My Brand New Second Hand Koleos.

G'day Chris,

bit of poking about, some PDF manuals are still out there...
https://automx.co.za/manuals/renault/KOLEOS/
site is also mentioned in the forum manuals "sticky" thread.

The general.pdf mentions some technical notes, easily found with duck....
http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Espace/vault/JE/6013A_ENGINE_OILS.pdf
http://espacehu.weebly.com/uploads/1/8/3/5/18351945/tn6012a_valtoolaj_spec.pdf
lots more techno stuff but at least a guide to labels.... :)

Some poking about in those two sites might unearth some more useful stuff.

cheers,
Bob

G'day Chris,
bit of poking about, some PDF manuals are still out there...
Some poking about in those two sites might unearth some more useful stuff.
cheers,
Bob

Thanks Bob. Interesting stuff for the older Koleos and our old Scenic, but new Koleos completely different 2016 on.
However, I've pieced together enough info to keep me going now. Just servicing for a few years I hope before anything else materialises.

On a good note, I was checking the procedure to change CVT transmission oil when I decide to do it, maybe at 50000kms (I don't think it is specified) and it seems to be a doable process, and guess what - it actually has a DIPSTICK / filler tube like the old autos. Just so much easier than the under car level plug. That's a plus point for Koleos.

I'm getting used to the beeping at me, mainly when it momentarily hits 5 km/h over the speed limit gleaned from the GPS. I need to test the speedo against a separate TomTom GPS because like most new cars I'm pretty sure it is reading well over. (I was going to say like most new Euro cars, but this thing is of course made in Korea). I finally had to speak sharply to the wife, that I heard the Beep thank you, I don't need you to tell me as well every time.
On that subject, I don't usually exceed the limit so often, and I think it has something to do with the CVT - I reach the speed then back off slightly but the CVT is still changing "up" with speed increasing slightly after I back off. Just something I need to get used to.

On the down side, driver visibility to the right is compromised by the location of the external rv mirror - it's in the lower front corner of the window, and there is no visible gap between the 'A' pillar and the mirror housing. I'm tall enough, but finding I'm having to lift myself in the seat to try to look to the right, it just isn't right. I have noted the new Rav4 and Foresters have the mirror attached to the door panel and sit lower, plus they have a small triangular glass "quarter vent" in the window frame, much better for visibility.

Overall, I'm liking the Koleos to drive and use. One has to accept the CVT feels different to conventional autos, I'll get used to it.

Cheers.

.....................................On the down side, driver visibility to the right is compromised by the location of the external rv mirror - it's in the lower front corner of the window, and there is no visible gap between the 'A' pillar and the mirror housing. I'm tall enough, but finding I'm having to lift myself in the seat to try to look to the right, it just isn't right. I have noted the new Rav4 and Foresters have the mirror attached to the door panel and sit lower, plus they have a small triangular glass "quarter vent" in the window frame, much better for visibility.

Overall, I'm liking the Koleos to drive and use. One has to accept the CVT feels different to conventional autos, I'll get used to it.

Cheers.

There should be a lever on the RH side of the drivers' seat which adjusts the seat height, unless they have removed that facility in the current model. I raise the seat height for better forward vision when travelling on rough tracks.

Aside from the safety systems trying their best to keep me in line by beeping and buzzing, which I can put up with once I know their logics, which are quite interesting and probably useful, the new Koleos also has decided I am not an Eco-Friendly driver. It seems to be measuring acceleration and anticipation (rate of slowing down for traffic lights, stop signs, etc). At the moment I am only getting rated at 65/100, 3 out of 5 stars and with downwards arrows presumably meaning I am on the slippery slope to hell. :D :D
Now I reckon if I accelerated and braked any slower than I am, I would be a danger on the roads, even utes and Corollas beat me off the lights these days. When I picked up the car from the used car dealer, and keeping in mind it was previously a fleet or rental car, the rating was 80/100 with 3.5 and 4 stars for each category.
Now it is possibly connected with the fact I have the CVT set to non-eco mode, as it allows for a few more rpm at a given speed, which IMO is better in traffic, with Eco setting best on the open road. In a post above IWS has advised his similar Koleos drives well in Eco mode, and I will be changing to that after my first tank of fuel, I am continuing as is for comparison purposes. But my thoughts are that Eco mode alone should not be the measure, if my acceleration and braking rates are very much on the average side.
BTW, this is not something which interferes with your driving concentration, it only shows on the screen after a trip. Good for a laugh.
These are today's screens, note the green stars did not show up well in the photos due to their brightness.

IMG_20210716_071516347_red.jpg
IMG_20210716_071715764_red.jpg

I think the 5 bars above represent the last 5 days driving, I had some long suburban runs the day before but I don't remember it giving me a higher score.
Am I an Eco Failure? :mallet: :mallet:

Aside from the safety systems trying their best to keep me in line by beeping and buzzing, which I can put up with once I know their logics, which are quite interesting and probably useful, the new Koleos also has decided I am not an Eco-Friendly driver. It seems to be measuring acceleration and anticipation (rate of slowing down for traffic lights, stop signs, etc). At the moment I am only getting rated at 65/100, 3 out of 5 stars and with downwards arrows presumably meaning I am on the slippery slope to hell. :D :D
Now I reckon if I accelerated and braked any slower than I am, I would be a danger on the roads, even utes and Corollas beat me off the lights these days. When I picked up the car from the used car dealer, and keeping in mind it was previously a fleet or rental car, the rating was 80/100 with 3.5 and 4 stars for each category.
Now it is possibly connected with the fact I have the CVT set to non-eco mode, as it allows for a few more rpm at a given speed, which IMO is better in traffic, with Eco setting best on the open road. In a post above IWS has advised his similar Koleos drives well in Eco mode, and I will be changing to that after my first tank of fuel, I am continuing as is for comparison purposes. But my thoughts are that Eco mode alone should not be the measure, if my acceleration and braking rates are very much on the average side.
BTW, this is not something which interferes with your driving concentration, it only shows on the screen after a trip. Good for a laugh.
These are today's screens, note the green stars did not show up well in the photos due to their brightness.

View attachment 134546View attachment 134547

I think the 5 bars above represent the last 5 days driving, I had some long suburban runs the day before but I don't remember it giving me a higher score.
Am I an Eco Failure? :mallet: :mallet:

I don't think so! I think the system is particularly hard to get a really high score in especially around town. I think 65 is about average, my better half produces the same score in the Megane sedan on her 12km commute into and out of St Kilda Rd during peak hours.

I don't think so! I think the system is particularly hard to get a really high score in especially around town. I think 65 is about average, my better half produces the same score in the Megane sedan on her 12km commute into and out of St Kilda Rd during peak hours.
I don't envy her THAT commute. Interesting posts for which thanks.

Why on earth would you drive a car to st kilda road in peak hour…? That’s masochistic…

Believe it or not, some large businesses have their offices in St Kilda Rd rather than in the CBD. Cheaper rent, easier access for employees........and because it's Melbourne, traffic flows freely 90% of the time. It's usually only slow when rubbernecking interstate tourists are involved....... ;)

Believe it or not, some large businesses have their offices in St Kilda Rd rather than in the CBD. Cheaper rent, easier access for employees........and because it's Melbourne, traffic flows freely 90% of the time. It's usually only slow when rubbernecking interstate tourists are involved....... ;)
I’m familiar with the area, but don’t understand why you would subject yourself to Melbourne traffic when there is a tram out the front that connects with Flinders St station…

I’m familiar with the area, but don’t understand why you would subject yourself to Melbourne traffic when there is a tram out the front that connects with Flinders St station…

One reason is because the trip by car invariably takes 15-25 mins less than train and tram, both of which are unhygienically jam-packed. And a female prefers to avoid the company of the hoi polloi on a train and a tram for 45 minutes by driving to a reserved car park under her work building in her own magnificent 2017 Megane Sedan.

One reason is because the trip by car invariably takes 15-25 mins less than train and tram, both of which are unhygienically jam-packed. And a female prefers to avoid the company of the hoi polloi on a train and a tram for 45 minutes by driving to a reserved car park under her work building in her own magnificent 2017 Megane Sedan.
Whatever floats your boat... I hate driving in Melbourne, waste of a perfectly good car and much prefer the time to read etc on a train with someone else driving. And saving a shit tonne of money...

Last house I had in Melbourne was in Flemington and i worked in the CBD - my car did about 2000-4000kms a year. If I was your wife id convert that car park to cash in my wages.... What does being a "female" have to do with transport preferences?

May be less of an issue with public transport in Canberra? but in places like Melbourne/Sydney the dynamics of public transport use by women is a real issue for concern for many women.
This piece, from The Conversation, has a useful discussion on the issue: Gender makes a world of difference for safety on public transport.

Ian.
Canberra doesn’t really have public transportation , just bloody buses (and one tram line on the other side of town to me. I miss Melbourne’s good system…

May be less of an issue with public transport in Canberra? but in places like Melbourne/Sydney the dynamics of public transport use by women is a real issue for concern for many women.
This piece, from The Conversation, has a useful discussion on the issue: Gender makes a world of difference for safety on public transport.

Ian.

Agreed. Federal Parliament and it's employees don't have a monopoly on inappropriate sexual behaviour.

Canberra doesn’t really have public transportation , just bloody buses (and one tram line on the other side of town to me. I miss Melbourne’s good system…
Yes, I lived in Canberra for 20 years and have memories of long long waits for buses! And the tram, one single line - going to neither Woden/Tuggeranong nor Belconnen. I can't really see the point of that ...

Walter Burley Griffin had wanted a tram network in Canberra from the outset, but like so much of his and Marion's vision, that never happened.

Ian

Hey Fordman, sorry to bring the thread back on-topic, nice purchase.
Looks the goods and appears very tidy.

I've just traded-in my H45 Koleos on a pre-loved HZG Koleos.
Mine is a 2018 build (not sure of compliance) but is an S-Edition which is basically a poor-man's Intens. It has all the Intens bling but is 2WD only so was a couple of grand cheaper than the 4WD Intens. But it does have 19inch wheels and a couple of other 'unique' features that don't add anything to the value or running of the car but make it a bit different.
I too was looking at getting a new Koleos Life and Renault have a deal on the Life of around $34K drive away. But for around the same money or a bit less (depending on how old they are), I could get an Intens with all the fruit but with a few years/kms under it's belt.
Most of the extras in the Intens over the Life version don't really interest me but it does have the larger Infotainment display, powered tailgate, and seats made from real cows which I like. The heated/cooled seats and the park-assist would also be nice.
The only small thing is that the only interior colour available is black. I have the 'camel' coloured interior (call it beige) now and I would have preferred this or something similar/lighter over black but it's not a big deal. There were some sold with brown seats but the rest of the interior is black which looks odd to me.
I'm picking it up on Saturday and I am bringing my grandson along as co-pilot to work the electronics.

Cheers
RTT

Grandson is a good call so long as he is at least 2 years old. Any younger and he might not be able to help much.

No problem, grandson is 12 so he's all over this.
The hard part will be stopping him from trying everything.

No problem, grandson is 12 so he's all over this.
The hard part will be stopping him from trying everything.
Welcome to the "new" (late model) Koleos group.
Being a pre-owned car, most of the electronic selections should be adjusted reasonably well already, but the grandson may be helpful in setting up your PC to connect with R-Link and updating the GPS etc with a USB stick - all in the R-Link manual supplied.
I find with the Koleos that the basic functions are still manual, eg, heating and vent controls are simple push buttons, just need to learn the icons for identification. The fan speed adjust is nice, just touch the led display or the small/large fan icon at each end.
There are many personal settings you can make or change later on. I've eliminated all previous Bluetooth phones that have remained in memory, I like the instrument panel option of large digital speed number with "analogue type" tachometer needle, and only GPS and Radio options on central screen.
I found setting up the central screen was made more difficult by the book combining all types of screen into the same chapter. Note firstly the type of display you have, then keep that in mind as you work through it. But it all makes sense if you take your time.
One of the first things I have made myself learn, is the trip computer control on rhs steering wheel, the small rocker switch. I reset my trip meter each fuel fill, to track consumption accurately. Fairly intuitive, select trip meter reading and hold down the OK button until it stops flashing and resets to zero.
In the trip computer display also comes up any notifications. Ours had "Replace Key Card Battery" which I did but the notification remained. Hidden in the Owner's manual, reset similar to trip meter, hold OK button while message displayed, it flashes and goes off. The batteries out of the key cards still measured above 3 volts, so the message is probably date based, not actually measuring the output of the key card. Changing the key card batteries was easy, no problem (CR2032 battery - 1 in each card).
Oh, and if they are not already fitted in yours, I bought genuine Renault floor mats which hook into the hooks under the front seats to stop slipping. The mats are good fitting and fairly plush, feel good to tread on. I got a grey colour, a bit lighter than the general interior. There was a 5th mat in the pack, to cover the centre hump in the back floor - I couldn't make it sit well and will probably use it for my grandies cubby house!
Enjoy the new machine.
Cheers.

Reactions: IWS