My 404C resto begins!

Polished up the oil filter housing.
oil filter housing.jpg

This arrived from Sochaux France (Peugeot Classic) this morning. I have another shipment of stuff arriving from the same source in the middle of next week. The long-awaited camshaft will be bailed out of the post office by me tomorrow morning (some duties are payable on that because it was expensive). I'll post a photo when it is here.

Oil pump filter 2.jpg

Oil Pump filter new 1.jpg

Nice one Mike,
It's like Christmas every time something arrives from Europe. The delivery times are slow with Covid though. Been waiting for a parcel from L'Adventure, which departed France nearly 3 weeks ago. Heaven knows when my German parcels will arrive.
cheers
Dan

The second day of Christmas, though I had to pay $82 to bail this "present" out of the post office:

Coated in the usual preservative, looking good.

Camshaft new.jpg

Fantastic, Mike. Even from Australia, just seeing the brand new injection crank has got me going!

The hunt for NOS parts is something that makes a resto, even more rewarding. It is amazing what is still out there!

I ordered some 0.5 mm oversized main bearings sent from Peugeot but they sent the wrong ones - three main bearing lead-Indium 404 Injection mains 0.3 mm oversized (visible in the photo). So the correct ones have been sent today, and it seems they don't want the incorrect ones back.

Also in the shipment were the things in the photo. New stainless steel instrument panel trim for when I eventually build the Jaeger sports instrument panel, plus a spare oil pressure sending unit.

In the bag are some original type small diameter hose clamps for the heater hoses.

I also got some English language owners manuals of cars I've had (404C) or wanted (504C). The latest bit - 504 C owners manual, La Production Peugeot 1963 and a first edition 404 Cabriolet French language owners manual - should be here soon.

I will work on extracting the sludge trap plugs from the crankshaft this weekend. Likely have to drill all 4 out.

A set of the missing brass banjo fittings for the front drums has been sent by a kind soul in France, a 404 Club member - free! I'll send him something as a thank you.
Sochaux parts.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mike,
What treasures you have found! Thank you for sharing, it is great stuff to see, still usable and going into, your cabriolet.
I loved the gear fuel pump. That is the coolest. Waht a find!

I ordered some 0.5 mm oversized main bearings sent from Peugeot but they sent the wrong ones - three main bearing lead-Indium 404 Injection mains 0.3 mm oversized (visible in the photo). So the correct ones have been sent today, and it seems they don't want the incorrect ones back.

Also in the shipment were the things in the photo. New stainless steel instrument panel trim for when I eventually build the Jaeger sports instrument panel, plus a spare oil pressure sending unit.

In the bag are some original type small diameter hose clamps for the heater hoses.

I also got some English language owners manuals of cars I've had (404C) or wanted (504C). The latest bit - 504 C owners manual, La Production Peugeot 1963 and a first edition 404 Cabriolet French language owners manual - should be here soon.

I will work on extracting the sludge trap plugs from the crankshaft this weekend. Likely have to drill all 4 out.

A set of the missing brass banjo fittings for the front drums has been sent by a kind soul in France, a 404 Club member - free! I'll send him something as a thank you.
Sochaux parts.jpg
Drill out where the plugs have been centre punched into the thread, they will then most likely unscrew without too much effort.

Sochaux parts.jpg

Sochaux parts.jpg
How can put in an order for an instruction book? I would like to order book in english for my 504 C ,preferably for the correct year ,1973.

How can put in an order for an instruction book? I would like to order book in english for my 504 C ,preferably for the correct year ,1973.

https://www.pieces-de-rechange-classic.com/504/181293-notice-utilisation-504-coupe-cab-1972.html

That's the one I ordered and is the only English language one I found. Make sure if you order that you use the "Code Promo" "ETE2020" on the right hand side where the total bill is shown in order to get a 20% discount. Good until August 15th so act fast!

1972 is not quite 1973 but I suspect they may have put the 1972 booklet in the 1973 models anyway. That certainly was the case for the 404C.

Here are the powdercoated valve cover, timing cover and sump. Plus the spare wheel and coil holder. Looking good - despite the photo being taken in the light rain.

In the cardboard box is an 0.5 mm oversize set of mains from l'Aventure Peugeot, but two of them have chattering marks on them from bad storage so I'll be looking for another set.

Mains not that easy to get for pre 1970 404. After 1970 they used the same bearings as the 2 litre 504.

https://www.pieces-de-rechange-classic.com/504/181293-notice-utilisation-504-coupe-cab-1972.html

That's the one I ordered and is the only English language one I found. Make sure if you order that you use the "Code Promo" "ETE2020" on the right hand side where the total bill is shown in order to get a 20% discount. Good until August 15th so act fast!

1972 is not quite 1973 but I suspect they may have put the 1972 booklet in the 1973 models anyway. That certainly was the case for the 404C.
I went to that rather long website and tried to put in an order for an english language book only to be told they were out of stock. 40 euros seemed like a high price [most others were 33] plus whatever else for shipping so i will just leave it for now .

I got mine today: English language 504 C manual (my Dad wanted to buy one when we lived in the Netherlands in 1971 but he was told it would be illegal to import to Canada, which I think was wrong because he was in the armed forces and could have brought a non-conforming car back). Maybe I bought the last one? Cost me 26 Euros plus postage along with the other three items (hose clamps too). French language 404 cabriolet manual, first edition I think. 1963 catalogue of all the various vehicles Peugeot made in 1963.

Attachments

• manuals.jpg
    manuals.jpg
    531 KB · Views: 167
I just checked the site and they're still available, I was able to put one in my panier. It would make more sense if there are some other 504C parts you could also order at the same time.