My 404C resto begins!

Next step now that it's home is to paint the block after getting the flash rust off it. Also got from Peugeot Classic a Peugeot branded warning triangle and a plug wrench to carry in the car.

Twin engined B200.jpg

Triangle and plug wrench.jpg

Long Block at home.jpg
404 head? The Welch plugs look a bit late, KF6 head?

It's basically ready to go in the car. I will not put the intake manifold on now because the chains from the factory hoist bar chafe it so I'll put them on once it's in the car. The distributor/oil pump drive has to be properly oriented before assembly (and retained by the distributor collar or it will fall out when the engine's upside down).
IMG_7380.jpeg
IMG_7382.jpeg
IMG_7383.jpeg
IMG_7384.jpeg

That motor rebuild is a work of art Peter!

Interesting the oil filter housing. Can you only use that or can you screw a purflux oil filter (or similar)?

You can bolt the later oil filter/alternator assembly on to use the screw on filters. Trouble is that these are hard to get, the cartridge type is probably easier these days. EAI make do with an Audi filter. I bought a heap of late 404/504 filters from Repco, $2-80 each! They wanted $50 or so for the probably inferior Ryco ones. The cheap ones had the proper indentations for the Purflux tool.

With the cartridge ones it's important to use OE if at all possible. I understand that several "pattern parts" made in Asia look at a glance right but the length of the insert is about 5 mm too short, which of course means nothing is filtered. The only solution would be to add another longer spring inside the shell but if the thing is too short, it probably won't actually filter anything even if the oil does flow through it.

I like these cartridges better than spin-ons. They look better too.

Mike,
We could be brothers? My bathroom reno, has also taken me away from working on my 404.
Everything you're doing is brilliant.
Cheers,
Dan

The hood has been removed in anticipation of the upcoming engine installation. Ready to go except for me moving the unlicensed smart out of the garage, moving the engine from its stand to the hydraulic crane, mounting the clutch driven disc and pressure plate, then mounting it. I'l have to wait for a day when my eldest daughter is available. Maybe the next couple of days, maybe a bit later. The green tape and padding are some of the precautions I have employed to protect the paint from damage when removing the hood and installing the engine.
Hood off.jpeg

Tonight I made room in the garage by moving the smart out and transferred the engine from the stand to the hoist. The clutch assembly was then added - the closeup photo of the pressure plate shows it before it was tightened and with the centring tool in position. The Peugeot factory hooks work on the KF2 engine with the injection manifold off so I was able to not use chains as I did when removing it with the manifold in position back in December 2016. Monday it goes in the car - that is the plan! Should be quick, but you never know...
Engine hoist 2.jpeg
Engine hoist.jpeg
Engine hoist 3.jpeg
Engine hoist 1.jpeg

Love it! Looking so good.

Tonight I made room in the garage by moving the smart out and transferred the engine from the stand to the hoist. The clutch assembly was then added - the closeup photo of the pressure plate shows it before it was tightened and with the centring tool in position. The Peugeot factory hooks work on the KF2 engine with the injection manifold off so I was able to not use chains as I did when removing it with the manifold in position back in December 2016. Monday it goes in the car - that is the plan! Should be quick, but you never know...View attachment 132026View attachment 132027View attachment 132028View attachment 132029
nice job mike, those inlet ports would be begging for coverage to keep out intruders... jim

The engine went in today just after noon, very smoothly. The long part of the grey Peugeot-Fenwick lifting bar was reversed before final installation, because it would have tagged the firewall! Since the last photo, the starter motor and its sheet metal plate and intake support rod and the two other metal plates that seal the bell housing, fuel lift pump and fuel filter assembly plus a few other bits and pieces have been added.
Jenn on hoist.jpeg
under the car.jpeg
engine installed.jpeg

Last edited: