.

Chris.

When I had the Laguna speedo checked on the Ford Factory dyno (to ISO standards) it was reading 6km faster at 100 kph, which is quite a large "safety factor" it was also checked at the popular speed ranges and was pretty consistent in the over reading, so for our use a cruise control setting of plus 4 kph at all ranges seems a good choice, to avoid contributing to the State community fund, and I use the stopwatch and Highway km markers to check after fitting new tyres "just in case" as I would recommend with the Koleos as well. Helps tune up the mental driver awareness of the speed your vehicle is doing, without constantly watching the speedo.:)

Ken

Try an odometer check like we used to before a Rally. Pull up at a kilometer post, reset your trip odo to zero and proceed to another kilometer post 10 or 15km up the road. The posts are placed by measurement. Note the discrepancy then calculate what your odo's distance error is. As your speedo is calibrated to the same distance you can work out how fast or slow your speedo is. GPS speed is not measured constantly but is an average of the time intervals set in the instrument and is not infallible, as a track of your trip will show many deviations from the actual road.

I agree the highway markers are good for odometer (distance) checking, but having a good independent GPS is streets ahead for speed checking. Unlike Kim L., I do trust the modern GPS speed in a straight line, but wouldn't rely on it in say the CBD with tall buildings.
This morning, I was able to check the speedo at 50, 60 and 100 within about 10 minutes. Just set cruise control to stabilise the speed and check it against the GPS.

Also, I don't agree that the odometer and speedo are synced to each other. Our Scenic is 8% fast in the speedo and about 5% over in the odometer. Measured with highway markers and stopwatch I might add :D , some years ago before I had a TomTom. But that is an analogue speedo with a digital odometer. Kim, maybe you had a Halda in the rally car?, which would have been nicely calibrated to each other.

I think the trouble with the regulations on speedos, is that now with digital/electrical speedos, we can make them very accurate, but the 10% over regulation means that they are less accurate than 50 years ago.

The main thing is to know what your car's difference is so you can drive at the correct speed for the conditions, keep up with traffic, and not hold up those cars behind you.

Cheers.