My Brand New Second Hand Koleos.

Fordman

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Not in the same class as Frans' "new" Caravelle, nor such an exciting drive home, but last week we picked up our "new" Koleos Zen, replacing our much loved 2016 Ford Territory which unfortunately was an insurance write-off after a relatively minor accident a few weeks ago.
We were fully prepared to buy a brand new car with the latest safety features (much as I hate the constant "ding ding"s and being told to pay attention by a computer :rolleyes: ), but availability really is a problem at the moment, even for late model used vehicles. We had decided to downgrade a little, but still wanted a medium sized SUV which was capable of comfortable long distances, as we do love our West-East-West crossings of this large country.
I could actually get a brand new Koleos in stock, and was considering same, when I chanced upon a non-Renault dealer advertising about 6 Koleos all the same age, obviously ex-rental or ex-fleet vehicles. They had already sold the cheaper, more knocked about ones, which left us the more expensive but very good condition ones to look at. We have ended up with a 10/19 compliance, 30k kms, 2.5L with CVT auto, 2wd, in what I would call as new condition, obviously at much lower cost than a new one.
I am still learning how to operate everything (I'm not a teenager!) but getting there, and it is a very nice car to drive.
Here is a bit of a gallery:

IMG_20210628_115817274_HDR_red.jpg
IMG_20210628_115909498_red.jpg
IMG_20210628_115943703_HDR_red.jpg
IMG_20210628_120108873_red.jpg
IMG-20210625-WA0001_red.jpg
IMG-20210626-WA0002_red.jpg
IMG-20210626-WA0004_red.jpg

I did find something on the new Zen which is almost carried over from the 2004 Scenic. Its probably been similar on most Renaults since then?
It is poor ergonomically on both vehicles, hidden behind the steering wheel arm, but fortunately I can use it from memory.
The media selector switch thingy:

IMG_20210628_115838263_red.jpgIMG_20210628_120339335_red.jpg
2019 Koleos 2004 Scenic

Cheers :) :)

One thing we are having to get used to - walk away door locking. Hmmmmm.
With the proximity key/card in your pocket, the car locks itself when you have walked about 2 metres away from it. Seems quite convenient at first, and it is, but a couple of things happen. One is the car also has deadlocking, and we have tested this, with someone sitting in car, driver walks away with keycard, doors lock and CANNOT BE OPENED FROM INSIDE THE CAR. Even the Unlocking push-button on the dash does not open the doors, nor can the windows be wound down. Can't believe this is allowable on the market. Have tried to disable deadlocking, but haven't been successful - anybody know the secret? The manual tells how to set it, but not to deactivate the default.

On the plus side I have been able to work through the technology of setting up an account on my PC and downloading and updating the sat nav in the car. Looks like it is free for 3 years, don't know after that. But being able to update it at home is good.

Heated seats? Never had them before, but tried them earlier today as it's quite cold here - can't complain, nice touch.

And so far the Drive Safely electronics haven't been too intrusive, but I only just found where to turn on the Lane Change Warning, let's see how that works!

Nice leatherette interior too, I think better than the Rav4, Forester equivalents.

Cheers.

Do you still have your WRX Chris?

Yes, you can just see it in the carport in the last photo in my first post above.
Still looking like a new one :D. Shed queen but have been using it a bit lately of course.
Cheers.

Noice! I like the colour Chris. I think the intent of the dodgy audio control is that you are forced to learn how it works without looking at it to discourage taking your eyes of the road to look at it.

I did find something on the new Zen which is almost carried over from the 2004 Scenic. Its probably been similar on most Renaults since then?
It is poor ergonomically on both vehicles, hidden behind the steering wheel arm, but fortunately I can use it from memory.
The media selector switch thingy:

View attachment 134171View attachment 134172
2019 Koleos 2004 Scenic

Cheers :) :)

The audio controls in the Koleos have been in exactly the same place since the 2008 model and before that the same in my 1998 Scenic RX4. Twenty three years of using them will soon have you thinking you can't do without them! ;)

Next thing, like all the motoring writers, you'll be telling us you can't figure out why the cruise control switch is on the console, instead of the steering wheel. Then you'll figure out, like they haven't, that it's not the cruise control activation switch, but that it's the selector for choosing between the speed limiter and the cruise control. All the activation, + & -, off and resume buttons are actually on the wheel. 😎

Next thing, like all the motoring writers, you'll be telling us you can't figure out why the cruise control switch is on the console, instead of the steering wheel. Then you'll figure out, like they haven't, that it's not the cruise control activation switch, but that it's the selector for choosing between the speed limiter and the cruise control. All the activation, + & -, off and resume buttons are actually on the wheel. 😎

Yes, I've got that sussed OK, but it's still in a funny place! :D
No harm though, I've learnt that it remains on so you never really have to touch that switch if you use Cruise Control regularly, as I do. Most vehicles I've driven you have to turn the CC back on each time after a start.

I find the radio controls very nicely placed. The stalk falls nicely at the tips of your fingers just behind the steering wheel rim. If you don't know it's there you won't find it, if you do, it's right at your finger tips.

The cruise control dash switch can actually disactivate both cruise and speed warning (it has three positions). I tend to inadvertently switch both off when I insert the card for some reason.

Renault have had the audio controls there since the 80s - its one their best features, controls on the steering wheel are annoying..
Agree. I like steering wheel controls - the Koleos has just a nice number of switches on the wheel, decent size ones. I recently sourced a Mitsubishi Outlandish for a friend, so many little fiddly switches on the wheel, she's still trying to work it all out.
I have to say, though, the Territory ones were great, all thumb-press, no rockers, easy and ergonomic.

Just as a matter of interest - are there a few late model Koleos owners on the Forum? I know there are quite a few of the older models (owners and cars :ROFLMAO: ) but don't recall too many of the new/late models in discussions.

but a couple of things happen. One is the car also has deadlocking, and we have tested this, with someone sitting in car, driver walks away with keycard, doors lock and CANNOT BE OPENED FROM INSIDE THE CAR. Even the Unlocking push-button on the dash does not open the doors, nor can the windows be wound down. Can't believe this is allowable on the market. Have tried to disable deadlocking, but haven't been successful - anybody know the secret? The manual tells how to set it, but not to deactivate the default.

Had another look at the owners manual, and maybe I was doing it wrongly, but I seem to have deactivated Deadlocking now. (y)

The Walk Away automatic locking is fine, but the deadlocking literally freaked out my wife and daughter, for good reason. I guess if you were carrying goods/valuables in the car it would be a good feature, and can be reactivated at any time.

Cheers.

The Latitude is the same but my wife says if she hits the unlock button she can get out. But mostly she has the second key in her bag so it doesn't lock while she is in the car.

Walk Away automatic locking is fine
most of the time, but keep an eye, and ear, on it - maybe an operator fault but we have caught the Latitude out a few times. It's very easy to inadvertently push a button on the [far too big] card.
No idea how the phone etc stuff works on the stalk.... probably don't matter, SWMBO reckons the last time anyone rang her whilst driving, the car shut down the music and answered !!
The wiper electronics are interesting, on auto it can take off madly thrashing about with a tiny few drops, so, you put it onto manual, then, no rain for thirty seconds and it turns itself off.... Like the "auto/manual" gearbox, NOPE, the 'puter says, you CAN'T have the gear you want....
What ever happened to cars YOU could drive..... :)
cheers,
Bob

Encourages you to welcome driverless cars.....NOT

most of the time, but keep an eye, and ear, on it - maybe an operator fault but we have caught the Latitude out a few times. It's very easy to inadvertently push a button on the [far too big] card.
No idea how the phone etc stuff works on the stalk.... probably don't matter, SWMBO reckons the last time anyone rang her whilst driving, the car shut down the music and answered !!
The wiper electronics are interesting, on auto it can take off madly thrashing about with a tiny few drops, so, you put it onto manual, then, no rain for thirty seconds and it turns itself off.... Like the "auto/manual" gearbox, NOPE, the 'puter says, you CAN'T have the gear you want....
What ever happened to cars YOU could drive..... :)
cheers,
Bob

Bob, I suspect that you hanker for the return of the days of open cars, flying helmets, no synchro, cable brakes, outside gear levers and seats stuffed with horsehair. You admit yourself that you haven't a clue how a bluetooth phone works so it is not hard to imagine why you would be so easily confused by auto wipers, auto headlights and auto gearboxes, none of which are uncontrollable! A good place to start learning about these things would be by reading the instruction manuals which invariably accompany them. Not all things work the same way in different vehicles, which is why, I suppose, that you are required to have a check-out ride before you can fly a different aircraft, even ones of your vintage....... ;)

Bob, I suspect that you hanker for the return of the days of open cars, flying helmets, no synchro, cable brakes, outside gear levers and seats stuffed with horsehair. You admit yourself that you haven't a clue how a bluetooth phone works so it is not hard to imagine why you would be so easily confused by auto wipers, auto headlights and auto gearboxes, none of which are uncontrollable! A good place to start learning about these things would be by reading the instruction manuals which invariably accompany them. Not all things work the same way in different vehicles, which is why, I suppose, that you are required to have a check-out ride before you can fly a different aircraft, even ones of your vintage....... ;)
That's a bit harsh, Kim.
I consider myself technically competent, and pretty good with PCs, mobiles, Bluetooth, etc, but these new cars don't make it easy, possibly by design, although I am not going into conspiracy theories. 😎
I can understand how the average person, of any age, would have great difficulty in understanding and using all the features on a new car, and I experience this regularly with questions from many of both older and younger members of my extended family and friends.
I will gradually work through this one and end up understanding 99% of it, but I guess that most people want to just get in the car and drive it.
I don't hold this against the Koleos, because it seems all cars are the same now.
Why am I getting a media screen message "Your Subscription is about to Expire"? My subscription to what?
This latest model is advertised with Apple and Android Car Play. On trying to set up for Android I now see an asterisk in the user manual - small print end of page - only after a certain date. (Date not specified).
Simple task, set up mobile Bluetooth for hands free. Pairing my fairly recent Motorola Mobile was easy, but the Contacts can't be loaded. Every car I have used since about 2010 can do that automatically. It looks like my Renault doesn't work fully unless I have an Apple phone. Is that a good thing, is that right?
I am trying to find the Service Schedule for the car. In the Service/Maintenance handbook it says service every 12months/30000kms. What is in the service? Refer to renault.com.au. Done that - if you can find out what constitutes a basic service you are a better man than I, Gunga Din. 😀
I did find the list of extra items to be carried out at longer intervals, eg, sparkplugs, coolant change,etc, but only in their Capped Price Servicing schedule.
And the engine oil specs - top secret.

As I said, this is not just Renault, and I will work through it, but I think it's fair to say that most people would be completely in the dark, but this is good for dealer Service Departments, isn't it?

Cheers.

Each car comes with a Service Manual, which should be stamped by the servicing agent after each service, which also details what is required per service as well as an owners manual, unless for some reason they have stopped the practice. As far as your "subscription" is concerned we get the same message on the Megane. You will probably need to connect to R-Link. Every now and then I put an 8 gb memory stick in a USB slot for about 10 minutes whilst the car is running. Transferring it to a PC allows you to connect to R-Link to download any Oceania map updates and anything else you might need. The memory stick is then transferred back to the car USB and left in the slot whilst running for anything up to 30 minutes although generally not anywhere near that long to update the system. Afterwards it seems the subscription warning disappears until "next time". Can't help you with the Android bit, the other half has an Apple which I hooked up to the Megane via bluetooth. As for servicing, we have had our last four new cars serviced by a Renault Dealer economically and with no problems.