My 404C resto begins!

Sensational!! Congratulations my friend, it is another major milestone reached.
One can never have enough old blankets etc., when installing the motor.
Cheers
Dano

Got some more installation done today before heading out on a bike ride (bicycle).
engine inst2.jpeg
Engine inst3.jpeg
Engine inst1.jpeg

Mike,
The black engine bay looks good.
Except for imported models, they were all colour matched down-under. Did you fabricate the fuel lines? They look good. You'll have to keep them polished...
Do you have a date in mind for the turn of key/completion?
Cheers,
Dan

The engine bay is the same colour as the car's body - dark blue - all 404Cs were painted like this. It just looks black in low light.

I estimate I'll be attempting starting in May sometime. Still have some engine accessories to install and then fluids and braking equipment in the engine compartment.

The fuel injector lines were just plated in copper.

If your scratching your head, over my black engine bay comment, I am shade colour blind. A rarity so I was told. The optometrist that picked it up, was having a great laugh at my expense, when he was conduction the colour-blind test.

If your scratching your head, over my black engine bay comment, I am shade colour blind. A rarity so I was told. The optometrist that picked it up, was having a great laugh at my expense, when he was conduction the colour-blind test.
Well I'm not aware that I have any colour perception problems, and it looks black to me too! Blame it on the camera and the low light.

Last edited:
One of the hoses I hadn't managed to get a good replacement for up to today has finally been found - at Serie04. This is the one that connects the Hydrovac (brake booster) slave cylinder to the brake piping. An exact match, Made in France.
Hydrovac Hose.jpeg

One of the hoses I hadn't managed to get a good replacement for up to today has finally been found - at Serie04. This is the one that connects the Hydrovac (brake booster) slave cylinder to the brake piping. An exact match, Made in France.View attachment 132339
Another smile moment. All part of the chase for originality.

It was a good find. I had ordered one from Alveas but it was not correct.

One more little detail - you may recall that I had 8 injector lines replated in copper and that they required manual pigging out due to old fuel and rust (!) inside from either long term storage (for the old spare set) or disuse and Ethanol-containing fuel (the original set from the car).

Before tentatively mounting the ones on the engine that you see in the photo thirteen posts back, I sprayed WD40 and MolySlip Combat through them again and a few more bits of particulate came out. Flushed them again but I am not confident that there is not still some in there, and the last thing I'd want to do is contaminate the new old stock Kugelfischer injectors (worth $800 USD each and basically unobtanium) with this sort of crap! The last filtration before the injector is at the suction valve on the bottom of the hydraulic head, so the cleanliness of the balance of the fuel delivery system is paramount.

I therefore have decided to have them professionally cleaned inside, however that can be done. I will be looking at some local diesel injection shops for this service.

I have one new old stock line for the injectors (wish I had 4) so that one can be the "control".

Last edited:
I commissioned this bit of minimalist digital art from The Architects Garage in Vancouver. My 404C in front of the Pininfarina factory in Torino as it was in 1966. The building is accurate - by 1967 this site was sold and Pininfarina had moved into its new premises in Grugliasco. I have a higher resolution version for printing (too big to post here).
Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 11.50.06 AM.png

I had misplaced this item - turned the garage inside out to look for it and then found it in the most obvious of locations! They're impossible to get now in Europe, though my friend Tim in Victoria BC has a spare, as it turned out.
Master cylinder reservoir.jpeg

Parts, they do have a habit of moving or Pixies really do exist. God knows how much time has been lost, searching for safely stored parts. The tagged, bagged and catalogued ones aren't immune from going missing either.

The new master cylinder is installed along with the glass fluid reservoir I found yesterday. The brake line that takes fluid from the Hydrovac booster to the wheels is now connected to its hose (the new one I got last week) and it's bolted to the firewall.
Master cylinder and output line installed.jpeg