My 505 resto (sort of) complete

more pics

SL375885.jpgSL375893.jpgSL375892.jpgSL375891.jpgSL375890.jpgSL375889.jpgSL375888.jpgSL375887.jpgSL375886.jpgSL375894.jpg

That was quick! Thanks very much.
That stick-on chrome strip looks really good. Did you stick it directly onto the windscreen rubber and the gutter, or is it stuck to the old plastic trim?
Was it the correct width, or did you have to trim it? I must nip down to Supercheap and suss out the stuff.

the roof gutter chrome trim is the the stuff from supercheap, i had to cut it to length but 1 roll was more than enough to do both sides of the roof. the one i used is 10mm in width and if i recall correctly its about 27 bucks. the double sided tape provided is very good quality so just ripped off the old trim, gave the surface a clean and then stuck the new one on. as for the bumper i think i used 6mm trim from ebay, the adhesive was rubbish so i used sikaflex instead, the window border trim is 8mm, again the adhesive was crap so its sika'd down.

Great, thanks. I wasn't sure if it was actual replacement trim, or if it was just like a sort of chrome tape.

no worries. its just chrome tape stuff. i think it would be near impossible finding replacement trim for a car of this vintage. BTW if you replace your window border chrome trim, just pull off the actual metal film and not the plastic wedge thing thats stuck in a gap in the window rubber, because thats what holds the window in.

Thanks for the tip.
You know how the trim that presses into the windscreen and rear window rubbers is sort of T-shaped, with a small barb on the end of the base of the Tee to hold it in; well that type of trim is called Christmas Tree trim because of the shape of the barbed section - like the classic stylized Christmas tree symbol. Anyway, you can buy panel shop tools to remove and insert Christmas tree trim, so I assumed that it was a common trim type and that there would be plenty of other cars that used similar trim but are either more common than the 505, or for which there was generic aftermarket trim available, or there was reproduction stuff made. Then it would just be a matter of getting some and cutting it to length, and pressing it in. But I've never found any.

While I think of it,your alternator appears to be Motorola [I think] if so look under and around it for something like brown oil stains,my recent experience [there's be a gap of about 20 years since I worked on 505s in my workshop -- and that was all makes] is that the potting goo,in the built in regulator turns to liquid an runs down,and on a Douvrin engine it stains the a/c compressor below the alterator,its a good idea to check it anyway,I have a car here that copped a new alternator from a dealer --cost over $600 plus fitting ,may have been the reg that went taking the alt with it who knows? More likely just the reg.
But if you see this "staining" or not aftermarket regulators are cheap and can save a lot of moolah! baz

the alternator on there now is just some random unit from a junk yard, not sure what its off but it does the job.

yes, i did a primer, base and clear on places where the paint had to be stripped back to metal, and just a quick sand then base + clear on areas that were not too bad... i haven't polished it just yet.

I think you should have primed everywhere. Iffy to put acrylic straight on top of the original enamel. A different story if it already had acrylic, but that's unlikely. Anyhow, be careful cutting it back, it may tend to flake off.

Have fun,

Rob.