My 405 is 'Missing" !

James

Fellow Frogger
I should'nt have let my father drive the car while I was in Canada......... stone chips littering the bonnet dings in the paint 17 inch wheels "curbed" and worst of all there is a miss I cannot diagnose.
Plugs are all good, leads good, timing good, compressions good, coil good, rotor and cap good, HT lead good. Carbs are balanced with clean jets, mixture is good. I am stumped. At idle and reving good, but under load misses intermittantly on two cylenders ?
The only other thing it may be is the 'timing- module' mounted to the front of the distributer. Will put another one on today ........
Any other idea's ? :confused:

Fuel pump or fuel filter problem perhaps, James? Insufficient supply under load? Perhaps this errant father of yours has run the tank down to its last drops and clogged the filter with sediment from the bottom of the tank?

Or perhaps an air filter obstruction? Did those stone chips come from an attempt to emulate a flying Finn on some track out back of beyond? Maybe the car was eating dust as well as rocks?

Damaged cat or other exhaust obstruction? (could be caused by either of the possibilities above - bad fuel or rough roads) Maybe he put in a dose of leaded or LRP fuel?

What else? intermittent ignition LT lead short or loose connection? vacuum problem? Ignition advance problem? contaminated petrol? emission control gear problem?

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 14 May 2002, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>

Tried the ignition module ....NADA same fu#*en miss !
New 8mm leads still missing..... considering not enough power to the coil so will run a wire from the +ve on the battery to the +ve on the coil hopefully some more power will help..........
Thanks R, eek!

Had a similar problem on an Renault 18 years ago. It would run to 7000rpm in 3rd but would not pull 60kph in 5th. After changing everything incl. the distributor, found it was the coil. I had assumed if it would run to 7000, that 2000 would would not require as much energy.
Alan.

Well upgraded thge entire electronic system leads, coil, plugs, distributer, ignition module etc.........and the damn thing was still missing.
In a last ditch effort dropped it off at an old guys shop who used to build race engines.
He took it for a drive came back opened the bonnet turned a screw and it was fixed !
Aparantly a nut on the underside of the weber had fallen out wich basically starved fuel to one emulsion chamber.
So I topped it up with AV Gas did a few burn outs then drove like a father should to pick up my daughter from day care.
Im stoked tongue